Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

London Tower Block Engulfed In Flames

Dr Faustus

Sounds like the insulation was polystyrene, well-known for accelerating fires.

There are alternatives such as PIR or Rockwool but I guess more expensive or deemed unsuitable.

We used to use that stuff.

Cheapest shit on the market that was seldom used. They may as well have wrapped the building in scrunched up newspaper and straw.

Diabolical.

I know the main thing is to prevent fires like this, but I hope somebody can come up with some alternative rescue.  Fireman's ladders, I believe can only reach about 7 floors and that's if they can get near enough.  But there must be some other things that could be tried for those faced with the horrific choice of burn or jump (sorry to be blunt).  Cherry pickers, nets, I really don't know, thinking out loud but surely more lives could be saved?

is going to the roof and being picked up by a helicopter never a Opposition

I know the main thing is to prevent fires like this, but I hope somebody can come up with some alternative rescue.  Fireman's ladders, I believe can only reach about 7 floors and that's if they can get near enough.  But there must be some other things that could be tried for those faced with the horrific choice of burn or jump (sorry to be blunt).  Cherry pickers, nets, I really don't know, thinking out loud but surely more lives could be saved?

Surely fire escapes are designed to protect from smoke / fire??

Don't know how to multi quote, but helicopters can't get near because of the smoke.  Fire escapes are obviously supposed to be the main route, but there should still be some kind of alternative.  Most fire doors around escapes give, I think 30 or 60 mins of protection.  But that depends on somebody not propping the doors open (it happens a lot).  We had a serious fire last year, but the flat had had fire doors, and every single gap around pipework (to other flats) had been filled.  The flat was completely ruined (and most of the cladding outside the flat) but the others in the block were completely unaffected.  If it's done right, people have time to get out.  There are a lot more measures to stop fire spread but I suppose it depends on how much money councils have to do it.

I don't know the full details of this but heard that the fire alarms didn't even sound.  That's shocking.  One woman and her family were saved because her mate rang her.  If it had happened earlier in the night, maybe more might have got out.  It's just bloody awful.

Apparently residents say they've complained about the fire alarms as in some flats they are barely audible. In the flats I've lived/stayed in when a fire alarm goes off you know about it

The more I read the more it screams incompetence on so many levels and it's tragic that it's come to this

• Moderators

Surely that's against building regs?

Been led to beleive that all the buildings when refurbished had been done so to the regulations

So it's those that will be under scrutiny now

Surely that's against building regs?

It has to be.

There was No sprinkler system and no central alarm system either.

The more I read the more I can't believe.

The last major contract i worked on was Blackpool tower. We were pulled on an MF ceiling we installed because we'd used timber soldier blocks hammered into Steel webbing to fix to. The fire officer pulled and we had to replace the timber with fire proof supalux such was the stringent regs.

In big jobs like that there literally is no stone unturned. I just don't get how this has happened.

Don't know how to multi quote, but helicopters can't get near because of the smoke.  Fire escapes are obviously supposed to be the main route, but there should still be some kind of alternative.  Most fire doors around escapes give, I think 30 or 60 mins of protection.  But that depends on somebody not propping the doors open (it happens a lot).  We had a serious fire last year, but the flat had had fire doors, and every single gap around pipework (to other flats) had been filled.  The flat was completely ruined (and most of the cladding outside the flat) but the others in the block were completely unaffected.  If it's done right, people have time to get out.  There are a lot more measures to stop fire spread but I suppose it depends on how much money councils have to do it.

I don't know the full details of this but heard that the fire alarms didn't even sound.  That's shocking.  One woman and her family were saved because her mate rang her.  If it had happened earlier in the night, maybe more might have got out.  It's just bloody awful.

I remember being on a job once painted all the FIRE doors and propped them all open with the Fire Extinguishers

some Fire H&S bloke come on site

he said that's a New One ive never seen Before

Sounds like the insulation was polystyrene, well-known for accelerating fires.

There are alternatives such as PIR or Rockwool but I guess more expensive or deemed unsuitable.

Reading a bit more about this, it seems ACM (aluminium compsite material) cladding was used which has a polyethylene core

and also picked this up from a NZ website, company who I've worked with in the past.

Thermosash has been primarily utilizing Fire Rated ACM (complying with AS1530 Part 3) on external building facades due to the core of non-fire rated products ability to sustain fire. It is our opinion that despite the non-fire rated version being allowed to be used for external cladding - it is not appropriate and NZ codes should be changed to reflect this. This picture indicates a high rise fire with a non rated ACM. Not only is the specification a concern for life safety in a building but for those outside also from falling debris.

nonfirerated%20acm_1.jpg

it's better to learn from other people's mistakes

Edited by jayjayoghani

• Site Supporter

It has to be.

There was No sprinkler system and no central alarm system either.

The more I read the more I can't believe.

The last major contract i worked on was Blackpool tower. We were pulled on an MF ceiling we installed because we'd used timber soldier blocks hammered into Steel webbing to fix to. The fire officer pulled and we had to replace the timber with fire proof supalux such was the stringent regs.

In big jobs like that there literally is no stone unturned. I just don't get how this has happened.

An expert on telly last night said that sprinklers required in Scotland. Only recommended in the rest of uk. Not compulsory. Yet.

An expert on telly last night said that sprinklers required in Scotland. Only recommended in the rest of uk. Not compulsory. Yet.

Would sprinklers have helped?

One woman and her family (above the fire) were saved as she flooded her apartment. You wonder if sprinklers haven't been installed on blocks before because of potential claims after small fires.

Huge changes will be made after this, it's just tragic that it takes an horrific incident to prompt it

• Site Supporter

Would sprinklers have helped?

Seems mixed views.

One person said not- possibly because of the ferocity.

Maybe they might have given folk more time to be rescued, I guess this will come out in the wash.

Mayor of London getting some stick- one Mon heckling him for not supporting JC or something.

I know there's a lot of justifiable anger, but abusing his ilk isn't going to bring back those that have perished.

Sad thing is a newly refurbished office block wouldn't have gone up like that.

Why sad ?

As I work on the 26th floor!

Edited by boltondiver

When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's there seemed to be a lot more disasters; plane crashes, Tube crashes, ferries sinking etc.

Maybe something in that health and safety thing with these tragedies lessening in frequency.

I'm sure H&S standards are getting better, they have to be

A piece on sky news going through previous disasters and the learnings that came out of them

It's no comfort for the people involved here but this won't happen again, we're very good at learning from events like this and making sure they don't

is the cause of this known yet?

also, the picture on the front of todays paper doesnt sit right with me at all. picture of a building in flames while people were still obviously trapped inside.

its just fucking wrong, how are they allowed to print that ffs

Edited by L/H White