Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

40 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Dollar now 1.11 against the pound 

Indeed

We're having a "crisis" meeting about it at work next week. This is very, very serious for the UK

Thickos and those who know next to fuck all about business will be touting that it's great for exports though, in reality, it really isn't

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Labour will win the next election

Tories know this

So leave them having to increase taxes and basically look like the baddies.

Meanwhile the Tories are feathering the nests of their core base.

Jobs fucked

But at least the bankers won't move to Singapore eh? We can console ourselves with that.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Indeed

We're having a "crisis" meeting about it at work next week. This is very, very serious for the UK

Thickos and those who know next to fuck all about business will be touting that it's great for exports though, in reality, it really isn't

The markets are spooked...

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Indeed

Was it good for you then when the pound was very strong?

I ask this, as business folk that were interviewed previously said it would help them if it was weaker. I guess it depends upon where you get your materials from initially. No one size fits all situation, and what suits your sector doesn't necessarily work for others.

I don't think those business folk saying that are thickos neither.

Anyway, interest rates have gone up now more in line with other major nations which should see the pound strengthen. 

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Spider said:

Labour will win the next election

Tories know this

So leave them having to increase taxes and basically look like the baddies.

Meanwhile the Tories are feathering the nests of their core base.

Jobs fucked

Will you be returning you tax savings then?

Your employer has just been thrust a load of tax savings and energy protections. 

No mention of it I see. 

At times, you're a pudding.

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Your employer has just been thrust a load of tax savings and energy protections. 

No mention of it I see. 

My employer will be paying more for our imports than any tax “saving” because of the knock on effects this budget will have.

This has not gone down well with our purchasing team at all.

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No mention of it I see. 

Usual spiel from the usual suspects.

Perhaps if tax had risen by 1%, Corp tax became 25% in April, we stopped helping Ukraine, made planning regulations more difficult etc etc some people would be delighted as long as the bankers were hardest hit. You know, them intelligent folk who'll get us out this mess as has happened in cycles for donkeys years

Anyone - and I mean anyone who is defending this course of action (which as Mick says was always on the cards) is not a conservative. Or rather isn't a conservative of Thacherist kind which knew it had to knit together the new economic libetarianism and the old parts of the social party.

This Free Enterprise Group - Skidmore, Kwartang, Raab, Truss etc etc have cut a swathe through the party under the banner of social liberalism, which is itsn't, its a destructive economic liberalism that we are now the petra dish of the experiment which so far has only lived in the heads of this group and on the pages of their writings.

It's far too black and white - either regualtion or growth - it misunderstands the world is a much more complex place. For very bright people they are peddling a dud which we will bare the brunt of. And the poorest will be hit even harder. Social division will grow, life opportunites will lessen. After having a mini tour of Wigan, Oldham and Blackpool over the last week I'm dumbfounded that anyone in declining Northern towns are swallowing this nonsense. Trust me, these towns, your communities will be hit hardest, and first. Pull the drawbridge up, but you'll be surrounded by places that will slip further into decline and people will leave.

Freeports, or Special Economic Zones, will be what they will sell you. Based in Tessside and Merseyside as the answer to levelling up. Let capitalism strive, no state intervention - even though even on the Gov.uk site that there is no deregulatory intervention, that's excatly what this is. They will promise to promote regenration by bringing highly skilled jobs to these areas which will bring with it - and I quote ''sustainable econmic growth and regenration for communities that need it most.'' All it will do is move one activity to another place at the cost to the taxpayer. We will be paying for this, and will see no benefits. And lets not forget that this isn't new, they were started in the 80s and then phased out in 2012 as they didn't really benefit anyone. Just remeber that before they start banging on about Singapore-Upon-Humber.

And the final nail is this particularly delightful coffin is that this group blames us - yes the British people - for low econmic growth, that safety nets have allowed us to become idle. We work longer hours than any other country other than Germany, we retire later than the Germans. We pay more for childcare which means we have a higher than average part-time working culture which doesn't bring the working average down but just to state that doesn't tell the full picture. Once part-time and self-emplyed are taken into account we are on par with Germany. The richest in the country who have had the most opportunities are telling the poorest that the balmes lies with them, but they can solve it through less investment to help them out of the situation. It's absolutley, mindbendingly nuts.

Ah, fuck it. The game is up, lets sit back and watch what we have foisted upon ourselves.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Perhaps if tax had risen by 1%, Corp tax became 25% in April, we stopped helping Ukraine, made planning regulations more difficult etc etc some people would be delighted as long as the bankers were hardest hit. You know, them intelligent folk who'll get us out this mess as has happened in cycles for donkeys years

You mean the ones who crashed the banking system in 2008 and were bailed out by tax payers?

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Spider said:

My employer will be paying more for our imports than any tax “saving” because of the knock on effects this budget will have.

This has not gone down well with our purchasing team at all.

Maybe your employers are 'puddings' too? Can they not just fly a Union Jack from the roof of the office?

35 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Do you doff your cap when you go in the bank ? 
Every change announced today has an enhanced benefit for the better off.

There again you maybe right you might want to inform the City Bankers who despite being personally better off have reacted  in an over whelming negative way to the changes. 

Edited by Ani

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Ani said:

Do you doff your cap when you go in the bank ? 
Every change announced today has an enhanced benefit for the better off.

There again you maybe right you might want to inform the City Bankers who despite being personally better off have reacted  in an over whelming negative way to the changes. 

To be honest, i've not overly looked at what's come out just yet. I know scrapping IR35 is excellent for me but not looked past the headlines really.

I could have forecast very easily though what the elite of this thread would have come out with whatever was announced. If it was labour, they'd have rejoiced the same announcements. This thread is stuck on repeat, i really don't know why I bother looking at it - in fact I just have for the last time, 2440 pages of stuck on a loop shite

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

To be honest, i've not overly looked at what's come out just yet. I know scrapping IR35 is excellent for me but not looked past the headlines really.

I could have forecast very easily though what the elite of this thread would have come out with whatever was announced. If it was labour, they'd have rejoiced the same announcements. This thread is stuck on repeat, i really don't know why I bother looking at it - in fact I just have for the last time, 2440 pages of stuck on a loop shite

Tremendous. 😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

If Labour had have come our with this, they certainly wouldn't be getting my support.

It seems your response is more along the lines of, if it winds up the left, fuck it.

It's also why they can get away with this economic experiment.

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

To be honest if Labour had done this then I think everyone would have been in a state of shock, this is old school Conservative policy. No labour supporter, old or new, would expect these sorts of policy announcements.

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Jesus.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

did ye, aye?

Just now, Nowack said:

To be honest if Labour had done this then I think everyone would have been in a state of shock, this is old school Conservative policy. No labour supporter, old or new, would expect these sorts of policy announcements.

No progressive Tory would support this either. 
We have had 12 years of Tory Govt so most things that are getting changed are Tory policies. 
After Brexit the Tories had broken the red wall and had every chance to become a party that genuinely represented a wider spectrum of the country which would have been good for everyone in the long run. 
Leveling up has been chucked out of the window and replaced with lining the pockets of the richest. 

4 minutes ago, Ani said:

No progressive Tory would support this either. 
We have had 12 years of Tory Govt so most things that are getting changed are Tory policies. 
After Brexit the Tories had broken the red wall and had every chance to become a party that genuinely represented a wider spectrum of the country which would have been good for everyone in the long run. 
Leveling up has been chucked out of the window and replaced with lining the pockets of the richest. 

Aye.

They're not even pretending to give a fuck.