Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

Why spend billions on attracting battery manufacturers to come here then piss off the entire car industry a few weeks later?

Its almost like he’s trying to encourage a vote of no confidence in the government and force an election.

I’m not even kidding. I suspect they want out, such is the shitshow.

this is a mindless decision he’s making. 

Edited by Spider

10 hours ago, Spider said:

Why spend billions on attracting battery manufacturers to come here then piss off the entire car industry a few weeks later?

Its almost like he’s trying to encourage a vote of no confidence in the government and force an election.

I’m not even kidding. I suspect they want out, such is the shitshow.

this is a mindless decision he’s making. 

It’s hardly a cataclysmic change from what I’m hearing boilers and cars get few years extra… that seems common sense to me.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, BobyBrno said:

Bringing us in line with the rest of Europe as well.

Thousands of companies have been urged to gear up and invest for the switch away from gas and oil boilers.

The government have created policies that inform companies of plans and grants.

To now scale that back is going to ruin many businesses and lives with it.

Sorry to burst your cosy bubbles, but out here in the actual industry he’s doing this to, people are fucking furious.

11 minutes ago, Spider said:

And Europe are light years ahead of us in this regard, so it’s not even a comparison.

So, light years ahead with a target of 2035? It’s still going to happen, just takes a little longer. Many businesses will be pleased that they have longer to phase out. Winners and winners in my book. 

• Site Supporter

A decision based on short term electioneering. For me, it's the opposite of what Rishi claims.

Can understand why he's doing it- the by-election in Boris' seat was a pointer- and all parties are ratcheting up their efforts. 

A mistake nonetheless for me. 

As I said elsewhere, the industry is shifting that way, and Ford aren't happy. Others will no doubt feel the same.

Same hackneyed comments about people not being able to afford evs tripped out, even though such comments aren't accurate, and don't stand up to scrutiny. 

The ban was only on new ice vehicles, and doesn't stop folk driving ones they currently have.

Evs over the course of their lives are no more expensive and are improving continuously. 

There is already a decent number of second hand evs available for those for whom a new car is out of the question.

It will allow the distribution companies more time to get increases cabling done etc, but they mustn't ease back on the required infrastructure, as it is only a 5 year delay. If they do, then the same questions will exist.

26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A decision based on short term electioneering. For me, it's the opposite of what Rishi claims.

Can understand why he's doing it- the by-election in Boris' seat was a pointer- and all parties are ratcheting up their efforts. 

A mistake nonetheless for me. 

As I said elsewhere, the industry is shifting that way, and Ford aren't happy. Others will no doubt feel the same.

Same hackneyed comments about people not being able to afford evs tripped out, even though such comments aren't accurate, and don't stand up to scrutiny. 

The ban was only on new ice vehicles, and doesn't stop folk driving ones they currently have.

Evs over the course of their lives are no more expensive and are improving continuously. 

There is already a decent number of second hand evs available for those for whom a new car is out of the question.

It will allow the distribution companies more time to get increases cabling done etc, but they mustn't ease back on the required infrastructure, as it is only a 5 year delay. If they do, then the same questions will exist.

He’s an absolute chancer. 

Edited by mickbrown

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

He’s an absolute chancer. 

They all are.

Chasing votes is the name of the game. 

That doesn't necessarily mean that any such moves will benefit them should they get in.

Pissing off industry may well create issues later on, when they're looking for investment and job creation.

Just put a load of state dosh into the revamp of Halewood ready for 2030 too.

Until the detail is announced it all guess work, but based on the reports so far it is TMGJ says a cheap attempt to buy votes .

If you think we need to pull back on commitments based on affordability surely you need to look at each commitment and do a cost benefit ? It seems Ford have already invested £Ms towards getting there so the delay if anything costs them money. No idea how it affects other industries.

The Govt talk about us being 'world leading' this is an obvious area to invest to deliver towards to green commitments and help us become world leading. Instead we are going for a dragged out inefficient solution that is less likely to deliver economic as well as environmental benefits. 

I wouldn't like to second guess to the motives of this government but it does make sense for the UK to pursue it's net zero policies more pragmatically

The current trajectory would involve the public making (likely politically untenably) enormous sacrifices with practically no impact at all on global emissions

The sensible politicians seem to be realising this

4 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Bringing us in line with the rest of Europe as well.

As soon as they announced they were pushing out the timeline, it was only a matter of time until we followed suit. No way did we want to "lead" on this sort of thing

2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

So, light years ahead with a target of 2035? It’s still going to happen, just takes a little longer. Many businesses will be pleased that they have longer to phase out. Winners and winners in my book. 

That will ultimately be pushed out again in a few years. Even 2035 is too soon. 

3 hours ago, Spider said:

And Europe are light years ahead of us in this regard, so it’s not even a comparison.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Care to explain- this is a rather sweeping statement, and isn't completely true, so perhaps highlight the actual areas where Europe is.

Battery manufacturing facilities, at a guess