Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Quite amazing how easy the remain voters are dismantled in their arguments these days.

We saw it with Mr Brown last night, same with Leigh Blue, now with Winchester with some old guff he most likely heard in the Winchester with Dave the barman 😉

We need serious opposition or we may have to close this thread 🇬🇧

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Hardly, the EU have tried to dictate terms from the start and have said that it will be us v them this year, that they see us as competition. And then threw in nonsense about the Elgin Marbles.

We have straightforwardly stated our position.

The Turks have today threatened to allow Syrian migrants to continue through its border.

A bit of a warning to European nations, and Greece especially will have more to worry about than a few ancient stones.

33 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

mmm and that is how it is being set up by our government, confrontational rather than objective.

Do you not think that the EU (the bureaucrats) are also being confrontational? It’s all part of the negotiation game. Meanwhile we have a good relationship with individual EU countries because at the end of the day, trade will continue. It always has and always will. 

4 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Do you not think that the EU (the bureaucrats) are also being confrontational? It’s all part of the negotiation game. Meanwhile we have a good relationship with individual EU countries because at the end of the day, trade will continue. It always has and always will. 

In some respects yes.  They did agree a new withdrawal agreement in a very short time frame prior to the election though which shows a willingness to grant the UK's wishes. The difficult bit is our new trading arrangements and this was never going to be an easy negotiation and I think the pragmatic remainers said this from the beginning. 

31 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Hardly, the EU have tried to dictate terms from the start and have said that it will be us v them this year, that they see us as competition. And then threw in nonsense about the Elgin Marbles.

We have straightforwardly stated our position.

Our position is that we need to make compromises if we want a FTA and the opening statements from Gove and co have not helped IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Our position is that we need to make compromises if we want a FTA and the opening statements from Gove and co have not helped IMO. 

Again, you are taking sides; the wrong one.

If Canada and others can get a FTA, why won’t the EU allow it?

58 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Maybe because Canada was never part of the EU, so not comparable.

We were a key member and they do not want to reward a country for leaving the union.

Therefore our FTA,(which I hope we will get), will come at some cost (for example, a degree of alignment). 

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

In some respects yes.  They did agree a new withdrawal agreement in a very short time frame prior to the election though which shows a willingness to grant the UK's wishes. The difficult bit is our new trading arrangements and this was never going to be an easy negotiation and I think the pragmatic remainers said this from the beginning. 

It’s gone beyond remainers and leavers now. I was and am a remainer but I’ll back our government now to get the best trade  deal possible. We really all need to move on. 
Political bias will always influence people’s opinions but too many people are looking to undermine our position and back the  Federal EU. 

1 hour ago, Boby Brno said:

It’s gone beyond remainers and leavers now. I was and am a remainer but I’ll back our government now to get the best trade  deal possible. We really all need to move on. 
Political bias will always influence people’s opinions but too many people are looking to undermine our position and back the  Federal EU. 

Because they’re fucking cuckoo.

3 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

To be honest I’ve hardly posted on here for months for that reason. I was mainly passing comment because Mounts and co were rejoicing that the EU will collapse. If that happens to our primary market it would be extremely bad news for the UK. 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

To be honest I’ve hardly posted on here for months for that reason. I was mainly passing comment because Mounts and co were rejoicing that the EU will collapse. If that happens to our primary market it would be extremely bad news for the UK. 

We're all worse off. That's what we voted for. And Blue Passports that we could have had anyway.

I see Turkey have opened all borders to the EU now for migrants, trouble already happening on the Greek border,  riots breaking out with the police in a few places there, such a shame to see.

Also saw those lovely Congolese immigrants setting fire to buildings in Lyon because they were protesting about the pop singer who they didn't like. Horrible to see and most likely not Ms Merkel expected to see. Very sad times indeed in Europe at present.

14 hours ago, boltondiver said:

The Canada FTA doesn’t include Services, especially Financial Services 

About a third of our exports to the EU fall into this category 

Canadian imports are still subject to customs checks, so for the other two thirds of trade so you still have a border either in Ireland or down the Irish Sea.

It’s not complete free trade on goods either, a lot of conditions around maximum tonnes per year either way. Those levels would need to be completely renegotiated from scratch based on EU / U.K. specific trade 

I don’t believe the Canada / EU deal is anywhere near what we need, so shouldn’t be the basis of any deal that we do. 

14 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Canadian imports are still subject to customs checks, so for the other two thirds of trade so you still have a border either in Ireland or down the Irish Sea.

It’s not complete free trade on goods either, a lot of conditions around maximum tonnes per year either way. Those levels would need to be completely renegotiated from scratch based on EU / U.K. specific trade 

I don’t believe the Canada / EU deal is anywhere near what we need, so shouldn’t be the basis of any deal that we do. 

Good response, thanks

10 hours ago, Farrelli said:

To be honest I’ve hardly posted on here for months for that reason. I was mainly passing comment because  Mounts and co were rejoicing that the EU will collapse. If that happens to our primary market it would be extremely bad news for the UK. 

I’ve never ever wished for the EU to collapse let alone rejoice, you can wish to leave and wish the EU well. It’s funny how folk just leap to conclusions. 

36 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Thats why we want a Canada +++ I mentioned earlier this week the financial expert (article kindly posted above by BD) who says its is highly unlikely we won’t get a deal on finance because failure to do that deal could finish the EU off. We just need calm heads and a sensible approach from all parties and get the final detail all agreed, it will happen and we will go merrily on as friends and trading partners, of that I have never had any doubts from day 1. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

There will be loads of bluster on both sides, what goes on behind closed doors between our negotiators and theirs is what matters.

Absolutely.

I'm sure in the end it will resemble something along the lines of what Canada arranged, with differences to suit both parties.

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

This is utterly ridiculous......if folk don't respect people and their private space, why are they being allowed asylum here in the EU ?

As if a rampant rapist is going to respect this pathetic little song....I despair at times.

The bird back right looks a bit of a hand full.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Thats why we want a Canada +++ I mentioned earlier this week the financial expert (article kindly posted above by BD) who says its is highly unlikely we won’t get a deal on finance because failure to do that deal could finish the EU off. We just need calm heads and a sensible approach from all parties and get the final detail all agreed, it will happen and we will go merrily on as friends and trading partners, of that I have never had any doubts from day 1. 

We want something that nobody has ever done before, not just a free trade deal, but a comprehensive free trade deal that covers all aspects of trade without the other strings of EU membership 

Thats what we want fair enough, but we shouldn’t kid ourselves that the EU have done it for other countries so why not for us as it isn’t true. They aren’t being difficult for being difficult sake, this has always been the issue 

Personally I feel that we either walk away from comprehensive free trade, such as a Canada deal, take the hit to the economy OR we sacrifice some of the things that people voted for when they voted leave (not all but some) 

7 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

We want something that nobody has ever done before, not just a free trade deal, but a comprehensive free trade deal that covers all aspects of trade without the other strings of EU membership 

Thats what we want fair enough, but we shouldn’t kid ourselves that the EU have done it for other countries so why not for us as it isn’t true. They aren’t being difficult for being difficult sake, this has always been the issue 

Personally I feel that we either walk away from comprehensive free trade, such as a Canada deal, take the hit to the economy OR we sacrifice some of the things that people voted for when they voted leave (not all but some) 

I think you have summarised it very well. We need to be realistic in these negotiations and I’m not sure this government are. Time will tell!