Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

It was always going to be tricky. I don’t believe for one minute what’s been agreed has been done without the consent of the DUP. If it had we would have heard. 

It’s a big step forward as I see it. 

Agreed, they don't usually need much of a reason to kick off, so they must be reasonably happy with it. Although, as ever, you'd have to be a bit of a dick to be celebrating before seeing the detail

• Site Supporter
Just now, Sweep said:

Agreed, they don't usually need much of a reason to kick off, so they must be reasonably happy with it. Although, as ever, you'd have to be a bit of a dick to be celebrating before seeing the detail

Someone hasn't got the memo 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It was always going to be tricky. I don’t believe for one minute what’s been agreed has been done without the consent of the DUP. If it had we would have heard. 

It’s a big step forward as I see it. 

DUP in Parliament now detailing how bad they felt aspects of the withdrawal agreement were, and the fact that these clauses in the internal markets bill were necessary. Seem quite happy now that an agreement has been made.

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

Aye we’ve no idea what’s been agreed or what it’s cost knowing the DUP.

don’t think anyone can celebrate anything until we get a bloody deal agreed. And even then we need to understand what it is. Whatever happens going to be folk happy and some distraught that’s for sure. What a mess 

3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Weren't the DUP in the dd position of wanting us out of the EU, but with no checks on the ROI border or in the Irish Sea? Not sure how they imagined that would work if so 

In other news, were a little nervous of WTO this end, some of the tariffs we will have to pay aren't good - Not sure if WTO is still on the table or not 

• Site Supporter

This has got to be some Machiavellian shit from Gove. In a blatantly scripted interview, saying Northern Ireland have got "the best of both worlds" by retaining free access to the EU Single Market and the UK internal market - while Johnson is about to come back from Brussels with a suitcase full of tariffs for Great Britain, whether there's a Deal or not. "I've done my bit Alex. How have you got on old chap?"

Wouldn't be surprised if he's PM by Valentines' Day.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-08/brexit-gove-says-northern-ireland-businesses-get-best-of-both-worlds-with-access-to-both-eu-and-uk-markets

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

Shipping.

Something that affects us all.

Its already, as I’ve been mentioning, under strain across the globe. British ports in particular have been struggling but just about coping.

Fortunately, clearance of EU goods is quick at the moment which has helped to keep this just about from going into meltdown.

Its a good job there are no changes happening in about 15 working days oh wait hang on a minute...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55237791

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Shipping.

Its already, as I’ve been mentioning, under strain across the globe. British ports in particular have been struggling but just about coping.

Fortunately, clearance of EU goods is quick at the moment which has helped to keep this just about from going into meltdown.

Its a good job there are no changes happening in about 15 working days oh wait hang on a minute...

Companies ordering extra prior to end of year, pushing up levels apparently. Hopefully that will help ease some of the anticipated issues later.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Shipping.

We had some stuff the other week that was supposed to dock, the backlog is so bad at the minute that the ship had to bob around in the channel for 3 days longer than planned before it could park up and unload. Had it been forced to wait another 24 hours, apparently, they'd have fucked off to Rotterdam to unload and pick up and then returned back to the UK.

Shipping is mental at the minute  -  the volume of stuff coming in is crazy. The main reason is of course because we're coming up to Christmas and CNY, which always have an affect, Brexit does play a part as well, as people (us included) are over ordering, so that we can hopefully beat the potential shitstorm at customs come Jan 1st

It's all fun and games with imports at the minute - we've got stuff on the sea at the minute that is due to dock first week of January, that could be fun 😀

• Site Supporter

Could all have been avoided

Im not the only one saying this

People who deal with this for a living have been saying it for months.

The fact that we’re leaving the EU has been known for 4 years.

Successful businesses can’t rely on “hopefully” and “might be” s

Shit businesses do. Which is why they tend to be shit.

Just now, Spider said:

You’re forgetting the years of screeching and then parliament stopping anything from getting through I assume?

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

You’re forgetting the years of screeching and then parliament stopping anything from getting through I assume?

Nope

That never stopped a deal being discussed. Preparations being made . Ever.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Spider said:

Well tell that to those ex parliamentarians who did everything they could to scupper the process.

Would have been done ages ago if they'd accepted it and got on with the work.

This end game bit was sadly inevitable, but the shenanigans previously were unnecessary. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Nope

That never stopped a deal being discussed. Preparations being made . Ever.

Utter bollocks. You're talking with your dick out there.

EU made it clear that trade talks would not commence until withdrawal agreement sorted.

That couldn't happen until parliament grew the fuck up.

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

How can you Prepare for something that doesn’t exist? Explain that concept to Me Please

What, Brexit?

Brexit has been a definite since 2016.

It was a national referendum and the choice was to leave.

From that point, there have been no reasons for conversations to have taken place between the UK and the EU to define a strategy for the implementation of said result.

If you think making decisions on a trillion pound deal should come down to 2 people over a fish supper in Brussels 20 days beforehand, I’d suggest you don’t grasp the consequences.

I suspect you do really, though.