Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

6 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’m not concerned about any. And no one is being left behind. What I’m saying, and I think you quite clearly know what I’m saying is tax payers shouldn’t be footing the bill for kids dinners whos parents are more than capable of paying for them. 

Should they be footing the bill for their education (they could spell correctly if they did) ? or their health ? eyetests ?

Edited by ZiggyStardust

9 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’m not concerned about any. And no one is being left behind. What I’m saying, and I think you quite clearly know what I’m saying is tax payers shouldn’t be footing the bill for kids dinners whos parents are more than capable of paying for them. 

Yep. When I went to junior school, at the beginning of the week we had a register to pay for the dinners for the week. The teacher would name the ones who had free meals which I thought was unfair. (My parents always found the money)

At secondary school it was done different. We went individually to the office to pay so no one knew who were on free meals. If you can afford it, you pay, if not the state should and does help. 
They’ll be asking for fee milk next😳

Edited by BobyBrno

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

You do know that rich people pay tax, don't you? The parents who are more than capable of paying directly for their kids education? Who make their money because of the infrastructure and social systems most of us rely on in a crisis? Are you suggesting we should scrap the Tax system altogether, and everyone should pay directly for what they use?

4 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Yep. When I went to junior school, at the beginning of the week we had a register to pay for the dinners for the week. The teacher would name the ones who had free meals which I thought was unfair. (My parents always found the money)

At secondary school it was done different. We went individually to the office to pay so no one knew who was on free meals. If you can afford it, you pay, if not the state should and does help. 
They’ll be asking for fee milk next😳

Yes that was the same at my Primary school….

Good to see the majority of the country are still working on helping just those that need it. 

Edited by royal white

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You do know that rich people pay tax, don't you? The parents who are more than capable of paying directly for their kids education? Who make their money because of the infrastructure and social systems most of us rely on in a crisis? Are you suggesting we should scrap the Tax system altogether, and everyone should pay directly for what they use?

See above 

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

No idea what you're trying to say then. Spit it out.

Funding should only be available for kids that can’t afford it. Think that’s 6 times I’ve said it now. There’s probably a good reason the majority of councils around the country don’t do it. Maybe if you think it’s a good idea you should send an e mail to your MP. 👍

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, royal white said:

Funding should only be available for kids that can’t afford it. Think that’s 6 times I’ve said it now. There’s probably a good reason the majority of councils around the country don’t do it. Maybe if you think it’s a good idea you should send an e mail to your MP. 👍

Kids don't have any means to make money. I think you're confusing "kids" with "parents".

Edited by Cheese

The other way to look at this the school/council has a budget of say £1m. If everyone gets free meals then there is less money for other things. 

Our kids had a lunch card that we put money on, anyone entitled to free lunches got a code and added money on. They then bought what they wanted (could argue it taught them a bit about budgeting) Free lunches for all would cost a fortune would nt it ? 

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Kids don't have any means to make money. I think you're confusing "kids" with "parents".

You’ve gone off on a strange tangent. Parents pay for school meals and uniforms and transport and school trips etc. etc.

Parents who can’t afford things, for whatever reason, will get help. Parents who can do. 

1 minute ago, Ani said:

The other way to look at this the school/council has a budget of say £1m. If everyone gets free meals then there is less money for other things. 

Our kids had a lunch card that we put money on, anyone entitled to free lunches got a code and added money on. They then bought what they wanted (could argue it taught them a bit about budgeting) Free lunches for all would cost a fortune would nt it ? 

I’m sure it would and I think it would be better it went on teachers salaries rather than subsidising children of families who could afford it. A simplistic view because it never usually works that way but the principle stands.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

You’ve gone off on a strange tangent. Parents pay for school meals and uniforms and transport and school trips etc. etc.

Parents who can’t afford things, for whatever reason, will get help. Parents who can do. 

I probably have gone off on a tangent. I just think it should be a level playing field regardless of parent income. Every child should be worth as much as any other, regardless of their parents finances. I'm not having it that a kid on 'free school meals' isn't affected by the associated stigma. I've lived through it, and witnessed it. It's properly soul destroying, and even at that age, it can define the rest of your life.

Edited by Cheese

13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Excellent point.

It’s not a point at all. It has nothing at all to do with free school meals. Everyone who pays tax and NI will get a state pension. You could argue it’s not fair because higher earners will pay more NI but only get the BASIC state pension. See my other point. You can pay in for 50 years but only 30 are required. Not sure why this at all comparable.

5 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

It’s not a point at all. It has nothing at all to do with free school meals. Everyone who pays tax and NI will get a state pension. You could argue it’s not fair because higher earners will pay more NI but only get the BASIC state pension. See my other point. You can pay in for 50 years but only 30 are required. Not sure why this at all comparable.

35 years