Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A-Z Of Festive Bolton Wanderers Games......

miamiwhite

Portsmouth away, early 90's. Went on Moggers coach..set off in deep snow expecting match be called off...couple of hundred there at the most..

Stopped off in Evesham on way back where Breightmet and Farnworth lads on board proceeded to relieve the local dealers of their wares..left in the early hours after waiting for a couple of passengers to be released from custody and arrived back in Bolton about 26 hours after setting off..think it took about 3 days to come down from the trips and whizz that were being dished out for free..

Played Sunderland only the day before.

Never known us or anyone else for that matter play two games on consecutive days.

Played Sunderland only the day before.

Never known us or anyone else for that matter play two games on consecutive days.

Twas a regular thing throughout the 80s and 90s. Recall Jeff Chandler scoring the winner in our first ever game at Wigan on boxing day, then doing the same the day after at Burnden v Oxford.

Sunderland

Roker Park Boxing Day when it was 1-1 mixu scores I got a thump off an angry mackem

Snappy's shuttle, I was going to my mates and he asked if I wanted to go... It was about lunchtime; He did it in about 2 hours!

Think we all know what horror show Z will be...

Back-to-back matches Christmas Day and Boxing Day used to be standard (in the olden days).

Was it the same fixture in reverse too or have I dreamt that? I seem to recall reading about Arsenal at home to West ham on Xmas day and then the game at Upton Park being played on boxing day

Can’t believe no one has mentioned the three nil tonking of the red filth on black eye Friday with worthy getting a double and the flying chip a third

Think that day has to be up there as one of the very finest days and games I ever did attend, went expecting a drubbing for us and the result was a total suprise, simply fantastic. Silly question but why black eye Friday?

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Think that day has to be up there as one of the very finest days and games I ever did attend, went expecting a drubbing for us and the result was a total suprise, simply fantastic. Silly question but why black eye Friday?

Last Friday before Xmas traditionally called Black Eye Friday when people go out on the piss straight after finishing work early, get more pissed than usual, and end up brawling. Black Eye Friday certainly well named that night