Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby 3-0 Wanderers

famouswanderer

I don't get the idea that we should force a player to stay who wants to leave, when we've been made an offer beyond our wildest dreams.

The bloke gave us 3 good months in 3 years. How would his form have been if we'd told him he had to stay and he wouldn't be doubling his pay?

Madine played a great game against Sheffield United away, the sort of bullying performance we could certainly do with now. Problem is we all know that was the exception and not the norm and why 6m was too good to turn down. The fact we did get 6m for him only serves to illustrate that the Championship is not exactly awash with bargain basement 15 goal a season free agents looking for a short term deal in a bottom 3 side with no money.

All any of us can do now until the end of the season is continue to get behind Parky and the players who have got us in a position where we are still in with a shout to stay up. The limitations of the team are obvious but if they can see us limp over the line bloodied and bruised, it will be job done.

The massive problem with this whole situation is we have a manager who still thinks madine is upfront and has done nothing to adjust our style of play.

The only time we have looked anything half decent since madine has gone has been when players have took it upon themselves to sort the mess out.

Ameobi banging one in from 25 yards.

Clough coming on for his first appearance and almost scoring.

Le fondre volleying in from miles out.

Wilbraham bagging in last minute.

Since madine has gone it has been even shitter than when he was here. Absolute fact. Anyone who goes to games can see that. No matter how blinkered or anti madine they are.

A scuffed corner tucked in by le fondre doesn’t forgive the absolute shite set up Parkinson has put in place since madine is gone.

We spend the entire match defending our goal and hoofing it to le fondre or walker or ameobi. It’s garbage.

When madine was here atleast we had something to show for in the match. A bit of pressure. The ability to build attacks. Get possession in the final third.

Since he has gone we have been completely reliant on wonder goals. Bonkers approach to football. Bonkers.

The massive problem with this whole situation is we have a manager who still thinks madine is upfront and has done nothing to adjust our style of play.

The only time we have looked anything half decent since madine has gone has been when players have took it upon themselves to sort the mess out.

Ameobi banging one in from 25 yards.

Clough coming on for his first appearance and almost scoring.

Le fondre volleying in from miles out.

Wilbraham bagging in last minute.

Since madine has gone it has been even shitter than when he was here. Absolute fact. Anyone who goes to games can see that. No matter how blinkered or anti madine they are.

A scuffed corner tucked in by le fondre doesn’t forgive the absolute shite set up Parkinson has put in place since madine is gone.

We spend the entire match defending our goal and hoofing it to le fondre or walker or ameobi. It’s garbage.

When madine was here atleast we had something to show for in the match. A bit of pressure. The ability to build attacks. Get possession in the final third.

Since he has gone we have been completely reliant on wonder goals. Bonkers approach to football. Bonkers.

No manager on earth can mid season change how a team plays without changing a lot of players. Especially when said players are limited technically. You’re asking a lot. Had he known Madine was off and had he money to spend in January I’d be more sympathetic to that argument. But he had neither time nor money. And was left with totally inadequate replacements. Henry our best midfield player is a stopper. The idea we would transform into a pass and move team because the manager tells them too is ridiculous.

The likes of Clough came in and his poor form at Forest continues here. He isn’t doing enough to play. Too easily knocked off the ball. So we have what we’ve got. Parky has to make the best of it and doing that has basically been trying to ensure we keep clean sheets. Even when we’ve had spells on top in games we’ve still not looked like scoring many because we don’t have many players capable of creating or scoring regularly at this level.

No manager on earth?

Managers change style of play during games ffs.

The best team in this country assembled at a ridiculous cost play one way week in week out. When it doesn’t work, like at Liverpool they lose. Why can’t Guardiola just change it and make them into a physically dominating side for those games?

• Site Supporter

Iles reporting that the comments from KA did not go down well in the camp. I’m still of the opinion he was right to say it.

I’m sick and tired of players trying to wag the tail of the dog, if it means we get relegated and we have to clear the decks so be it.

Not read his comments - is there a link.

Irrespective of whether he's right or not; perhaps not the best time to say so?

• Moderators

The best team in this country assembled at a ridiculous cost play one way week in week out. When it doesn’t work, like at Liverpool they lose. Why can’t Guardiola just change it and make them into a physically dominating side for those games?

is there not just a special combination of buttons you press on your controller that makes it work?

There's a difference between can't and won't.

There's a difference between can't and won't.

I watch a fair bit of football. I don't see many sides who dramatically change how they play without having the personnel to do it. I mean sides throw a target man on and go long to try and change it. Or add pace, or whatever. I see teams play better one half than the other or better one week than the next. But I think its relatively rare that a side can switch from one type of game to another, within a season let alone a game. At City it took a year and a lot of cash for Guardiola to have them playing the high tempo, pressing possession game he wants. It didn't happen immediately and they have a team full of top quality players.

One might argue that even after spending nearly as much as City, United still aren't entirely in the Mourinho mould yet. Some of their fans don't like how he sets the team up either. 

When I look at our team the big issue is a lack of attacking quality. Who would an opposition be scared of? Ameobi...that's about all I can muster. ALF relies on others around him creating stuff generally. Buckley is non-existant. I think we're unlucky to have Morais out injured at this stage as his set pieces would offer another threat. Who else would an opponent look at and think they need a plan to nullify? We don't have anyone. Whether that is Parky's fault, Ken's fault, the players fault whoever, I think its where we are. The conversation I'd be having about our style or lack there of, would be very different if Parky had even had a free reign to bring in the right players. But he clearly has had to make do with what he was given and what was available. He tried to sign Chungy, a player who no doubt could and would have helped us play more patiently and build better. Not his fault everything was last minute and it fell through. So I don't believe Parky is ever going to subscribe to playing like Man City in the championship, but I also think a lot of the criticism he gets is misdirected. He's a manager who doesn't make excuses and tries to find a way to win with what he's got, even if he knows what he's got isn't particularly great. With Pratley and Morais out we're missing two key men, in an already lacklustre squad who might make a big difference. He's not moaning though. Perhaps if he bleated like Allardyce about resources and money he'd have more fans onside. Instead he gets his head down and tries to sort it. Lennon on the other hand gave up before Christmas.....

I'd read that but can't risk falling asleep.

If you think Bolton would be home and dry with Gary Madine in the team then you crack on pal.

The first half of the season suggests otherwise.

That's it.

If you think otherwise great. I'm not really arsed about chapter and verse on your view of the wonderful game thanks.

Fuck me I need a lie down.

Birmingham was crying out for madine

Apart from that don’t think we would be better off

Think he'd have battered Fulham's defence, we might have nicked that game with him in. And possibly won one of the two away draws and Reading and Wednesday. Its all arguable, but its not really a case for Madine, its a case for having a proper target man option who isn't 38. We'd be better off if we'd sold Madine and signed someone else. 

anyone who can sit there and claim the players in our squad 'cannot play another way' wants their heads testing

professional footballers these men. all played at various different levels at various clubs all under managers who will of had their own way of playing. to even get to a level where they are now they have had to have some natural football ability

yet some think in the short time theyve been at our club all of that ability, experience and know how has been knocked out of them and they have been made in to these cloggers who couldnt trap a bag of cement and couldnt pass a ball 10 yard. absolute bollocks

the instruction comes from the fella on the touch line. 

with / without Madine the direction from him is woeful. 

Think he'd have battered Fulham's defence, we might have nicked that game with him in. And possibly won one of the two away draws and Reading and Wednesday. Its all arguable, but its not really a case for Madine, its a case for having a proper target man option who isn't 38. We'd be better off if we'd sold Madine and signed someone else.

With regards Reading away, who would Madine have replaced in the team?

For me ALF led the line brilliantly in that game and we played really well without relying on long balls. We should have really scored 4 goals given all the chances we created

If Madine had started that game instead of ALF we might of gone long ball and lost the game for all anyone knows

Edited by birch-chorley

• Moderators

seriously, between game 11 when we finally got a team together and madine leaving we were pissing it

losing madine for loadfs of money, losing pratley and henry to injury has ballsed us up

keep denying this does not make it any less true

anyway, i think with the fight in the team we can still do it

stick together ffs

anyone who can sit there and claim the players in our squad 'cannot play another way' wants their heads testing

professional footballers these men. all played at various different levels at various clubs all under managers who will of had their own way of playing. to even get to a level where they are now they have had to have some natural football ability

yet some think in the short time theyve been at our club all of that ability, experience and know how has been knocked out of them and they have been made in to these cloggers who couldnt trap a bag of cement and couldnt pass a ball 10 yard. absolute bollocks

the instruction comes from the fella on the touch line. 

with / without Madine the direction from him is woeful. 

At what point in their careers have Wheater, Beevers, Henry and Pratley been good on the ball? 

I've watched Parky screaming his head off as Wheater/Beevers launch another diagonal ball with no purpose. He clearly doesn't tell them to do that all game. But as we saw against Brum when teams sit behind the ball, you need something to break them down.We passed it around ok first half, but had nobody able to change gears to get in behind them. As the game went on and patience wore thin the ball was launched more and more. Even Parky said after it wasn't the plan. It happens.