Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

4 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Yep, pampas grass! Little lever is full of them! Was talking about this with the work girls this week. They all think I'm part of some sex orgy group now 😂

Any of them catch sight of you frequenting Wanderers Ways and you'll have a job convincing them it's got anything to do with football 😆

Shit one of my neighbours' gardens is full of that stuff and it looks well out of place with the rest of the street as well. Bang to rights!

25 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Thinking about it, in terms of virus top trumps this could be a 10 for spreadability and death rate whilst Spanish flu was just a 6

But back then the Spaniards, and everyone else, didn't have the medical infrastructure to cope and global news to tell anyone

Imagine if this had happened as late as the 1980s

Some suggestions that Spanish flu started in Kansas.

24 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Thinking about it, in terms of virus top trumps this could be a 10 for spreadability and death rate whilst Spanish flu was just a 6

But back then the Spaniards, and everyone else, didn't have the medical infrastructure to cope and global news to tell anyone

Didn’t originate in Spain apparently. Everybody else was involved in the war so suppressed it. Spain weren’t so reported it. 

Summat like that

3 hours ago, Escobarp said:

That’s where I’m at pal now. My own perspective has changed massively in the last two days. If this carries on I’m going to be say with pencils up my nose shortly drinking dark fruits and challenging youri and @e2e4 for being zoomer of the year 

A. I prefer Bolty's 'zoon'. 'Zoomer' ironically sounds Aussie, and there's no need for zoom with moi.

B. I only drink Strongbow Justin when I find a 10 box minus 2 on a grass verge in Breightmet, presumably left by youths disturbed by a PCSO who (after being told to F.O.A.D.) then called in the real filth.

C. Blind optimism is all we have, please no no more 'shitting mesen', 'dusty room', 'worse than Italy' etc. sentiments - be reet and COYFWM (on Queen's Park...in 2026, playing Berwick Cannibals FC). 😊

• Members

Not trawling back through this thread or watching owt depressing. Fuck that.

My spirits rose enormously this morning watching a report on vac cleaner and washer repairers GTech in Worcester. Developed a ventilator themselves; geared up to produce 1,000 per day already and can meet the UK's shortfall demand in just 30 days.

Add to this, McLaren F1 team just about to announce very similar.

This is the kind of stuff which counts and put the 'Great' in 'Britain'. Don't listen to the doubters and disbelievers. Wankers to a man.

This is how we always react to a crisis. We could not be products of a better country.

Edited by bolty58

27 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Not trawling back through this thread or watching owt depressing. Fuck that.

My spirits rose enormously this morning watching a report on vac cleaner and washer repairers GTech in Worcester. Developed a ventilator themselves; geared up to produce 1,000 per day already and can meet the UK's shortfall demand in just 30 days.

Add to this, McLaren F1 team just about to announce very similar.

This is the kind of stuff which counts and put the 'Great' in 'Britain'. Don't listen to the doubters and disbelievers. Wankers to a man.

This is how we always react to a crisis. We could not be products of a better country.

Aye, we should all do our best atm to absorb the positive, and filter out negative media and especially social media. Facebook is going my fucking head in atm.

Friends, work colleagues without exception fantastic.

Anyway I digress, the news article Bolty was on about.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-extraordinary-uk-effort-to-produce-thousands-more-ventilators-11961559

5 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

It wasn’t called Spanish Flu because it started in Spain or killed more Spanish, people don’t know where it started really. The reason it was called Spanish Flu was that because in WW1 Spain was neutral, it didn’t have the reporting restrictions of other European nations, who didn’t want to further demoralise their nations and let the enemy get the upper hand. So the Spanish honestly reported the spread and the deaths in their media leading to its name amongst other nations, which throughly pissed the Spanish off. It also was super deadly because it seemed to effect and kill younger and healthier people rather than older and more vulnerable, unlike this pandemic.

Boring history fact of the day!

People quote Germany as an example of a country doing better than us.

Total deaths have doubled over the last 2 days, so they seem to be on the same trajectory as us, Italy, Spain, US, France, Netherlands etc but just a couple of days behind.

South Korea have taken 12 days for the tally to double