Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Apprenticeships

Mounts Kipper

My lads leaving secondary school next year and he’s looking at college and apprenticeship opportunities, he’s reasonably bright either group 1 or 2 in all lessons, we live Chorley area, my preference is apprenticeship with day release to college, we’re gonna look at BAE but do the good folk of wanderersways know of any other good companies that offer apprenticeships that might be worth looking at, he’s sporty but also into IT. Thx in advance. 

Think some of my eldest's mates who were going to do higher level apprenticeships at BAE got let down this year very late on so I'm not sure what's going on with them.

Especially with you living in Chorley check vacancies for apprenticeships at Runshaw, think they do the lower level ones and sort out the placements etc.

9 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Think some of my eldest's mates who were going to do higher level apprenticeships at BAE got let down this year very late on so I'm not sure what's going on with them.

Especially with you living in Chorley check vacancies for apprenticeships at Runshaw, think they do the lower level ones and sort out the placements etc.

He’s looking at Runshaw college as we live Runshaw Lane, they’ve an event on in October which he’s going to, he was one of 6 selected from his year group to go to a STEM day at BAE last year so they know him.  

Forgot to add as well although you will know this, don't think of them as apprenticeships like we used to know because most aren't.

They're in for a year on the lowest level and it doesn't guarantee continuation at the same workplace on the next level.

We've had some at work over the past few years (IT related) and only 1 of them started the next level apprenticeship and he packed it in to go to uni, encouraged all the way by us. We had one other who was good and is now doing well somewhere now but the others didn't last the year.

Mate who has them in engineering roles says they go through that many it's unbelievable but that might be because of their place as much as the kids.

Runshaw do a lot of vocational courses at BTEC level 3 as well as A levels and shit. My eldest daughter didn't want to do A levels and  is doing one and has had to do work experience as a big part of the course so there's all sorts of options.

1 minute ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Forgot to add as well although you will know this, don't think of them as apprenticeships like we used to know because most aren't.

They're in for a year on the lowest level and it doesn't guarantee continuation at the same workplace on the next level.

We've had some at work over the past few years (IT related) and only 1 of them started the next level apprenticeship and he packed it in to go to uni, encouraged all the way by us. We had one other who was good and is now doing well somewhere now but the others didn't last the year.

Mate who has them in engineering roles says they go through that many it's unbelievable but that might be because of their place as much as the kids.

Runshaw do a lot of vocational courses at BTEC level 3 as well as A levels and shit. My eldest daughter didn't want to do A levels and  is doing one and has had to do work experience as a big part of the course so there's all sorts of options.

Thx for the info. 👍

30 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

My lads leaving secondary school next year and he’s looking at college and apprenticeship opportunities, he’s reasonably bright either group 1 or 2 in all lessons, we live Chorley area, my preference is apprenticeship with day release to college, we’re gonna look at BAE but do the good folk of wanderersways know of any other good companies that offer apprenticeships that might be worth looking at, he’s sporty but also into IT. Thx in advance. 

An apprenticeship with Sellafield is a job for life. Loads of locations as well 

CIPS do a good one at level 4 and sets you up for level 5 and 6. 

Finished it myself (at 35) because my employer took advantage of their hefty apprenticeship levy. Nearly done level 5 now. 

I wish I could have done it at a much younger age. Very practical. 

AXA or AO Horwich had an apprenticeship role up with level 4 cips recently but I think it's gone now. 

• Site Supporter

My lad is fancying courses at myerscough. Arboriculture. 

They do however offer courses in agriculture, and stuff in associated machinery which is an engineering option.

Previously, lad was looking at mbda. All things missiles. Did a lot of reading about them and their apprenticeships and they appear to be absolutely sensational.

Can do normal apprenticeship, then go on and do graduate one afterwards. 

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

My lad is fancying courses at myerscough. Arboriculture. 

They do however offer courses in agriculture, and stuff in associated machinery which is an engineering option.

Previously, lad was looking at mbda. All things missiles. Did a lot of reading about them and their apprenticeships and they appear to be absolutely sensational.

Can do normal apprenticeship, then go on and do graduate one afterwards. 

Nice college Myerscough, even got a golf course. 

seriously regret not getting one, just drifted...  Fair play to young uns having foresight to get a career. I've always told my kids not to make my mistakes, find something they love; do it to the best of your ability, taking qualifications along the way. My dad always said they can never be taken from you. I've got two relatively pointless NVQs, entry level stuff in different areas and now doing a degree.

Having a piece of work published in an anthology though, so at least I will leave some skid mark in history.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He’s looking at Runshaw college as we live Runshaw Lane, they’ve an event on in October which he’s going to, he was one of 6 selected from his year group to go to a STEM day at BAE last year so they know him.  

Make sure that gets put on his CV.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Cheers Micky, we will he’s also doing his Duke of Edinburgh so that’ll go on as well. 👍

Stuff like being chosen to attend from amongst his peers place him one step above the others. If stuff like that don’t go on the CV, bigged up as much as it’s safe to do without looking bullshit then they were for nothing.

Make sure h

your lad can talk about what it meant to him to be chosen, especially if in an interview at BAE.

55 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Stuff like being chosen to attend from amongst his peers place him one step above the others. If stuff like that don’t go on the CV, bigged up as much as it’s safe to do without looking bullshit then they were for nothing.

Make sure h

your lad can talk about what it meant to him to be chosen, especially if in an interview at BAE.

Good call that I’ll make sure he’s clued up. 👍

1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

Totally different but he could do an apprenticeship in beauty products.

Most companies offer a foundation course.

Fucking hell. You know we've won a game when these are getting wheeled out! 

🍻

• Members
On 03/10/2020 at 03:16, Mounts Kipper said:

Good luck with it all mate. Love to hear of kids with heads screwed on and heading into apprenticeships.

Far too many delusional types, probably encouraged by loopy parents. The world has enough marine biologists and IT nerds already thank you very much.

Trades persons. The future.

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

lad's now announced he's not so sure about arboriculture. Interested in geology, which I suppose will open up things like civil engineering and construction, but he doesn't seem to know really!

Kinell.

Split the difference and go for ecology.  Stupid money to get a survey done to tell you if your site bryophytes are special

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, green genie said:

Split the difference and go for ecology.  Stupid money to get a survey done to tell you if your site bryophytes are special

I'll have a word with him, cheers.

Just been looking at colleges and only two locally that do geology a level: holy Cross (Bury) and Runshaw.