Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Free School Meals

Winchester White

48 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

What first hand knowledge mate? Not doubting your experiences. Just seen the complete opposite in some schools up here.

it works pretty simply to be honest. Staff & volunteers prepare the food. People turn up in masks to collect or some gets dropped to the door for certain families. Fairly safe thing to do during a circuit breaker. No different to going food shopping or dropping something round at your nans.

I’ve a wife in school and mates wife who’s a dinner lady in another area. 

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Oh that. I thought you were on a wind up. Thank goodness you have no more influence than someone who posts on here 😂

You’re the one who wants schools to open while supporting a party that wants to circuit break but at same time open the schools for free meals. Excellent planning, keep up the good work Kier. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

54 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’ve a wife in school and mates wife who’s a dinner lady in another area. 

Fair play mate. Didn't think you were making anything up. Just curious as to why it works in some schools & not in others. As I've seen it work well for plenty of families who need it & have bothered to turn up.

54 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You’re the one who wants schools to open while supporting a party that wants to circuit break but at same time open the schools for free meals. Excellent planning, keep up the good work Kier. 

The schools will barely be open at all though, a fraction of how busy they are during term time. It's safe. 

In all honesty, do you genuinely believe that providing a meal is any more dangerous than going food shopping? Ordering a takeaway? Or going to a food bank?

If folk wear a mask & are socially distant then the risk is minimal. You know this though. You could accuse Labour of hypocrisy for plenty of things but you're clutching at straws with this one.

23 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

The schools will barely be open at all though, a fraction of how busy they are during term time. It's safe. 

In all honesty, do you genuinely believe that providing a meal is any more dangerous than going food shopping? Ordering a takeaway? Or going to a food bank?

If folk wear a mask & are socially distant then the risk is minimal. You know this though. You could accuse Labour of hypocrisy for plenty of things but you're clutching at straws with this one.

No I don’t think it’s dangerous but Starmer does. 

Just now, London Wanderer said:

Starmer thinks free school meals are dangerous? What did he say?

I'm confused mate.

What's so stupid about calling for a circuit breaker lockdown & also free school meals during that time? 

He's trying to draw some shit parallel and getting himself in a pickle

4 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Starmer thinks free school meals are dangerous? What did he say?

I'm confused mate.

What's so stupid about calling for a circuit breaker lockdown & also free school meals during that time? 

He must think going to school is dangerous, hence he asked for a circuit break that closed schools, but then decided to support a policy that then opened them for school dinners and in contradiction to his circuit break.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

22 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He must think going to school is dangerous, hence he asked for a circuit break that closed schools, but then decided to support a policy that then opened them for school dinners and in contradiction to his circuit break.  

He didn't call for a circuit break that closed schools though. He specifically said that it would mean "schools not closing" but could be timed over half-term to help minimise disruption. 

It's all there in his video statement a week ago. 

But even if he had - we've established that it isn't a contradiction. Because the only part of the school that is open is the bloody kitchen. The only one contradicting himself here is you. 

For what it's worth, I get your anger at some parents mate and I don't doubt that seeing kids going hungry bothers you as much as the next person. I've seen the neglect first hand and it makes my blood boil too. But punishing parents doesn't work; at least not in these circumstances. Course it's not a magic bullet - but FSM are one of the most effective and efficient methods we have right now. 

Luckily others in the community are rallying round. 

Edited by London Wanderer

Just now, wiggy said:

Long story short. Kids who wouldn’t have been getting a decent meal next week will now be getting fed thanks to Rashford. Well fucking done him.

Exactly. Haven’t read much of this thread but at the end of the day whether their parents are genuinely skint or blowing it all on fags and booze or not a load of kids would spend the half term hungry. If you have a problem with the state helping the most vulnerable children in society who have no choice whether they exist or not then get a grip ffs