Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Climate Change

London Wanderer

• Site Supporter

I implore you all to read Stark by Ben Elton.

Like him or loathe him, he predicted this decade back in the 80’s with startling accuracy.

Planet irreversibly fucked, the top 0.1% of billionaires all jostling to get into space.

Our only hope is buying air source heat pumps.

You know where to find me, folks.

It's the Gulf Stream tipping point that's so terrifying - if that goes, we really are fucked. Signs have already been spotted. Scientists saying it could happen in 30 years or 100 years, hard to tell, but it can be prevented. 

There's nothing we didn't know in that report and at least it's hopeful in saying there's still a solution. If we cut back our emissions significantly then we can deal with it. It's all about where we land between 1.5 & 4 degrees before the trend reverses.  

We can sit here crying about polar bears and China as much as we want, and spouting all this 'we're the virus' nonsense. Won't achieve anything. Feels like this is something everyone can get behind and put aside their politics. Most of us have got young uns in our lives that we don't want to live through it and end up fighting in land & resource wars. 

Solutions are there - a mix of new technology, innovation and societal changes. We can't carry on with consumerism in it's current form. Everything needs to be made to last or to be repaired. Proper circular economies and a rewilding of as much land as possible to improve biodiversity. Heads of multinationals, politicians and selfish billionaires who do the opposite can go to prison on manslaughter charges as far as I'm concerned, no excuses these days. 

An emergency needs to be treated like one as well. We did it when the pandemic hit so lets do it again. 

16 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Solutions are there - a mix of new technology, innovation and societal changes. We can't carry on with consumerism in it's current form. Everything needs to be made to last or to be repaired. Proper circular economies and a rewilding of as much land as possible to improve biodiversity. Heads of multinationals, politicians and selfish billionaires who do the opposite can go to prison on manslaughter charges as far as I'm concerned, no excuses these days. 

All that sounds very nice, but it just won't happen. Consumerism is here to stay, and we'll always crave the latest/newest products at the very lowest price, which makes for throw away technology.

Every report that you ever hear on the news about any country tends to focus on their GDP and/or wealth, until that changes, and it would need everybody to change at exactly the same time, then nothing will change. There is a constant desire to keep growing, and that growth comes at a cost. The Chinese and Americans are the largest polluters of all, and they're all about growth, and they need it to service their debt levels and feed their populations. I read the other day, that only 100 companies/corporations are responsible for over 70% of the greenhouse gases pumped into the atmosphere, and they're pretty much all fossil fuel based organisations (China Coal on their own, are responsible for over 14%) 

Although, moving forward we'll reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, which is obviously a good thing, and globally we'll have to use more solar, tidal and wind power, that's a given that has to happen. Rewilding of land will also happen, it's already started to (in fact, even I've dedicated part of our back garden as a "nature area" that I've fenced off and am leaving nature to do what it wants......proper eco-warrior me)

The entire thing starts with the consumer, and I just can't see people wanting to change the way they live at present, in fact, as some of the poorer nations start to get a bit wealthier, we'll probably see more of an acceleration in consumerism and throw away technology - after all, there are still probably over a billion people in Africa who don't have a mobile phone yet, but who will have one in the next 5 to 10 years.

Fortunately, I won't be around when we reach the "tipping point" if ever we do get there, and we could well do, because there is pretty much zero desire to change anything that is going to impact on the profit for these large organisations.

40 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

It's the Gulf Stream tipping point that's so terrifying - if that goes, we really are fucked. 

Agreed - and it's the unpredictability about what that will look like if that happens. 

I think we sit here in the UK quietly over-confident in our relatively benign climate. It could genuinely affect our lives in a way that will make COVID look like a minor insignificance, and within our lifetimes too.

15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The Media are idiots, they can’t say China is responsible for 28% of carbon emissions and we’re responsible for 1% when we get most of our bastard stuff from China and fail to mention that 

correct Rudy, I've said it before, almost every single thing that we buy, at some point has a Chinese fingerprint on it, and that's never going to change, or certainly not in the near future anyway. And why do the Chinese supply everything......because we want cheap (and not just us, but pretty much all Western nations)

• Members
18 minutes ago, Sweep said:

correct Rudy, I've said it before, almost every single thing that we buy, at some point has a Chinese fingerprint on it, and that's never going to change, or certainly not in the near future anyway. And why do the Chinese supply everything......because we want cheap (and not just us, but pretty much all Western nations)

Imagine getting a British made fistmaster made out of old spitfires and TVR’s

You’d end up  having a prolapsed arsehole looking like a bashed crab

No thanks 

48 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Agreed - and it's the unpredictability about what that will look like if that happens. 

I think we sit here in the UK quietly over-confident in our relatively benign climate. It could genuinely affect our lives in a way that will make COVID look like a minor insignificance, and within our lifetimes too.

We'll be quietly over confident until boat loads of climate refugees start descended on our sunny beaches.

10 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Imagine getting a British made fistmaster made out of old spitfires and TVR’s

You’d end up  having a prolapsed arsehole looking like a bashed crab

No thanks 

As soon as they were banned from using real ivory, the problems kicked in with using low cost materials (of course, if you know the right people, you can still get one made from either Narhwal tusk or Ivory, feel free to PM me for further detail) - many of the basic models now are just a low cost resin, which whilst easy to clean, doesn't really offer up much friction, which of course is why  you need to order the "sandpaper sock" generally. It's always worth spending the extra if you can and getting a good mahogany one, I have just bought a vintage F2000, which is mahogany, it's 12" of rock hard black pleasure, I call it Rudy 🙂

Interestingly, going back to Spitfires, to coincide with the 50th anniversary of VE day, a few years back, they did release a couple of specials, the F5000-Spitefire, which was painted as camoflague effect, which makes it ideal for taking dogging. They also released the Lancaster-Bummer, which was a huge diesel powered iron thing, and quite frankly, only 10 were ever made, as it's only the sort of thing a real pervert would want

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

The Media are idiots, they can’t say China is responsible for 28% of carbon emissions and we’re responsible for 1% when we get most of our bastard stuff from China and fail to mention that 

Definitely. And the money we invest in Chinese companies. As @Sweepwas saying - the 100 companies responsible for 70 % emissions. 

A British company can fund/invest in a logging project in Brazil to source beef or a pipe line in Russia and none of the emissions would count as ours. It's what makes these new trade deals with Australia and such a joke. At a time when we need to be supporting our own farmers. 

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

All that sounds very nice, but it just won't happen. Consumerism is here to stay, and we'll always crave the latest/newest products at the very lowest price, which makes for throw away technology.

Every report that you ever hear on the news about any country tends to focus on their GDP and/or wealth, until that changes, and it would need everybody to change at exactly the same time, then nothing will change. There is a constant desire to keep growing, and that growth comes at a cost. The Chinese and Americans are the largest polluters of all, and they're all about growth, and they need it to service their debt levels and feed their populations. I read the other day, that only 100 companies/corporations are responsible for over 70% of the greenhouse gases pumped into the atmosphere, and they're pretty much all fossil fuel based organisations (China Coal on their own, are responsible for over 14%) 

Although, moving forward we'll reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, which is obviously a good thing, and globally we'll have to use more solar, tidal and wind power, that's a given that has to happen. Rewilding of land will also happen, it's already started to (in fact, even I've dedicated part of our back garden as a "nature area" that I've fenced off and am leaving nature to do what it wants......proper eco-warrior me)

The entire thing starts with the consumer, and I just can't see people wanting to change the way they live at present, in fact, as some of the poorer nations start to get a bit wealthier, we'll probably see more of an acceleration in consumerism and throw away technology - after all, there are still probably over a billion people in Africa who don't have a mobile phone yet, but who will have one in the next 5 to 10 years.

Fortunately, I won't be around when we reach the "tipping point" if ever we do get there, and we could well do, because there is pretty much zero desire to change anything that is going to impact on the profit for these large organisations.

Aye. There's no way we can all change at the same time. All these debts and reliance on the current system - it's hard to see a way out. But if enough young people are willing to live differently, then you could see a new political movement taking off and change happening. The good thing is that a lot of the changes needed could actually improve everyone's physical and mental health. 

Even if we do go over 2 degrees, which is probably happening, it will still make a huge difference if we can avoid going even higher. All about where we land ,which is why folk won't give up. If we can have new laws that imprison politicians and companies for lack of action then we can make a difference. The targets should be legally binding no matter whose in power. 

19 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Saw a young un Uber a packet of fags the other week so I'm not holding my breath for a new wave of yoghurt weavers to rise up and save our planet.

It's bonkers isn't it - my mates daughter will regularly order a Subway or a McDs from UberEats, its absolutely crackers. So a moped does a round trip of around 6 miles for a fucking veggie burger, or whatever it is she gets (as she's a vegetarian)

We've no chance while China, India and Brazil are hard at it... China particularly.

Once again its nature's checks and balances kicking in although I do believe Covid was made in a Chinese lab.

There are too many people, if we really wanted to do anything about it we'd have to licence reproduction

It’s ok pointing the finger at China but the UK has been guilty of exporting plastic waste abroad for many years without proper duty of care on where it was going. Probably dumped in landfill or ended up in waterways rather than recycled.

We are also proposing a trade deal to encourage imports of meat products from Australia. As well as the harmful effects of the transport involved it could do untold damage to our own agricultural sector.  How is this in keeping with becoming carbon neutral ? 

As for 'buying shit from China'...

Only women, kids and gaylords routinely buy unnecessary crap.

Real men would be happy with a telly, a streaming device of some kind, an armchair and a box or crate to rest one's brew or can on.

Just stop employing or giving money to; birds, kids and the gays.

Then they can't buy owt.

And 'tish windows of chinkies on a daily basis.

26 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

As for 'buying shit from China'...

Only women, kids and gaylords routinely buy unnecessary crap.

Real men would be happy with a telly, a streaming device of some kind, an armchair and a box or crate to rest one's brew or can on.

Just stop employing or giving money to; birds, kids and the gays.

Then they can't buy owt.

And 'tish windows of chinkies on a daily basis.

You writing Boris' COP26 speech Youri? Looks about right, just don't forget to big up Thatcher as the Greta of the 80s and it'll be ready to go.