Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are we going up?

globaldiver

Fully believe we will go up now, barring a load of injuries (touch wood). Even if that happened we have good depth to cope. Not sure we'll be Champions but top 3 is definitely on and even if we only made play offs I wouldn't fear any team with this squad.

Afolayan, DJ, MJ, Santos, Lee; all far too good for League 2. Would love to keep them for next year.

Sarcevic, Gethin, Baptiste, Doyle, Gilks, Gnahoua, Miller, Delfouneso, Isgrove, Tutte, Thomason are all comfortable at this level. Only saw Jackson briefly but can add him to that list too.

Brockbank, Delaney, Greenidge, Comley, Elbouzedi, Maddison, I'm not fully convinced on, the first two from that list definitely the strongest, the rest I'm not arsed about.

Assuming 1st place Cheltenham win their game in hand, that puts us 8 points off top with 12 games to go. Certainly within reach if we keep up the current form.

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter

The teams with 1 in hand seem to play next Tuesday and all look winnable teams. However, the Saturday we play Walsall, It’s Exeter v Tranmere, Harrogate v Morecambe, Cheltenham v Salford and Cambridge v FGR.

Win our next 2 and we ought to be in top 3

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

The teams with 1 in hand seem to play next Tuesday and all look winnable teams. However, the Saturday we play Walsall, It’s Exeter v Tranmere, Harrogate v Morecambe, Cheltenham v Salford and Cambridge v FGR.

Win our next 2 and we ought to be in top 3

That would be great if that happens. Although even if it takes longer, I’m ok with it. My lads were disappointed when they looked at the league table and said “Why are we still 7th!?” 

Getting to within 4 points of 3rd, 5 off top is brilliant from where we were. It would have been unthinkable for us to lose to Cambridge and it be a 10 point gap. Most of us said we were ok with a Bradford draw as long as we beat Cambridge and that was the case.

Seismic shifts at the top of the table are not happening, but as long as we keep playing as well as we are and consistently picking up points, I’m more and more convinced we are going up automatically. 

Crawley entertain Bolton on the final day. They may well be in the mix needing a win to get to the play-offs.

Exeter have Barrow on the final day, visit Bolton the previous weekend after a midweek home to Grimsby. They can expect at least 6 points from those three, and may need more to scrape into the play-offs.

We have Grimsby in their death throes, and then four contenders to finish (although at least one of those may have fallen out of contention.

I know this is childish but, for the first time in years, I'm doing the "if only" game and reviewing scores backward as well as games forward.

In the midst of this current run I'm even more peeved at the last second goal.v.  Bradford and the game changing, later recinded, sending off .v. Morecambe.

I was one of Evatt's biggest critics up to January, I said I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. Just now I'm being proven wrong. Whoever had a hand in the January window deserves huge credit ... though, & nothing to do with last night's error by Gilks', the keeper situation remains edgy.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Crawley entertain Bolton on the final day. They may well be in the mix needing a win to get to the play-offs.

Exeter have Barrow on the final day, visit Bolton the previous weekend after a midweek home to Grimsby. They can expect at least 6 points from those three, and may need more to scrape into the play-offs.

We have Grimsby in their death throes, and then four contenders to finish (although at least one of those may have fallen out of contention.

By then we may need a win to remain in first place and losing puts us down to runners up.

I’ll take it now.

On 06/03/2021 at 21:35, Ani said:

I take today as 2 points lost , same with Morecambe with those 4 points I think we would be odds on for promotion. We are 9/2 for promotion now still a big ask. 

We are 13/8 for promotion now, these last results and performances have shown we are real contenders. If we had not conceded late goal at Bradford we could well be odds on by now. 

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Hopefully odds on after the Walsall home game next Saturday.

Saying that its fuck all to do with betting odds, it's what happens on the pitch, playing teams fighting for their lives can be more problematic, I'd prefer to play teams like Cambridge than a Barrow who at least try and play up the pitch and don't defend in numbers, were we seem to struggle.

The games against Salford, Newport and FGR away, if we gain 5 to 7 points from those 3, we will go up automatically, we should piss our home games now.

My projection has all three as draws, and Morecambe too, with all the rest as wins.

If every team from Salford up replicates points per game of their last 10 games for rest of season we finish third. 2 behind Cheltenham level with Tranmere.

FGR 1 point back. No one else really close. Given this is the form basically since Jan transfers it seems a fair way to say how 'good' we are. 

The challenge for us is to maintain current form, the good news is that last 2 games against better teams have arguably been our best performances of the season. 

The result of the FGR game is massive 

Edited by Ani

5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I know this is childish but, for the first time in years, I'm doing the "if only" game and reviewing scores backward as well as games forward.

In the midst of this current run I'm even more peeved at the last second goal.v.  Bradford and the game changing, later recinded, sending off .v. Morecambe.

I was one of Evatt's biggest critics up to January, I said I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. Just now I'm being proven wrong. Whoever had a hand in the January window deserves huge credit ... though, & nothing to do with last night's error by Gilks', the keeper situation remains edgy.

Normally over a season we seem to be on the receiving end of the last minute equalisers/winners (well it seems that way).  This season we've had a few in our favour so the Bradford one feels a bit easier to take, especially coming so soon after the Barrow last second/could have been offside/they may have had a pen a minute earlier goal.  Loads of other late goals in our favour too this season.  Doyle v Cheltenham equaliser felt a bit flat at the time but could be huge now.  If I could play one pair of games again it would be Tranmere, those 6 points in their favour very annoying, I'd back us for at least 4 now which would have us 5 pts above them, and in joint 2nd.