Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

9/11 20 years on.Where were you when it happened?

Rudy

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, little whitt said:

they was one took off from New York  was hit by a missile or something 

front end come off rest of the plane kept climbing for about 2 mins 

all on board still alive knowing what was going on

before it plunged in to the sea 

That was Final Destination.

Youre getting mixed up.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Watched a documentary on it years ago.

As the plane broke up rather then burst into flames, the medical bloke said that most people on the plane would have initially lost consciousness but regained it as they fell through air with more oxygen.

Same with the Malaysian flight that was shot down.

Basically, it’s just better if you cop an engine in the face straight away because fuck me, imagine waking up to see the ground coming at you like that.

I recall being taught that an explosive decompression at 30,000 feet can explode your organs such as your heart.

I also recall being sat in a decompression chamber at RAF Henlow as they gradually lowered the pressure to demonstrate the effects of hypoxia, all I can remember is us all sitting around farting.

• Site Supporter
57 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I have a morbid interest in reading air accident reports

There was a good podcast on that exact topic called "Inside the Black Box". He did about 12 episodes, and then just stopped for some reason. Anyway, they're worth a listen. Strangely calming, considering the subject. He goes into massive detail.

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/inside-the-black-box/

Edited by Cheese

51 minutes ago, Cheese said:

There was a good podcast on that exact topic called "Inside the Black Box". He did about 12 episodes, and then just stopped for some reason. Anyway, they're worth a listen. Strangely calming, considering the subject. He goes into massive detail.

Oh wow, rabbit hole this. If I remember rightly the B52 incident was where a notoriously reckless pilot was at the controls at an air show and flew it way beyond its capabilities, crashed and killed everyone onboard in front of their families. The still photo of its last seconds is horrible.

As bleak a subject as it is, I'm looking forward to listening to these.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, little whitt said:

they was one took off from New York  was hit by a missile or something 

front end come off rest of the plane kept climbing for about 2 mins 

all on board still alive knowing what was going on

before it plunged in to the sea 

I remember that one. News programmes showed pictures of it taken from a beach and I swear I saw a missile hit the plane when I first saw it. Every other viewing of the same incident was without a missile. I’ve no idea if the missile I'd seen was an apparition, something just in my head, auto-suggestion or if the US Agencies “cleaned up” the footage after the event. 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Oh wow, rabbit hole this. If I remember rightly the B52 incident was where a notoriously reckless pilot was at the controls at an air show and flew it way beyond its capabilities, crashed and killed everyone onboard in front of their families. The still photo of its last seconds is horrible.

As bleak a subject as it is, I'm looking forward to listening to these.

Yeah, that's a "good" episode. Utterly reckless behaviour by an arrogant twat who thought he knew better than the Mil-specs. Total disregard for Air Safety.

51 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Yeah, that's a "good" episode. Utterly reckless behaviour by an arrogant twat who thought he knew better than the Mil-specs. Total disregard for Air Safety.

There's some videos on YouTube of a previous incident where he flew a B-52 at high speed 30 feet off the ground up a ridge which apparently made the camera crew leg it in terror and they didn't film the next pass which came in at less than 6 feet. That's like having a fucking Tesco speed over your head at a few hundred mph. Should have been long gone by then, him.

Edit - found it

Edited by Marc505

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Cheese. As ever your podcast recommendations are bob on 

7 hours ago, Spider said:

National geographic. Be on the catch up bit on sky plus/q

its really good, as bad as that sounds when you’re basically watching 3,000 people snuff it in unimaginable circumstances.

After watching the first four episodes back to back I stuck Whitehouse and Mortimer fishing in the Lake District on. Soothed. They are great for the soul

• Members

I still think the documentary which most accurately get across the sense of shock and chaos of that morning is this one by the Naudet brothers. They were intending to film a documentary about a New York firehouse when the terrorist attack happened and it then obviously became about that tragic event.

I think it's the fact it starts with footage of the firefighters relaxing at the firehouse the night before, before covering the period from the first plane hitting the towers through to the towers collapsing. It's just frightening how quickly people's lives were turned upside down.

The bravery and calmness under the most extreme pressure on display from the firefighters was just superhuman.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I still think the documentary which most accurately get across the sense of shock and chaos of that morning is this one by the Naudet brothers. They were intending to film a documentary about a New York firehouse when the terrorist attack happened and it then obviously became about that tragic event.

I think it's the fact it starts with footage of the firefighters relaxing at the firehouse the night before, before covering the period from the first plane hitting the towers through to the towers collapsing. It's just frightening how quickly people's lives were turned upside down.

The bravery and calmness under the most extreme pressure on display from the firefighters was just superhuman.

Aye, I saw that film. Incredible coincidence they happened to be "embedded" at the time, and then a reported gas leak had them at that exact spot, allowing them to capture it from the start.

Last night's film on itv: the air traffic control fellas asking for f16s early doors...

• Members
1 minute ago, Rudy said:

@Dimron I know this is more your wheelhouse but what’s causing the towers to collapse ( I know a plane hit them before some clever dick pipes up)

But has happened for the structure to collapse the way it does, heat of the metal causing it to buckle?

The Americans planted bombs on all different levels of them to bring them down. Derrrrrr.