Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury (H)

matty2094

37 minutes ago, Mantra said:

ESL was the perfect angle to see Sarce's goal. Beauty.

Yes I was right behind that too, it was in all the way, a great sight.  I must admit when we signed him in league 2 I thought we'd have seen a few more of that type, he's capable of that.  Sarcevic has had a great week.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The ref waved play on and over ruled the linesman. I think the ball may have come off one of our players and hence the lad wasn't off side. If that was the case then the ref was correct. If not then he's a sken eyed tosser. That said he allowed play on in the build up to one of our goals, so fair play on that.

Just now, Biggish Dave said:

Ref got it right imo, looked like it came off Izzy. Shirtfront Lino tho

Yeah definitely a misplaced pass from Isgrove (or at least a bit of an aimless swing). Thought the ref could have applied a little more common sense given pretty much every player had stopped playing, but I suppose we can’t complain about refs getting decisions correct by the letter of the law. 

43 minutes ago, Steejay said:

If Jones is injured, it’d be great to see Isgrove and Baka down the right next week.

Isgrove did well in the second half. 

Strange with Isgrove, he did play well, but considering he was right back I can't recall him having to do any defending (maybe I wasn't paying attention).  Would I want to see him up against a proper winger?  Not really, but well played today.  I would expect either Baptiste or Brockbank to deputise if Jones is unfit, but he would be a huge loss.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Strange with Isgrove, he did play well, but considering he was right back I can't recall him having to do any defending (maybe I wasn't paying attention).  Would I want to see him up against a proper winger?  Not really, but well played today.  I would expect either Baptiste or Brockbank to deputise if Jones is unfit, but he would be a huge loss.

I agree, thought they might have targeted him, but that's credit to our lads for not allowing him to be over exposed. Perhaps that's in part why Kachunga was a bit inconspicuous-maybe conscious of not having a full back behind him.

Made hard work of it.

And that free kick was central on the edge of the D. The only bleeding reason the D is there is to keep players 10 yards from the ball in the case of a pen, so bellend ref marches them two yards past the spot. Clown.

Edited by mickbrown

39 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The ref waved play on and over ruled the linesman. I think the ball may have come off one of our players and hence the lad wasn't off side.

Fair enough, hadn't seen that and no reply on ifollow.

Lee is a quality footballer some of his touches in the first half were absolutely sublime and I think he balances the midfield a bit more alongside Sarce. But keeping sheehan out is a big call.

Losing Jones at half time didn't help as we had to protect the right side more.

But a win is all that matters, still plenty of good football to savour, a couple of cracking goals and a solid defensive display overall

1 hour ago, bolton in bedford said:

Foot off the gas in the second half and squeaky bum time for 7 minutes.  Perhaps a bit of complacency, but less pressing probably means more recovery for big games over the next two weeks which could define which way we’ll head for the season. 

The table doesn’t lie after 11 games and I think most would have taken 7th.

To put in perspective, this time last year were 3rd from bottom in league 2, at the lowest point in our history.  I’m loving being a Bolton fan right now.

Indeed.  11th game of last season was the 1-1 draw v Mansfield when Sarce equalised in injury time and we hardly celebrated.  3 at the back, Brockbank left wing back, White played the whole game while Isgrove and Tutte were unused subs....strange days.

Chalk and cheese compared to now.  Win, lose or draw this looks like a proper, coherent team.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Made hard work of it.

And that free kick was central on the edge of the D. The only bleeding reason the D is there is to keep players 10 yards from the ball in the case of a pen, so bellend ref marches them two yards past the spot. Clown.

Yep. Might not have made a difference, but they may have been able to jump and get to it, who knows.

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

I was too comfortable at 2-0 so great to see us revert to type and keep us on edge.

Santos is a beast. Deserved to win, didn’t play brilliantly though we did play some top stuff at times

Right that we won and probably about the right result too. They were not a patch on Rotherham, Oxford or MK though, think they will struggle

Me too.  Very strange feeling, you want to be cheering and shouting and urging the team on, but the perfect storm of 2 goals up, playing a team nobody hates that's in relegation zone, with hardly any away fans, its just hard to keep the intensity, on the pitch and off.  Their 1st goal was almost a relief, it felt better to win.  

Santos was a rolls royce.  I had a spare ticket and brought a Liverpool fan who's not seen us for years.  He thought he was superb, compared him to Van Dyke, in that he never seems to sprint, everything is done at his own pace, wins every challenge and is class and unhurried on the ball.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Lee, Santos and MJ had a blinder, Doyle's contribution was great, although no goal again.

Doyle's pressing undoubtedly led to the second. At first I thought the rest were a little slow to back him up, but he hurried the defence, they didn't get it clear, and Dapo did the rest.

Won't get an assist for it, but it was invaluable. He didn't get a single chance, but maybe his work and movement helped to create space and opportunity for others. 

We won which is main thing.

Other than a 20 minute period was very flat  

Sarce should have been subbed after the booking, he was scared to tackle. 
The goal by letter of law was right.

Santos is like an adult playing with kids.

K Lee is excellent 

• Site Supporter

did anyone see the handbags after the game ?

as usual youth walk through away fans singing and abusing .

a shrews fan , only small but thinks he's big , goes over to them, some back off , but this kid who can't of been more than 15 and 7 stone wet through , chins him , funny as fuck ,then the old bald bloke who was giving it large to WSL tries to get involved , gets put in his place by pc plod and sulked off to the coach with his child entourage .

1 minute ago, victor meldrew said:

did anyone see the handbags after the game ?

as usual youth walk through away fans singing and abusing .

a shrews fan , only small but thinks he's big , goes over to them, some back off , but this kid who can't of been more than 15 and 7 stone wet through , chins him , funny as fuck ,then the old bald bloke who was giving it large to WSL tries to get involved , gets put in his place by pc plod and sulked off to the coach with his child entourage .

I Saw you skulking around on the car park looking for stragglers. 🤣