Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Worst injury you’ve had

Rudy

• Members
3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Now, thankfully I've so far avoided gout, and I do like a drink but I've always go through about a litre of water a day at work. Does that actually help? I just do it as I don't like having tea or coffee all day.

In terms of gout yes, breaks down the fat salt and acid 

great for weight loss, circulation, skincare, oral hygiene, tiredness, better sleep, metabolism, overall better general health 

If any one ever asks me to help with diet or fitness two things I ask 

How much water do you drink

How many hours sleep do you get 

Should be 8 hours 8 pints  

• Members
9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

great for weight loss, circulation, skincare, oral hygiene, tiredness, better sleep, metabolism, overall better general health 

8 hours sleep?!?! The actual dream. 

4 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Kind of is. 

I have a pint of port a night and a block of Stilton and I'm fine. 

Let's agree to disagree.

Before he was thrown from a high-rise carpark Alf Roberts was a martyr to gout.

He lived on Stilton, Roquefort and Danish Blue washed down with gallons of Port and Claret.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

8 pints, I'll never be off the toliet.

I heard that too much and it becomes pointless - I could be totally wrong though.

Best get supping a bit more then.

usualy in bed by 10, so always get my 7/8 hours. Can't cope without it anymore,

Depends if you’re physically active. 5 minimum. The amount of salt sugar you are losing through sweat will cause dehydration , even when you sleep. If you become dehydrated whilst sleeping you won’t sleep as well. If you feel thirsty, you’re way past actually being thirsty. 

Your daughter ran the marathon right? You can lose over 1000mg of sodium an hour running, causing fatigue and cramp, it’s no different being active all day that sodium needs replacing

50mg of sodium in a litre of water 

Your daily intake of sodium should be about 2500mg

Water, Vitmains, sleep. Crucial. 

10 minutes ago, Rudy said:

@Not in Crawley by the way how did she get on

Yeah, she did well thanks - she ran it with my Uncle. He looked ready to go again at the end. 4 hr 30. My uncle was really helping her round. He went for a swim yesterday to not stiffen up. My sister had a massive takeaway!

I'm dead chuffed for her, she's not a natural runner in that she doesn't hugely enjoy it and avoided all sport at school. She's been banned from doing another one by her husband as he isn't doing all the extra child care again. I think people forget that training for something like that when you have other responsibilites is quite taxing on everyone else.

My uncle's husband has also banned him for a while as he becomes really boring!

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Rudy said:

when it comes to drinking water

i drink far more when it's with cordial

just a splash like, but enough to make it thrist quenching, but then I go at all day

am hit and miss when it comes to pure water

I get there's some sugar in cordial but is this effectively the same, or as effective, or at least better than nothing? 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Zico said:

just a splash like, but enough to make it thrist quenching, but then I go at all day

I get there's some sugar in cordial but is this effectively the same, or as effective, or at least better than nothing? 

Better than no water at all. 

My daughter works in A&E and a bloke recently came in after he went over his foot with his lawnmower, he was wearing flipflops at the time, the best one was a guy got admitted because he had shoved a toilet brush up his arse which got stuck and I think he has to wear a bag now the pillock.

• Members
29 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yeah, she did well thanks - she ran it with my Uncle. He looked ready to go again at the end. 4 hr 30. My uncle was really helping her round. He went for a swim yesterday to not stiffen up. My sister had a massive takeaway!

I'm dead chuffed for her, she's not a natural runner in that she doesn't hugely enjoy it and avoided all sport at school. She's been banned from doing another one by her husband as he isn't doing all the extra child care again. I think people forget that training for something like that when you have other responsibilites is quite taxing on everyone else.

My uncle's husband has also banned him for a while as he becomes really boring!

That’s some going fair play. 
Yeah it’s a big big commitment I don’t think I’d do another one, might find more innovative ways to raise money for charity 

22 minutes ago, Zico said:

Yeah definitely a bit of squash in it will even increase blood sugar levels. There’s a reason Robinson’s and not monster sponsor tennis 

28 minutes ago, Zico said:

Can't have it to make sure I stay ontop of my blood sugar whilst I still can't run. As has been mentioned, sodastream has been a godsend to make it taste better.

55 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Depends if you’re physically active. 5 minimum. The amount of salt sugar you are losing through sweat will cause dehydration , even when you sleep. If you become dehydrated whilst sleeping you won’t sleep as well. If you feel thirsty, you’re way past actually being thirsty. 

Your daughter ran the marathon right? You can lose over 1000mg of sodium an hour running, causing fatigue and cramp, it’s no different being active all day that sodium needs replacing

50mg of sodium in a litre of water 

Your daily intake of sodium should be about 2500mg

Water, Vitmains, sleep. Crucial. 

I’ve been on 5litres a day of water minimum For a good few months now. Makes a world of difference to not only how you feel but also the mind. Sharp as a tack in the morning. 

I used to drink 3 litres a day of Diet Coke. 3 litres. And after going cold turkey I switched to water and best thing I did. I have Diet Coke now more as a treat and my sleep is much better as a result as you would expect. 

selection of vitamins in the morning as Well. Can’t hurt 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve been on 5litres a day of water minimum For a good few months now. Makes a world of difference to not only how you feel but also the mind. Sharp as a tack in the morning. 

I used to drink 3 litres a day of Diet Coke. 3 litres. And after going cold turkey I switched to water and best thing I did. I have Diet Coke now more as a treat and my sleep is much better as a result as you would expect. 

See I’m not just a white middle aged druggy 

14 hours ago, embankment said:

Exact same injury.  Complete hatchet job , from a not right playing on Barlow Park.

The muppet in question played for Park Utd . It was only November and I was his 5th broken leg victim of the season . Bastard was banned following the incident. 

it's shit isnt it, finished my playing days.  They set my shin bent so i had to have it rebroken, pins and plates, bone graft from my hip.  was on the sick for over 4 years

Worst ailment rather than injury is both my lungs deciding to collapse at different times (think the left one thought the right one had had too much attention so collapsed 2 years or so after the first)for no apparent reason other than me being a gangly fucker in my 20s.

I thought I'd fucked my shoulder sitting awkwardly on the floor sorting out Uni work after a few days went to see the doc and she sent me to A&E.

Had to drag my brother out of bed to take me, he dropped me at the door and fucked off back to bed. Both my missus and mum didn't answer the phone when I rang them so left a voice mail saying 'my lungs collapsed I'm off to Fairfield' they arrived together stressed out to me sat there with a big needle in my chest as the doc 'pumped me back up'

When it happened the second time I knew what it was said to my boss 'my lungs collapsed I'm off to hospital ill ring you when I know more

If it happened again they'd have superglued my lungs to my chest wall.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Blondi said:

My daughter works in A&E and a bloke recently came in after he went over his foot with his lawnmower, he was wearing flipflops at the time, the best one was a guy got admitted because he had shoved a toilet brush up his arse which got stuck and I think he has to wear a bag now the pillock.

One af the blokes I work with has a colostomy bag. It’s a long shot but should I ask if he ever had amorous feelings for a toilet brush?

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I drink water quite a bit. Nothing like Rudy's 8 pints, but it definitely helps.

I was told by a doc once when I was in bad place that I should drink water. Strangely I felt the need to anyway, and didn't really fancy a brew so often.

Do sometimes have squash, but will often slug down a mug of water.

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I drink water quite a bit. Nothing like Rudy's 8 pints, but it definitely helps.

I was told by a doc once when I was in bad place that I should drink water. Strangely I felt the need to anyway, and didn't really fancy a brew so often.

Do sometimes have squash, but will often slug down a mug of water.

You drink water out of a mug?!?