Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New York Hotel & Tips

jimmyjoojar

Nope its not worthy at it again...

I'm planning on taking the Missus to New York for the birthday at the end of October, with our young teenager lad in tow.

Any advice on decent mid range hotels, areas etc?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Mid range in New York?

Not cheap!

We stay at the Giraffe and it’s ace; good location, cheese and wine from 5-8 with a piano, so a bit tiddled before we go out.

Edited by boltondiver

I'm planning on taking the Missus to New York for the birthday at the end of October, with our young teenager lad in tow.

Are you Worthy...are you Worthy...

Are you Worthy in disguise :D

looked at new york a few times

flights seem fair

hotels really really expensive

airbnb may be the way forward imo

We'll be gone 4-5 nights.

Never really been arse about NYC but the Missus is and i figured i should do something nice and surprise her.

Given we have a teenage with us its not essential we're right near the life and soul of the party.

Appreciate the input thus far

• Site Supporter

We stayed in the Stanford Hotel when I did my marathon, nothing at all flashy but clean, well equipped and virtually backs on to the Empire State Building and Bryant Park so top location. There’s also a subway station right outside so easy to get about the city

• Moderators

I did Airbnb last year and it was fine

If you've not been before you may want to stay in Manhatten, but we stayed Park Slope in Brooklyn, dead nice area with plenty bars and restaurants and on the subway line straight into down town Manhatten in about 10 mins

Hotels might end up being just as much in Brooklyn but reckon you've got more chance of a decent place for the 3 of you there via airbnb

We went hotel metro. Brilliant hotel. Brrakfast was imcluded. About 10 mins walk from empire state and times square.

But it wasnt fucking cheap.

New york is my favoirite place ever by the way. Fucking loved it.

If you are going to be doing the tourist attractions then the new york pass is deffo worth it

Superb place. Always stayed at intercontinental Times Square w44th st. Great hotel not cheap though and suspect plenty of other better value hotels bit further from Times Square

Restaurants if you like Thai and low key no frills then go to pure Thai cookhouse in Hell’s Kitchen. Superb place

For an amazing if expensive steak got to visit quality meats its tremendous.

Also if you like your different beers try New York beer company on w44th st. Prices run like stock market. If beers selling well price up and vice versa. Superb.

Superb place. Always stayed at intercontinental Times Square w44th st. Great hotel not cheap though and suspect plenty of other better value hotels bit further from Times Square

Restaurants if you like Thai and low key no frills then go to pure Thai cookhouse in Hell’s Kitchen. Superb place

Also if you like your different beers try New York beer company on w44th st. Prices run like stock market. If beers selling well price up and vice versa. Superb.

We stayed in the same hotel

Ellens stardust diner for breakfast is a must

Would you say it was superb overall?

Wholeheartedly recommend looking at Casablanca Hotel. 50 yards tops from Times Square, free drinks and nibbles each early evening. So peaceful and staff excellent. Next door to a bustling NY Italian, with an excellent diner a couple of doors down. Supermarket across road for drinks and snacks.

Always highly rated on Trip Advisor (think it’s humber one at the moment) and when we went it wasn’t daft money.

Last time we stayed at The Manhattan at Times Square. They screw you for a hotel fee as a few chains do so watch for it. Tell them to get bent and you might get out of it. That hotel was very tired, but I’m not precious and bed was comfy.

New York is the dogs. I defy anyone to go and not love it.

Was a while ago when I was last there but we stayed at the New Yorker and the Hampshire hotel and suites both on manhattan. They were great.

Be prepared to tip like you've never tipped before!

I've just booked for 4 days in September

Flights cost £321 (including luggage) with Virgin from Manchester to JFK

4 Star hotel The Manhatten at Times Square cost £781 + £128.30 city tax (thieving twathooks) total £909 for 4 people

So total cost was £548 each, which I thought was quite reasonable