Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Water Rates.

leigh white

1 minute ago, MancWanderer said:

Do people still pay water rates these days? As opposed to charges for a meter?

Genuine question

30 years ago, it was included with the rent, but with privatization it was split up and you had to pay your supplier. I think my water meter now as been plugged into a gypsy camp up the road.

These utility bills a joke, received a letter last week from eon saying they were increasing my DD from £96 to £129 a month, as i was £32 in credit and my yearly usage was less than £800 I thought I’d ring Eon,  I explained my situation and she said yes not sure why we need increase and I’ll reduce back to £96 I said thanks very much but at less than £800 per year I’d prefer £80 per month, she agreed and I’m paying nearly £ 50 less than what the originally wanted., 

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Speaking of water I was surprised to see the reservoir in Derbyshire still largely empty.

Was on the news because remnants of the village had reappeared.

Would have imagined it would've been a bit fuller by now.

Tbf it seems like we’ve  Not had a proper wet week for a while 

Getting rid of shit and piss, while supplying clean drinking water at minimal cost to the environment is expensive I'm afraid.

Water bills are cheaper here, but Auckland regularly discharges raw sewage into the harbour meaning many of its beaches, you'd be fucking mad to go swimming off. 

Edited by jayjayoghani

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Getting rid of shit and piss, while supplying clean drinking water at minimal cost to the environment is expensive I'm afraid.

Water bills are cheaper here, but Auckland regularly discharges raw sewage into the harbour meaning many of its beaches, you'd be fucking mad to go swimming off. 

How disappointing. I always get the view of NZ being a picture postcard place.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

How disappointing. I always get the view of NZ being a picture postcard place.

Total fallacy. Parts very remote are like paradise and I cant deny it's a beautiful place but anywhere humans are involved there's a cost.

Many of the rivers are dead due to nitrates from intensive dairying. Clean air is a problem in winter due to people relying on wood burning heating, most homes here are very poorly insulated and central heating is very rare.  

CO2 emissions per capita are amongst the highest in the world, despite having a very benign climate where it doesn't get that cold/warm. This in spite of much of the power generation being renewable, from projects built decades ago. 

17 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Turd laden sea?

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Total fallacy. Parts very remote are like paradise and I cant deny it's a beautiful place but anywhere humans are involved there's a cost.

Many of the rivers are dead due to nitrates from intensive dairying. Clean air is a problem in winter due to people relying on wood burning heating, most homes here are very poorly insulated and central heating is very rare.  

CO2 emissions per capita are amongst the highest in the world, despite having a very benign climate where it doesn't get that cold/warm. This in spite of much of the power generation being renewable, from projects built decades ago. 

What a shame. Saw a documentary recently about the clothing industry in Indonesia and areas like that. Pollution was shocking but I expected better from NZ. 

Chinese are also building cheap coal fired power stations in Serbia with cheap loans. Locals having ash coating the inside of their houses.

Seems too few are really realising what they're doing.

Shame.

20 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Is it twinned with Blackpool?

On 24/11/2018 at 19:28, leigh white said:

30 years ago, it was included with the rent, but with privatization it was split up and you had to pay your supplier. I think my water meter now as been plugged into a gypsy camp up the road.

How long ago was this LW? I became a householder in May 1988 and paid rates to the council for the property and water rates (that were based on the amount of rates that you paid on the property) to North West Water.

11 hours ago, tkonion said:

How long ago was this LW? I became a householder in May 1988 and paid rates to the council for the property and water rates (that were based on the amount of rates that you paid on the property) to North West Water.

I moved into property in 85 and everything was included in the rent apart from gas and electricity.