Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What has happened to our wonderful town centre

Rudy

• Members

Maybe I’m seeing it through rose tinted memory glasses but Jesus what has happened.

Went in today to take my grandma for her eye test at Specsavers, I couldn’t go in with her so left her to it and I went for a wander.

I know there’s a pandemic but it’s like a ghost town. 
Crompton place, an out of place jewellers, geezer selling sky, new look gone, BHS gone, a pop up Christmas shop

Walked out near M&S, walked towards what used to be Burton, some shitty looking clothes shop and not much else, charity shops, empty buildings and beggars all over the gaff

Market hall was ok but so many empty places. 

Then the belly of the beast, bradshawgate.

Like downtown Damascus.
It’s almost unrecognisable from 10 years ago. From bank st to the Audi garage opposite B&M it could be and should be flattened, it’s an absolute mess down there. 

Where and why did it go wrong? Recession? wanderers moving out of town? retail parks? CHI-NA?

41 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Maybe I’m seeing it through rose tinted memory glasses but Jesus what has happened.

Went in today to take my grandma for her eye test at Specsavers, I couldn’t go in with her so left her to it and I went for a wander.

I know there’s a pandemic but it’s like a ghost town. 
Crompton place, an out of place jewellers, geezer selling sky, new look gone, BHS gone, a pop up Christmas shop

Walked out near M&S, walked towards what used to be Burton, some shitty looking clothes shop and not much else, charity shops, empty buildings and beggars all over the gaff

Market hall was ok but so many empty places. 

Then the belly of the beast, bradshawgate.

Like downtown Damascus.
It’s almost unrecognisable from 10 years ago. From bank st to the Audi garage opposite B&M it could be and should be flattened, it’s an absolute mess down there. 

Where and why did it go wrong? Recession? wanderers moving out of town? retail parks? CHI-NA?

Brexit.  Get over it 

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, DazBob said:

What has happened to our town centre is what has happened to the vast majority of town centres. 

Internet shopping, satellite retail parks, nearby large shopping complexes, etc.

Majority, maybe so. But nip to Bury. Great shopping experience, especially when the market is on. Bury has seen some big investment.

43 minutes ago, DazBob said:

What has happened to our town centre is what has happened to the vast majority of town centres. 

Internet shopping, satellite retail parks, nearby large shopping complexes, etc.

All correct.

Why would you bother going town when amazon can deliver what you want within hours.

If you want a day out with nice shops and summet to eat and parking youre going to the Trafford centre.

• Members
4 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

I go into town regularly. I don’t disagree with the comments. It’s sad but the plans for the future if (that’s a great big IF) they come off will be great.

What the plans, apparently the specsavers is moving for a hotel according to my hard of hearing grandma 

Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Bury pisses all over bolton 

I’d have to agree. Market days and it’s packed, loads Of shops, eateries, bars things to do, parking is cheap or free

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

What the plans, apparently the specsavers is moving for a hotel according to my hard of hearing grandma 

I’d have to agree. Market days and it’s packed, loads Of shops, eateries, bars things to do, parking is cheap or free

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/1bn-bolton-town-centre-masterplan-18761510.amp

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

cue frank telling you that youre wrong

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Metrolink helps many who live whitefield radders & prestwich do prefer Bury over Manc 

6 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Metrolink helps many who live whitefield radders & prestwich do prefer Bury over Manc 

Burys a decent spot for a few beers. That said back in the day there wasn’t a better night out than Bolton. Such a shame what’s happened to it 

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

All correct.

Why would you bother going town when amazon can deliver what you want within hours.

If you want a day out with nice shops and summet to eat and parking youre going to the Trafford centre.

The Trafford Centre is a soulless epicentre of retail hell.

I go into Bolton because Of the following reasons.

I’d rather shop local than Manc.

I usually bump into someone I know. (I know lots of people)

Northern Monkey and Great Ale at the Vaults.

I was going to list a few others but I was struggling to be honest.

My list is good enough for me though.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Bolton use to be a pretty desent night out. Bump into folk you knew in every pub. Bradshawgate, Deansgate & Churchgate although busy had a good atmosphere. Not been around town for years. Genuine question - has that part of Boltons soul gone to the dogs?

It was a great night out in 1980s. Coach trips came from all over the NW and beyond to sample the delights of Bradshawgate and then a walk up Bridge St to Rockerfellas. 
Although I wouldn’t say it was trouble free, the 90s say the folk turning up who were looking for a fight rather than finding a willing partner for the night.

7 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

The Trafford Centre is a soulless epicentre of retail hell.

I go into Bolton because Of the following reasons.

I’d rather shop local than Manc.

I usually bump into someone I know. (I know lots of people)

Northern Monkey and Great Ale at the Vaults.

I was going to list a few others but I was struggling to be honest.

My list is good enough for me though.

Aye thats fair enough.

I was more refering to the general population and its lack of visitors.