Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What has happened to our wonderful town centre

Rudy

• Members
17 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Bolton use to be a pretty desent night out. Bump into folk you knew in every pub. Bradshawgate, Deansgate & Churchgate although busy had a good atmosphere. Not been around town for years. Genuine question - has that part of Boltons soul gone to the dogs?

Starting at revolution and finishing at ikon I reckon there was close to 30 bars/clubs/pubs 12 years ago. Doubt there’s a third of that open now 

Just now, gonzo said:

Aye thats fair enough.

I was more refering to the general population and its lack of visitors.

Yes I know. I’m a dying breed. I’m used to going into town. When I worked at Hick’s I used to go in every lunchtime. My Mum used to work in the market hall and I’d call in to see her.
My Aunty also worked on the perfume counter in Whitaker’s so another call.

I remember when we played Wimbledon in the cup In the 80’s and Kinnear took the team around the town centre. Saw Vinny Jones in the Market Hall at a cafe, alone, with a cup of tea.

Town Centres are important.

45 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

Right , thanks for this 

had a business in  town for nigh on 30 years

the twats in charge are beyond clueless , i could post from now until Christmas about the stuff they have done 

and ho ho ho are planning to do

just let me get this bacon butty down and i will begin

cant be arsed , they have beaten me and most of you have heard my meaningless rants about it before

3 full cement  wagons to greet me on Bank street this morning and every morning for nearly 2 years , how much do you pour into the hole that was ,the Cromwellian, Maxwell plumbs etc, etc at what fucking cost  and for what point?

some scummy bridge for a load of dingy wallas to stroll over from their Bolton church wharf apartments to spend the afternoon outside shitty coffee shops next to Victoria square 

It's an improvement on what it looked like 6 or 7 years ago. Well the shops look less grotty anyway

It's still all bookies, poundshops and pasty palaces though :)

They fucked up  with the market hall. Really should have kept it part weird and wonderful. Shops there are mainly generic dog poo could have saved that for elsewhere

Is the vaults, or whatever is called still open? I remember folk raving about how good it was down there. I went once, about three years ago, and thought it was OK, is it still a thing?

Edited by Sweep

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

There wasn’t many I wanted to frequent in 10 years ago 

I used to love a night out in Bolton and looked forward to coming home and heading out on a Friday night. Last few times I’ve been home I went in 3 or 4 places max. Same each time. 

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Is the vaults, or whatever is called still open? I tremendous folk raving about how good it was down there. I went once, about three years ago, and thought it was OK, is it still a thing?

Kind of still a thing apart from covid stuff.

46 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Bolton use to be a pretty desent night out. Bump into folk you knew in every pub. Bradshawgate, Deansgate & Churchgate although busy had a good atmosphere. Not been around town for years. Genuine question - has that part of Boltons soul gone to the dogs?

It could be an ace night out 10-15 years ago and still had people coming in from other towns to go out there. Even then though people would say "It's shit now, 10-15 years ago it was brilliant." And it probably was.

But its definitely a crap night out now. Some very good places in isolation, Northern Monkey, Courtyard 36 etc but not that buzzing crawl down Bradshawgate that there used to be.

13 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Is the vaults, or whatever is called still open? I tremendous folk raving about how good it was down there. I went once, about three years ago, and thought it was OK, is it still a thing?

I liked it there, but it was bloody freezing!

2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

You could fit Bury's town centre into the Market Place.

Bolton's town centre is basically now far too big. The retail, commercial, residential and entertainment cores need consolidating into much smaller spaces.

So the council need to get involved in a big way so that's where it falls down. Fookin clueless.

Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Nice try 

Eh? The footprint for the Rock can't be much, if any, bigger than the Market Place. Apart from that and the market it's as shit as any other town centre.

Tbf, they did a good job in concentrating everything into a small area. Bolton need to do similar,  and if the supposed plans come to fruition then it'll be a town centre to be proud of again. I'll not hold my breath though.

Tell you what gets on my tits though, the amount of folk who moan about the town centre yet freely admit they never go there any more. It's the same as folk moaning about certain pubs closing yet they admit they never go in them anyway.

8 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Bolton's town centre is basically now far too big. The retail, commercial, residential and entertainment cores need consolidating into much smaller spaces.

So the council need to get involved in a big way so that's where it falls down. Fookin clueless.

I think you missed my link above.

Here’s another.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/new-vision-revealed-transform-bolton-18365280.amp

• Site Supporter

But I feel you’re arguing FOR Bury here. A smaller retail area, for me, is a miles better shopping experience than pretty much a couple of malls and a long street of charity shops and pound shops which is Bolton’s problem.

I can go into Bury and do a circular route from The Rock, The Gates, The World Famous Market, back to The Rock. Not so in Bolton.