Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pop Master

Whitestar

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Not scoffing at the spreadsheet. But a spreadsheet based on data derived from how good or shit you were at Pop Master…

It’s what Excel was created for.

Doubt I'd do it if my mate didn't play along or I wasn't a boring cunt.

• Site Supporter
Just now, dusan nikolic said:

I forgot about him . Will you be following Ken when he switches?

Definitely. Won't make much difference to me really as I only ever tune into R2 for Pop Master, then it goes off again because the playlist is fucking awful. Imagine it'll be the same with Greatest Hits Radio.

When Chris Evans went i stuck with R2 , its only like a 25 minutes listen on the way to work.

Anyway got really sick of the awful luvvy duvvy, glittery,sickly sweet darling, gorgeous people crap that Zoe Ball comes out with (luckily she's off sick a lot), anyway went back to the Chris Evans on virgin for a couple of weeks.

OMG if you just wanna hear him, him, a bit more about him and all his opinions thrown in then a bit more of him, maybe 1 record after the news and back to all about him.

Im back on sickly sweet Ball now, fingers crossed she'll have flu soon.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

When Chris Evans went i stuck with R2 , its only like a 25 minutes listen on the way to work.

Anyway got really sick of the awful luvvy duvvy, glittery,sickly sweet darling, gorgeous people crap that Zoe Ball comes out with (luckily she's off sick a lot), anyway went back to the Chris Evans on virgin for a couple of weeks.

OMG if you just wanna hear him, him, a bit more about him and all his opinions thrown in then a bit more of him, maybe 1 record after the news and back to all about him.

Im back on sickly sweet Ball now, fingers crossed she'll have flu soon.

Get 6Music on, best station there is

5 hours ago, boogs said:

Yet someone keeping a spreadsheet of scores to see who, out of 20 odd blokes on a football forum, worked out where the tits are behind a numbered grid everyday for 6 months or so is considered acceptable behaviour. (I don't disagree by the way)

I love this place sometimes 😁

How dare you! Don't sully the name of battlenips. 

That thread did more for this sites and its collective mental health through lockdowns than any pop quiz could ever do! 🤣 

Pop master should go with Ken. No one could do it as well. It's always tedious as fuck whenever Scott Mills or whoever covered for him. 

Radio 2 is now just 90s/00s radio 1. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MickyD said:

Not scoffing at the spreadsheet. But a spreadsheet based on data derived from how good or shit you were at Pop Master…

It’s what Excel was created for.

Excel is for storing, charting and analysing data 

Battle nips as you know it only exists because of excel 

No Excel, no league table and associated stats  

I'm with cheese, excellent use of excel 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Until Mary Ann Hobbs turns up 

I'd rather have hot wax tipped in my ears than listen to that dullard 

Must admit her voice gets on my tits a bit but the music is 90% worthwhile,

she always sounds like she’s about to burst into tears

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Cheese said:

Just checked my spreadsheet. I was lying. I got 33 on July 14th 2015. Could've sworn it was 36, but the records never lie.

33 for the week,or the day ? I don't have the wireless on, so I don't know.

A spreadsheet though ? For a quiz ? I must be missing something. I'll have to tune in, as you young 'uns say.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

33 for the week,or the day ? I don't have the wireless on, so I don't know.

A spreadsheet though ? For a quiz ? I must be missing something. I'll have to tune in, as you young 'uns say.

33 in one round (there are 2 contestants every day, and us Pop Master afficionado's call their turns Round 1 and Round 2). The maximum score for one round is 39 - there are 10 questions in each round. 3 of them are "bonus" questions. It's 3 points per correct 'normal' question, and 6 points for the bonus questions. The player gets a choice of 2 bonus categories - sometimes cryptic. For instance, some of today's Bonus options were "Girls and Boys" or "Elton John", and the bonus questions will be related to whatever option they choose.

The spreadsheet thing started because me and my workmate play it every day. We don't work in the same department any more, but we've kept it up over Skype. He's FAR better than me. He scores a maximum at least twice a year.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Cheese said:

33 in one round (there are 2 contestants every day, and us Pop Master afficionado's call their turns Round 1 and Round 2). The maximum score for one round is 39 - there are 10 questions in each round. 3 of them are "bonus" questions. It's 3 points per correct 'normal' question, and 6 points for the bonus questions. The player gets a choice of 2 bonus categories - sometimes cryptic. For instance, some of today's Bonus options were "Girls and Boys" or "Elton John", and the bonus questions will be related to whatever option they choose.

The spreadsheet thing started because me and my workmate play it every day. We don't work in the same department any more, but we've kept it up over Skype. He's FAR better than me. He scores a maximum at least twice a year.

So how long does it go on ? In a day, I mean.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

So how long does it go on ? In a day, I mean.

Not long. Starts at 10:30. First contestant is on for about 10 minutes, then they play a song, and the second contestant is another 10 minutes.

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

Definitely. Won't make much difference to me really as I only ever tune into R2 for Pop Master, then it goes off again because the playlist is fucking awful. Imagine it'll be the same with Greatest Hits Radio.

They are owned by Bauer media so it will be the same playlist as the rest of Bauer - Fleetwood Mac, The Killers, REM and all the other artists/labels that they’ve got at a discount. Same playlist on repeat no matter which one you tune in to