Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

UK Pension

globaldiver

It's all selective though. I've got loads of pension pots all over the shop, I need to sort that out, also I stopped my pension when the pandemic made me redundant. Yes, I earn a lot of money but it comes in and goes out.

I refer the gentlemen to my earlier post today.

My Dad as a headmaster retired at 59, not a fucking hope his kids will. Look how far we've come.

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

It's all selective though. I've got loads of pension pots all over the shop, I need to sort that out, also I stopped my pension when the pandemic made me redundant. Yes, I earn a lot of money but it comes in and goes out.

My Dad as a headmaster retired at 59, not a fucking hope his kids will. Look how far we've come.

You mean look how far you’ve come. Your situation isn’t the same as everyone else. People are retiring later, across the world, because of life expectancy. Many in the public sector will still and are able to retire around 60ish. though.

2 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

You mean look how far you’ve come. Your situation isn’t the same as everyone else. People are retiring later, across the world, because of life expectancy. Many in the public sector will still and are able to retire around 60ish. though.

No, I mean I don't have the solid base many others have.

I wasn't being unclear in my original post.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

I've been working at home for 3 years.

The free-notintheoffice- at home wank has long gone as a treat.

Same here 

I meant a wank in bed, not at my desk 

I have one of them after most zoom calls where there's a female on my screen talking to me 

I’ve only just started paying into a private pension (transferred from my military one) and that’s because of the missus getting on at me. In hindsight I should have started 17 years ago when I became self employed. I have rental property that will be my main source of income come pension age that along with my state one I should be ok.  🤞

Oh and my crypto! Always top up your crypto 😉

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Great stuff.

We started some thing called moneybox a couple of years ago and the wife still has her shares with M&B but obviously lost her pension leaving them.

Our plan was always bricks and mortar but that went down the swanne.

We do need a proper one sorting...

What do you mean 'lost her pension' ? You mean can not pay in anymore I assume , she will still have a pension with them wont she ? 

8 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Easy, if you know how

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Ani said:

What do you mean 'lost her pension' ? You mean can not pay in anymore I assume , she will still have a pension with them wont she ? 

How old’s Mrs Ani? If it’s anything like MrsD’s small pension she had with Littlewoods, as soon as she turns 55 she’ll be offered the choice of taking the pension monthly, annually or as a lump sum.

They should also send her an annual report with stuff giving details of where her money is invested.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

How old’s Mrs Ani? If it’s anything like MrsD’s small pension she had with Littlewoods, as soon as she turns 55 she’ll be offered the choice of taking the pension monthly, annually or as a lump sum.

They should also send her an annual report with stuff giving details of where her money is invested.

Unlikely if DB, but there will/should be a statement at leaving service.

Probably in a drawer.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Work in education and quite a lot struggle to make it past there.. 

Colleague I worked with has taught since 22, now 50 and is looking at options to retire in 5 years.. guys just mentally drained with it all (I'll admit the idea of 29 more years in education was too much for me after 8). 

Pension wise.. try getting a decent pot when you can't stick a job 😛 

Teacher ones not too bad, projects that I'll retire with 200 quid a month (4 years payed in) it's a top up to the state one

I've got 3 other pots, one has 600, one has 200 and then my current one that I've only paid in for 2 months.. Tempted to just transfer the other 2 into this one as the risk factors low (Having so little). I pay about 80 quid, work pays about 40. 

I can afford to pay more in but it's such a minefield and missus swanny is dead against it as she has a decent pension, and wants me to put the money into paying the mortgage off. We will be mortgage free at 64. 

2 hours ago, globaldiver said:

Easy, if you know how

Is this worth doing BD as I’ve 3 or 4 from previous Jobs.

In this one I’ve just increased to 6% and work put 2 times in. That’s the max I can do for that return. Could I be doing anymore. I have shares as well.