Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

AI is coming for us

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Spider said:

Imagine charging less for the same service when gas bills are now measured in bullion.

Youre a bit mad, you.

As I said, it wasn't a personal question about Zico's business model. Try thinking about it a bit more. Imagine your competitor is charging 10 times less than you are because he uses AI, and his customers are getting the same product.

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It's not necessarily the same service though. Would you pay a coding expert twice the price to do something a kid with access to google could do? Or do it for free yourself via google? Speaking theoretically of course, but that's the future.

the future is now, it's been like that for years

why pay a UK expert to do a job when you can go on fiverr.com and employ a kid in the phillipines for $10

coding, logos, design, etc

many people are happy to do this

incidently

you can employ AI artists on there already

so someone in India will already be doing AI images for less than folk in the UK doing AI images

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

the future is now, it's been like that for years

why pay a UK expert to do a job when you can go on fiverr.com and employ a kid in the phillipines for $10

coding, logos, design, etc

many people are happy to do this

incidently

you can employ AI artists on there already

so someone in India will already be doing AI images for less than folk in the UK doing AI images

Exactly. And it's only going to become more prevalent, and drive prices down to virtually nothing. There's not really any way back. The way of the world innit.

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators
Just now, Cheese said:

Exactly. And it's only going to become more prevalent, and drive prices down to virtually nothing. There's not really any way back.

same as it ever was

you just need to embrace it and add a USP

you will more than likely always need a subjective element to anything that AI does in terms of creative work / output

but it's no different than mobile and web technology changing the business landscape that existed befor the 90s / 00s

24 minutes ago, Cheese said:

No, it was a genuine question. In the days that it took a carpenter 4 hours to saw a plank by hand, I'm pretty sure they stopped charging as much when mechanical saws were invented. They just got more work that could be done faster. And if they didn't, their customers said "Why the fuck am I paying you to cut a plank of wood by hand that could be done by a machine at a fraction of the price?"

Doubt it.

The problem you've created for yourself is that most folk now think you're deliberately being a cunt. Which is a shame because when you're not an annoying twat you come over quite well 😁

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Zico said:

same as it ever was

you just need to embrace it and add a USP

you will more than likely always need a subjective element to anything that AI does in terms of creative work / output

but it's no different than mobile and web technology changing the business landscape that existed befor the 90s / 00s

I agree. Maybe it'll invoke a counter movement.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, jeep said:

Doubt it.

The problem you've created for yourself is that most folk now think you're deliberately being a cunt. Which is a shame because when you're not an annoying twat you come over quite well 😁

It was, I promise. I have no problem with anyone using AI to their advantage. Just find it interesting.

Don't care what other people think of me personally.

1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

So where do these ai bots scrape their info from? The likes of wiki etc?

Basically whole Internet and they look for replication to guide accuracy/authenticity as well as  other statistics.  It is impressive how quickly it can sift, sort and generate information,  but will of course be prone to errors if the source material is limited or 'corrupted'

2 hours ago, mickbrown said:

I know of a bloke who is looking at using it to assess students.

His reasoning is that in the real world you learn by asking questions. The better questions you ask, the better you learn.

He's looking at how to record the questions a student will ask and assess them on that and how they get to their learning outcome.

Not sure i understand this, are they asking people to provide the questions they have asked a AI bot to solve specific problems? 

18 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Not sure i understand this, are they asking people to provide the questions they have asked a AI bot to solve specific problems? 

He'll be recording their questions.

He says it's easy to do through an API although he is a bit of a genius

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

So where do these ai bots scrape their info from? The likes of wiki etc?

pretty much

some aren't real time though and may not have scraped the web for a while, so can be out of data

just asked google bard (who have access to "live" web data), our latest result:
Bolton Wanderers' most recent match was on May 7, 2023, against Bristol Rovers. They won the match 3-2.

then asked another:
The most recent Bolton Wanderers football match and result I know of is Bolton Wanderers' 1-0 victory over Mansfield Town on May 7, 2023 in the English League Two (source: BBC Sport).

which links to a broken page:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61398597

which is why you shouldn't just trust what they say out the box

6 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Basically whole Internet and they look for replication to guide accuracy/authenticity as well as  other statistics.  It is impressive how quickly it can sift, sort and generate information,  but will of course be prone to errors if the source material is limited or 'corrupted'

T’internet is basically heading for being a battlefield of false information and propaganda 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Cheese said:

Cue Spider posting "It's shit. I asked it <something random> and it said <something stupid>."

It’s version of Taylor Swift being brutally sodomised by me isn’t anything like as good as I’d hoped

#ChatgptOut

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Cheese said:

Cue Spider posting "It's shit. I asked it <something random> and it said <something stupid>."

It doesn’t even do pictures

Xhamster is safe for now

• Site Supporter

When you set AI the task of writing your research document for a doctorate, does it also let you know where it got its information from? Does it list references throughout your dissertation?