Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Managerial Roundabout

superjohnmcginlay

12 minutes ago, 1969 said:

Agreed,Johnson seems a big down grade 

I'd say similar about Moore. He keeps getting chances that can't possibly fail ... yet does. He managed to damn near fck up Wednesday last season from an impregnable position.

Warnock is an old dog & full of old bastard tricks but he grinds it out. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I'd say similar about Moore. He keeps getting chances that can't possibly fail ... yet does. He managed to damn near fck up Wednesday last season from an impregnable position.

One of those managers I change my mind about.  As you say, appeared to "blow it" with Sheff Wed, but to get in that position they won a ton of away games 1-0 or 2-1, where they just made themselves grind out a win, a lot to be admired in that.  They looked very organised and well drilled at our place.  Then it went pear shaped from around the time we drew there and he suddenly looked like a poor manager.  Then I was very impressed with the dignity and calm he showed after getting thrashed in the 1st leg of play offs at Posh, and it was a massive achievement to get promoted from that position with the fans baying for him.  

Clearly a great bloke with good principles, so good luck to him.

4 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

One of those managers I change my mind about.  As you say, appeared to "blow it" with Sheff Wed, but to get in that position they won a ton of away games 1-0 or 2-1, where they just made themselves grind out a win, a lot to be admired in that.  They looked very organised and well drilled at our place.  Then it went pear shaped from around the time we drew there and he suddenly looked like a poor manager.  Then I was very impressed with the dignity and calm he showed after getting thrashed in the 1st leg of play offs at Posh, and it was a massive achievement to get promoted from that position with the fans baying for him.  

Clearly a great bloke with good principles, so good luck to him.

I agree JR, I have a lot of time for Moore and was amazed when he was sacked by Wednesday, although there are all kinds of stories about wage increases wanted but then I suppose it depends what he was on before?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

Scott Parker being linked to the Sheff Wed job - no vacancy as yet.

Jesus. Like Lampard, if your club was linked to/appointed shite like that you'd be sacking it off for a season (or the 6 months or so they'd last in post before being found out yet again) and sinking your money into other things.

1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Rumour was he wanted a huge pay rise for getting them promoted 

And its not like he was an unmitigated success.  Yes he got Sheff Wed promoted, but had a very poor run to go from top I think when they played us, to missing out on the automatics.  7 points from 8 games including 1 point from games v FGR and Cheltenham.  Then the thrashing at Posh in the 1st leg, the fans were already twitchy and they may have thought they could attract better by being in the championship.

19 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

A decent appointment by record-breakers Cheltenham in the circumstances: Darrell Clark who did good jobs at Bristol Rovers and Port Vale recently.  At least new manager bounce won't be a factor by the time we play them again.

Cheltenham haven't scored in their last 11 league games. It's possible they miss Alfie May, who svored 2 last night for Charlton ... or, less likely, big Dan.

Just now, jmjhb said:

I guess his methods which saw relative success in the PL didn't translate well to L2. He'll probably retire now

Somewhere in Scotland will have him!

Speaking of Scotland, Billy Davies linked with Rangers. Not worked in a decade.