Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Escaped prisoner

37 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I’m telling you now, if prisons were genuinely terrifying he’d think twice. Whether he can spell his own name or not, he’ll know right from wrong.

In this case, it is black and white. Don’t rape or murder anyone and you’ll keep your liberty, along with access to a toilet that flushes.

You seem to be backtracking 

He is, but don't blame him for that, 99% of the population think like Spider does on prisons.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

I’m telling you now, if prisons were genuinely terrifying he’d think twice. Whether he can spell his own name or not, he’ll know right from wrong.

In this case, it is black and white. Don’t rape or murder anyone and you’ll keep your liberty, along with access to a toilet that flushes.

You seem to be backtracking 

Not really

Letby and Huntley are clearly cases where they’re complete whackjobs who would have done what they did even if the death penalty still existed.

But look, if you’d rather prisons were more like a rehab centre with soft furnishings and reacharounds, that’s up to you.

I’m just not keen for rapists to be gently asked not to do it again then given a ticking off and a free hat.

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

Not really

Letby and Huntley are clearly cases where they’re complete whackjobs who would have done what they did even if the death penalty still existed.

But look, if you’d rather prisons were more like a rehab centre with soft furnishings and reacharounds, that’s up to you.

I’m just not keen for rapists to be gently asked not to do it again then given a ticking off and a free hat.

Nobody is saying those things. As with other posters, you’re exaggerating the discussion . 

Rehabilitation and employment schemes for low level offenders can prevent a significant amount of people from returning. 

Do you want crime rates reduced and prison populations down? Or are you happy with the way things are currently? 

Edited by London Wanderer

14 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Nobody is saying those things. As with other posters, you’re exaggerating the discussion . 

Rehabilitation and employment schemes for low level offenders can prevent a significant amount of people from returning. 

Do you want crime rates reduced and prison populations down? Or are you happy with the way things are currently? 

What schemes would you suggest for those who aren’t low level offenders but are given pathetic jail terms? 

2 hours ago, royal white said:

What schemes would you suggest for those who aren’t low level offenders but are given pathetic jail terms? 

I've said a few times on here that jail terms for rape and murder are often pathetic. 

If someone with this level of offending is due for release then obviously we need something in place to monitor them to protect the public. Many end up on benefits and costing the taxpayer. I'd at least have scheme that ensures they do community work to earn those benefits. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

I've said a few times on here that jail terms for rape and murder are often pathetic. 

If someone with this level of offending is due for release then obviously we need something in place to monitor them to protect the public. Many end up on benefits and costing the taxpayer. I'd at least have scheme that ensures they do community work to earn those benefits. 

Good idea in principle, but risk assessments mean they can't. Depending upon the level of offence, sometimes they just aren't allowed. Plus it takes a lot of resources to do the monitoring etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Spider said:

Why is it even getting as far as a court?

Surely they just chuck him back in and his parole gets wiped?

A new offence has been committed., so he has to go through the system.

He wasn't previously convicted of anything, so no sentence/parole. 

I read something before, that this new crime might get a heavier sentence than that for the crime he was awaiting a hearing for.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A new offence has been committed., so he has to go through the system.

He wasn't previously convicted of anything, so no sentence/parole. 

I read something before, that this new crime might get a heavier sentence than that for the crime he was awaiting a hearing for.

Makes sense

But fuck me. Pleading not guilty. If his brief gets him off for that then he‘s a fckin magician

21 hours ago, Spider said:

Makes sense

But fuck me. Pleading not guilty. If his brief gets him off for that then he‘s a fckin magician

One night at Hicks about 25 years ago, management raided the night shift and found people fast asleep in sleeping bags etc. They were sacked on the spot. Long story short, having appealed for unfair dismissal, the company’s lawyer said they would probably win their case as ‘it was not explicitly stated in their terms of contract that they couldn’t go to sleep in their working hours’

Settled out of court with £10k compensation. 

Always read the small print.

Edited by BobyBrno