Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hs2 re-visited

1 minute ago, BobyBrno said:

Believe it or not ,it’s electrified here in in Bolton. Yes, here in the sticks.  The rolling stock is also new, not all but most. No idea where your info is coming from. It really isn’t grim up north. 

That's good. I'm sure someone yesterday suggested on the news there are still diesels chuffing around the Manchester area. Sorry I clearly misheard. Glad it's all good up there, for those who use trains

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Makes sense to spend the money locally then?

It's probably going to be over soon. Accept it. Start looking at things logically rather than "how can I twist this in a way that deflects blame from the Government who actually did it".

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

It does, provided they do

Absolutely. 

But not much point in bitching about things a day or two after the announcement. 

Bound to be lots of input from local mayors, councils etc to firm up plans.

Already seems to be enthusiasm from various groups, so hopefully stuff gets done.

As neither party will be reinstating hs2 the opportunity for continuity will be there.

5 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

As I mentioned somewhere else, from where I live into Manchester by train was quicker in 1890 than it is now. 

It’s wank. 

Where do you live? 
I can get a bus from where I live( near Bolton hospital) train into Manc, tram to Old Trafford (cricket) in 55 minutes. 
I’ve done it many times. 
I really can’t find fault with that. Some will. Mainly people who either don’t use public transport or don’t live in  the area. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It's probably going to be over soon. Accept it. Start looking at things logically rather than "how can I twist this in a way that deflects blame from the Government who actually did it".

What the fuck is that?

Logically, it was never a great idea. Accept it. Start looking at things in real terms that neither Sir Kier, nor Sunak wants it. In fact the former has always voted against it, and made a point of decrying the project as being bad for his constituents. 

It's all out there.

For the umpteenth time, this subject transcends political parties, yet you and the usuals continue to try to make it into a party issue.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What the fuck is that?

Logically, it was never a great idea. Accept it. Start looking at things in real terms that neither Sir Kier, nor Sunak wants it. In fact the former has always voted against it, and made a point of decrying the project as being bad for his constituents. 

It's all out there.

For the umpteenth time, this subject transcends political parties, yet you and the usuals continue to try to make it into a party issue.

It's over. Suck it up.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

In the last 12 months I’ve travelled by train, at all hours of the day, in the Uk, Czech Republic, Germany, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand. The concept of a ‘flawless late night train service’ does not exist. 
Where have you experienced this phenomenon?

it does

Japan

12 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Absolutely. 

Ironically, this was also the thoughts of the Brexit Party back in the day.

“I really hope this review comes to the right conclusion, but The Brexit Party remains the only party fully committed to scrapping this failed and unpopular £100 billion white elephant

“We want to invest in the regions and in infrastructure projects which benefit areas other than London, generating real economic growth across the UK.” 

It’s a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world except for Lola.

Lola knew.

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Believe it or not ,it’s electrified here in in Bolton. Yes, here in the sticks.  The rolling stock is also new, not all but most. No idea where your info is coming from. It really isn’t grim up north. 

34 minutes ago, Sweep said:

That's good. I'm sure someone yesterday suggested on the news there are still diesels chuffing around the Manchester area. Sorry I clearly misheard. Glad it's all good up there, for those who use trains

A lot of the rolling stock used by Northern is second hand, having been used elsewhere in the country. That’s a big issue because it means the other areas are getting the brand new stock in order for their trains to be made available for North West use.

Regards to Diesel; yes, there are still diesel units going through Bolton. The line between Blackburn and Bolton isn’t electrified. Nor is the stretch of Bolton to Wigan Wallgate once beyond Lostock Junction.

16 minutes ago, MickyD said:

A lot of the rolling stock used by Northern is second hand, having been used elsewhere in the country. That’s a big issue because it means the other areas are getting the brand new stock in order for their trains to be made available for North West use.

Regards to Diesel; yes, there are still diesel units going through Bolton. The line between Blackburn and Bolton isn’t electrified. Nor is the stretch of Bolton to Wigan Wallgate once beyond Lostock Junction.

The whole of the line between Blackpool and Manchester is now electrified at a cost of over £1 billion. 
Yes £1billion here in the North West. 
Some of the stock is brand new, some is existing and some has been transferred from other regions. Some diesel trains are still operating ( as they are in other regions) but will be phased out. 

4 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

whenever I came home after being out late in both Rotterdam and London , and that is after the 11-30 mentioned here, never had an issue with getting home and that would be any night of the week or weekend

I’ve just spent over a week in Prague. The same can be said there. We are talking about Manchester to Horwich  though. It really isn’t the same. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Bet he wasn’t on an overtime ban. 
Winners and losers.

Mohammed being the winner. Personal enterprise. Always the winner. 

And the 2 girls relying on the train home who don’t have the cash for a taxi, fuck em. They should have earned more money before going out on a Friday night.

Winners and losers. 😊