Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (A)

L/H White

14 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If we don't go up, Evatts got enough credit in the bank for another crack imo.

As long as we throw the kitchens sink at it.

Fan patience won't last long into a new season mind and a lot boils down to the board trusting him with another few million.

Think he's here start of next season regardless, but if we don't go up this year (I think we will) expectations next year will be high regardless of teams coming down / up.

Not sure I see the board throwing significant extra money at getting out of league 1, but may be some player trading / cashing in on assets involved (which might suit one or two's ambitions).

Best if we just get up this year 😃

Not to sound like some ITK muppet, but I work with a fella that is very good friends with a board member. 

Outside of Sharon, Evatt isn't well liked within the boardroom, and if we don't go up this year patience will be running very very thin with a number of them. 

4 hours ago, Traf said:

I'm no doom monger, I'm probably nearer to happy clapper (seeing as WW only ever has 2 options), but I'm actually a realist and here's my take.

Evatt has done a good but not great job here at Bolton IMO.

Promotion from L2 at the first attempt was the bare minimum to be acceptable and his poor starts to his first two seasons might have seen him sacked elsewhere, especially if fans were in the ground.

The slow start to season 2 cost us a play-off place.

Last year's meek capitulation in the play-offs was hard to take, but reaching the play-offs (and winning a pot) was progress/an achievement in itself.

Failing to make the top 2 this season would be an underachievement and if we're back in this League next season, Evatt & the team will have failed us. A play-off win now becomes this season's bare minimum acceptable.

I don't know who they are (don't ask), but I bet there are other managers in this league who would make the top 2 with our squad/budget.

Good post, that about were im at.

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

Not to sound like some ITK muppet, but I work with a fella that is very good friends with a board member. 

Outside of Sharon, Evatt isn't well liked within the boardroom, and if we don't go up this year patience will be running very very thin with a number of them. 

Whilst it may be well intended, your work colleague perhaps should consider his friendship with said board member before gossiping.

Would that board member be happy that any such information, that may have been said in confidence, now be broadcast.

Irrespective of validity, Chinese whispers serve no purpose and risk undermining the club.

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

You sound like an ITK muppet.

2 hours ago, L/H White said:

hate that saying more than you won't believe :D

it's absolute pure cock dribble, it's about the future, not the past

Well not really when we've spent the past 4 years instilling a philosophy across the club based on data, analytics and the whole club is geared around him and his methods.

It'd be some upheaval if he was to go. The club have invested a hell of a lot of dough in to him and his methods.

We've had nothing but progress during his tenure, at the first flat line it'd be pretty unfair to pot him imo. 

It's not like the season has been a disaster. 

Progress or lack of it can only be evaluated when the season is over.

How you measure progress is down to the individual and for me I think we've got better players than we had and we play very entertaining football - so entertaining it's like Shakespeare's comedies, tragedies and love stories rolled into one. The season so far has been an emotional rollercoaster from the sublime to the ridiculous and nobody can say they've not been moved in some way or another - and that's entertainment folks!

In that respect I'm so glad I don't have to watch the likes of Derby, Wigan or Barnsley every week. Boring, boring, boring.

20 hours ago, desperado said:

I’ll use your own argument against you here!

When we discus and give our opinions, we are not talking about certainties, how can we ever have a discussion if something was a certainty!

I would suspect the strong argument is that, Charles is our top scorer, he gets in space and makes runs our other strikers don’t, he can score on big occasions (Sunderland home, Barnsley play-off and Wembley spring to mind without going into looking at stats, sure there’s more), he scores lots of goals away from home, he harries and chases lost causes creating his own chances, he’s our most natural finisher, he’s scored goals regularly at this level for 3/4 seasons now.

You make it sound like we haven’t missed him. I beg to differ. Him and Baxter back in would have and will make a difference when fit again. 

I've said on other threads we've missed him, he scores goals and he adds bite and running and in your face football.  I would have loved him to come on instead of Jerome for eg.  But you've also almost used your own argument against yourself!  By listing the big games he's scored in, you've emphasised how few and far between they are and that none are away against a "big" team (he did get one at Posh last year), and that's the argument against IEs team nothing personal against Charles.  I'm saying if he's played at Derby, like he has on many previous occasions, yes he MIGHT score, just as Collins or Bod MIGHT score - but no evidence at all to say we'd be turning a 1-0 defeat into a victory based on having a player who has been very much part and parcel of our shortcomings in these type of games for the last couple of seasons.  Again, it sounds like I'm having a dig at him, I'm not at all but its strange to suggest he would suddenly come good any more than his colleagues would, let's not forget when others play in his place they add something to the team too, its not all either win-win or lose-lose when any player replaces another, they all bring something to the table.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Personally we don’t go up I don’t fancy a 5th season with him 

Doubt you fancy a 5th season with him whatever happens.

7 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

If we don't go up, I'm not sure what would change in another season with Evatt. We've had the same issues throughout his tenure on things like beating the big teams and set pieces. He's not exactly a manager who learns and adapts.

The only hope would be buying more good players to win more points by simply having a far better team than most of the division, which tbh we're not far off. Continue to add to the squad and we might do it next season even without addressing any issues.

1 minute ago, Stig said:

If we don't go up, I'm not sure what would change in another season with Evatt. We've had the same issues throughout his tenure on things like beating the big teams and set pieces. He's not exactly a manager who learns and adapts.

The only hope would be buying more good players to win more points by simply having a far better team than most of the division, which tbh we're not far off. Continue to add to the squad and we might do it next season even without addressing any issues.

Some decent sides potentially coming down

wigan won’t be shit again and theres some clubs in L2 who have investment if they go up

be a hard league much better than this one 

2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

wigan won’t be shit again and theres some clubs in L2 who have investment if they go up

Good point. And we might actually lose a couple of better players if we don't go up. So simply winning next season by having the best team/squad probably unlikely.

I'd end up same opinion then, don't go up, get rid of Evatt as I'd have no evidence to say anything would be different next season to get us up. If he does get us up, excellent, he'll have done a great job and deserve a full season in the championship. 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Well not really when we've spent the past 4 years instilling a philosophy across the club based on data, analytics and the whole club is geared around him and his methods.

It'd be some upheaval if he was to go. The club have invested a hell of a lot of dough in to him and his methods.

We've had nothing but progress during his tenure, at the first flat line it'd be pretty unfair to pot him imo. 

It's not like the season has been a disaster. 

I suppose if we don't go up this year, they don't have to pay the 10% bond scheme bonus, every cloud 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Wigan will still be a danger, but evidence so far suggests they won't be chucking money about, and they may lose players.

Rotherham look like they're dropping, and of course they would still have a decent-ish team.

Two big sides in pompey and Derby gone up and replaced by a smaller club, and maybe a Huddersfield etc.

Don't see how that potential swap makes the league suddenly tougher.

As for those coming up, Wrexham have to watch their spending because of ffp, and the likes of Mansfield and Stockport are also not going to be able to splash the cash beyond their means. 

Again nothing to suggest any more difficult a league than it is this season.

40 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

The problem is we might not improve on Evatt, getting rid means we will be starting from scratch, new manager new coach’s, new scout, a shake up of playing staff, new system and style of play and more likely less chance of promotion in year one and a large cash outflow to pay off the old guard. Changing managers is fraught with danger and no guarantee of success… and for all those reasons I’m firmly in the stick with Evatt camp, 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Wigan will still be a danger, but evidence so far suggests they won't be chucking money about, and they may lose players.

Rotherham look like they're dropping, and of course they would still have a decent-ish team.

Two big sides in pompey and Derby gone up and replaced by a smaller club, and maybe a Huddersfield etc.

Don't see how that potential swap makes the league suddenly tougher.

As for those coming up, Wrexham have to watch their spending because of ffp, and the likes of Mansfield and Stockport are also not going to be able to splash the cash beyond their means. 

Again nothing to suggest any more difficult a league than it is this season.

Brum stoke Sheffield weds qpr Blackburn all in the mix 

rotherham know the drill in this league

be tough