Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (H)

L/H White

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It was a comment I originally made 16th December, funnily enough Evatt benched him 2 of the 3 games over Christmas.   

Think about 5 or 6 games ago ( maybe more) the lad looked disinterested in some games , since then he’s had a run in the team and he’s looked a different player. It may well have been he didn’t feel part of the team being in and out all the time. I would say un droppable at the moment .

5 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Rico was outstanding for the telly cameras yet again. He'd be amazing in the premier league as every game gets a full TV crew 

Loved that little run he had in the second half near the corner flag, when he got up from a tackle and roused the crowd with his arms aloft, think we scored the third not long after.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Think about 5 or 6 games ago ( maybe more) the lad looked disinterested in some games , since then he’s had a run in the team and he’s looked a different player. It may well have been he didn’t feel part of the team being in and out all the time. I would say un droppable at the moment .

Same is arguably applicable to a few.

Frustrated no doubt, and without a run of games some will find it more difficult than others to be at their best.

Evatt did say previously that Maghoma doesn't suit some pitches/conditions which may or may not have helped his confidence, who knows.

He's certainly not average, and has just had ups and downs like others have had.

33 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Agree with this. 

7 hours ago, gonzo said:

They won't be far off being the worst team I've seen at ours this season.

They were fucking diabolical. 

Won 2 in the last 12 league games so the wheels have come off, and yes they looked as bad as most teams to come here this season.  Exeter definitely the worst I've seen though, followed by Cambridge.  Carlisle at their place too.

7 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

I don't have any doubt in my mind, that if Paul Warnes Derby play at their very best level and we play at ours, we would beat them. 

Some great comments there that I agree with.

On the last bit, I think you've missed out some important, decisive factors in otherwise close games:  a Coleman mistake, refereeing incompetence, self inflicted sending off or pen, missing sitters and sheer bad luck.  All 5 of those contributed at Blackpool and they have variously messed up our results too often.

If those 5 aren't a significant factor, we've got a great chance.  

Edited by Johnnyrotten

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

A bit tongue in cheek aimed at people calling him a cripple and not a starter. I love Bod, said a few times, he's the best striker at the club as far as i'm concerned.

Well said.  He's the only one that doesn't have to score or assist to be well worth his place.  Just a good footballer, end of.  The other strikers may score/assist more over the season, but in games that they don't do that, they don't justify starting ahead of him IMO.  The ideal would be a JDB/Charles/Collins combo which offers a bit of everything, but only 2 can be on the pitch at once.

4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Agree with this. 

In Fairness you never realised Kieran Lee was a Rolls Royce until he left. You deffo called it wrong with Paris. It’s no bid issue just to admit “I was wrong”. Just admit it and you will feel better. 

• The topic was unpinned
On 12/03/2024 at 11:21, Whitestar said:

Could start with having a half decent PA system and play some angry intimidating sounds to pump the crowd up a bit eh??

At Exeter they played "war" from Rocky 4 before the game . Im all for Run to the Hills , for those about to Rock , get ready to die, Raise hell . Not so much family friendly tho. 

On 12/03/2024 at 20:48, UKkuhl said:

white in exile in south west, why have we strawberries on shirt?

The two sons of our chairwoman have a teeth whitening business out of Beaconsfield  Bucks , they have payed to have thier logo on the shirts . 

9 hours ago, Army 11 said:

In Fairness you never realised Kieran Lee was a Rolls Royce until he left. You deffo called it wrong with Paris. It’s no bid issue just to admit “I was wrong”. Just admit it and you will feel better. 

It’s probably same reason for Kieran Lee as Maghoma, both were bang average in many games, both had many games where they had little influence and game passed them by, if the likes of Maghoma and Lee don’t have possession of the ball they do not contribute enough to the team effort and it’s like playing with 9 outfield players. FWIW Maghoma is now beginning to improve his off the ball stuff. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s probably same reason for Kieran Lee as Maghoma, both were bang average in many games, both had many games where they had little influence and game passed them by, if the likes of Maghoma and Lee don’t have possession of the ball they do not contribute enough to the team effort and it’s like playing with 9 outfield players. 

Jesus wept. Relentless :D

it could almost be admired.

Kieran Lee off the ball was outstanding, I've never seen one player make so many interceptions, and after a while I realised it wasn't all luck, it was because he read the game so well and didn't have to fling himself into last second challenges to regain possession.  

18 hours ago, onefinfrandsen said:

I'd also agree with this, times a month or two back where his body language within games wasn't great at times, maybe through trying too hard to do things that would establish him in the side and show what he was about, then those things not coming off or team mates not seeing the same pictures as him

The run of games, goals and good performances has given him security that he's a big part not a bit part and he's expressed himself more game by game, backing up what he can do with the ball with an increasing realisation of the graft required off the ball

10 hours ago, Krimzon said:

The two sons of our chairwoman have a teeth whitening business out of Beaconsfield  Bucks , they have payed to have thier logo on the shirts . 

Some of that statement is fact, some of it is debatable, I'd say.

• Site Supporter

Inside Matchday is a good watch. Every single player plus Evatt high-fiving the kids either side of the tunnel on their way back to the dressing room at full-time. Only a tiny gesture obviously, but really nice to see.