Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sportsman's Dinner

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Ani said:

Right you have sent me into a you tube hunt ! 

Must not have been play offs, their bloke fouled Branagan (or maybe another keeper) but he had the ball. Mr Keeper pushed the attacker and ref (think it was Lynch) gave the pen. 

This is a clear memory in my mind, am now doubting if it was even West Brom. 

I remember something along those lines, West Brom, little striker with a long name beginning with P and Branagan pushed him away and the ref gave a pen. Not sure it was the playoffs though.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Branagan didn't play v West Brom in Play offs?

Don't remember them getting a pen either.

Ok not play offs. Pechcisilido (not idea how you spell it) was riling Branagan, who pushes him. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ani said:

Ok not play offs. Pechcisilido (not idea how you spell it) was riling Branagan, who pushes him. 

I remember loads from the 90s 

but not that game/result, and I would've watched it on SKY I'm sure

but I do remember Fairclough's celebration, maybe he did it more than once though

• Moderators

Chris Kamara was the best one I ever put on.

What a fella.

Even came to the pub in Horwich with us for a few beers after the do.

Worst- Neil Ruddock

What a dick he is

Other mentions

Super John - Up there with the best

Big Sam - Decent

Norman Whiteside alreet

Dave Bassett alreet

Peter Reid - Good 

2 hours ago, Horwich said:

Chris Kamara was the best one I ever put on.

What a fella.

Even came to the pub in Horwich with us for a few beers after the do.

Worse - Neil Ruddock

What a dick he is

Neil Ruddock.

Did one in Blackpool and ended up getting my mate to order a quarter of bing.

They all pilled back to a hotel room and he accused my pal of taking pictures of him to sell to paper or whatever.

His heavies lobbed him out and never paid him.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Zico said:

I remember loads from the 90s 

but not that game/result, and I would've watched it on SKY I'm sure

but I do remember Fairclough's celebration, maybe he did it more than once though

Was at that game, think it was a New Year’s Day. Rank all round

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Neil Ruddock.

They all pilled back to a hotel room and he accused my pal of taking pictures of him to sell to paper or whatever.

I booked him a room at the Reebok after our dinner. I then got a better deal, paid for the room in cash and cancelled his original room.

Couple of weeks later, I saw a charge to my card for £250 that I found out was for drinks for mr ruddock 🙄

I got it back off his agent

Guy was a prick

£2500

15 minutes ago, Horwich said:

I booked him a room at the Reebok after our dinner. I then got a better deal, paid for the room in cash and cancelled his original room.

Couple of weeks later, I saw a charge to my card for £250 that I found out was for drinks for mr ruddock 🙄

I got it back off his agent

Guy was a prick

£2500

Think I went to that, was it that Horwich social club? Any how I thought he was decent, he thought he was a comedian rather than ex footballer though who told funny stories about his football days which would be my preference. 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Emlyn Hughes was probably the worst I’ve sat through. He had a voice akin to finger nails down a blackboard.

back in the mid 90s used to randomly see him all the time in Sheffield either in the pub or the bookies, or walking between the two

• Site Supporter

Best I've seen was Dean Saunders. And a referee called Keith something or other. Both a surprise but very entertaining.

Worst by a mile was Rory Underwood. I know he's an eggchaser but you'd have hoped he'd have stories about drinking pints of piss and fisting prop forwards, but he just bored the entire room shitless. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think I went to that, was it that Horwich social club? Any how I thought he was decent, he thought he was a comedian rather than ex footballer though who told funny stories about his football days which would be my preference. 

He was just an arrogant cunt, so thats why I said he was shit.

Went to a John Barnes one a couple of years ago, that was ok. My mate went to a Vinny Jones and Paul Gascoigne joint one and he said it was absolutely shite, he said Vinny was ok but you couldn't understand one word Gazza was saying, no surprise I guess.

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

Neil Ruddock.

I went to "an evening with" event, where he sat on stage and told a load of made up stories that didn't happen. In fact most of the hour he spent on stage was spent slagging Harry Redknapp off, and telling us how he was on £20K per week at Liverpool - at the end, he came into the bar, but had his heavies around him. You could go and have a minute with him and a photo if you paid £10 for the pleasure. One bloke asked him to sign a Liverpool shirt, which he did....charged him another £10 for that 😁

I went to a similar event with Paul Merson, and surprisingly, he was excellent, and more than happy to spend time chatting and having photos, and signing memorabilia afterwards

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I went to "an evening with" event, where he sat on stage and told a load of made up stories that didn't happen. In fact most of the hour he spent on stage was spent slagging Harry Redknapp off, and telling us how he was on £20K per week at Liverpool - at the end, he came into the bar, but had his heavies around him. You could go and have a minute with him and a photo if you paid £10 for the pleasure. One bloke asked him to sign a Liverpool shirt, which he did....charged him another £10 for that 😁

I went to a similar event with Paul Merson, and surprisingly, he was excellent, and more than happy to spend time chatting and having photos, and signing memorabilia afterwards

He was on that 'Cant Pay... We'll Take It Away' a few years ago because he hadn't paid his dog kennelling fees.

21 minutes ago, Cheese said:

He was on that 'Cant Pay... We'll Take It Away' a few years ago because he hadn't paid his dog kennelling fees.

which is probably why he's doing "an evening with" events for £20 a pop and charging to have a photo taken with him. He's one of those blokes, who some would say is a "character" but in reality he's not, he's just a bit of a fat old knacker, who has spunked away millions over the years

3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

which is probably why he's doing "an evening with" events for £20 a pop and charging to have a photo taken with him. He's one of those blokes, who some would say is a "character" but in reality he's not, he's just a bit of a fat old knacker, who has spunked away millions over the years

and as soon as his missus opens her gob you know there is only shit coming out of it

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Spider said:

Was at that game, think it was a New Year’s Day. Rank all round

had a look, early December, I still don't remember it, I might be getting alzheimer's, I've watched that seasons' goal compilations numerous times over the years

I remember the return leg clearly

sunday, not on tv, windy day, dog shit pitch, blake smashed one in at the lever end from 30 yards, won 1-0

branagan pushing peschisolido for a penalty. nothing

is this what happens when you start to get alzheimer's? the matches start dropping away from your memory, one by one?

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Sweep said:

He had part of his stomach removed recently in a desperate attempt to lose weight. To be fair, he's lost 7 stone since.

68418011-12076605-Ruddock_showed_off_his

Edited by Cheese

20 minutes ago, Zico said:

had a look, early December, I still don't remember it, I might be getting alzheimer's, I've watched that seasons' goal compilations numerous times over the years

I remember the return leg clearly

sunday, not on tv, windy day, dog shit pitch, blake smashed one in at the lever end from 30 yards, won 1-0

branagan pushing peschisolido for a penalty. nothing

is this what happens when you start to get alzheimer's? the matches start dropping away from your memory, one by one?

I was in Lanzarote- remember sky had a 'planet football' weekend or summat, so we were lucky to be on. that week we signed Jamie Pollock, made his debut the following Saturday where we lost 1-0 at home to Ipswich

I think?