Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jaaskelainen

Underpants

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "anti Jussi" people were just trying to say that after Al Habsi finished last season as no1 and did so well it was a little harsh for him to be dropped straight away after Jussi had blatantly looked elsewhere and was holding off signing his new deal, however yesterday Jussi was truly a match winner and proved to be one of the best around, Al Habsi if he has the patience to wait around has the "potential" to fall into that category.

I am one of the said Jussi doubters but his performance on Saturday does not change things at all.

I have always said that his shot stopping at waist height and below + his ability to save a one-on-one have never been in doubt. He is the best in the business...

...but his ability to deal with crosses is like most modern goalkeepers - average at best...

...and his bad habit of going down on his knees too early leaves him struggling quite often to reach shots over his head...

...so it was great on Saturday to see all the World class saves he was asked to make being at a height he could be on knees for!!

* p.s. yes I know I ain't no goalkeeping expert but you asked for an opinion from the Jussi doubters - so here is mine!!

I am one of the said Jussi doubters but his performance on Saturday does not change things at all.

I have always said that his shot stopping at waist height and below + his ability to save a one-on-one have never been in doubt. He is the best in the business...

...but his ability to deal with crosses is like most modern goalkeepers - average at best...

...and his bad habit of going down on his knees too early leaves him struggling quite often to reach shots over his head...

...so it was great on Saturday to see all the World class saves he was asked to make being at a height he could be on knees for!!

* p.s. yes I know I ain't no goalkeeping expert but you asked for an opinion from the Jussi doubters - so here is mine!!

his save from giovannis free kick was over his head and also fantastic

Jaaskelainan is Bolton's best goalkeeper and probably in the top three in the Premiership. In my opinion his only fault is his reluctance to come off his line for crosses.

Question for the Jussi knockers - name me a better keeper, on current form, in the Premier League or indeed outside it.

our reserve for a start (ain't even gonna bother trying to spell it)

i'm one of jussis fiercest critics but am not gonna take anything away from his performance on saturday..

he was awesome..

pity he's not as consistant as he once was..

As I said earlier, you can't take away that it was a fantastic performance by the Finn, yes littered with a big slice of luck but when you have one of those games, you deserve all the luck.

I will acknowledge Carlos's point, that when on his knees - there is no better goalkeeper in World football today.

Nonsense.

He'd have scorpion kicked it upfield where Gavin McCann would have hit on the volley into the goal from 45 yards out.

Actually I think McCann would have trapped the ball whilst on the run, jinked past three or four defenders, rounded the keeper and rolled the ball nonchalantly in to the un-guarded net.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.