Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Is Coyle The New Brown

• Site Supporter

is everyone not getting carried away with this.

it's only 14 months ago browny was the greatest ex wanderer to manage in the premiership. they stayed up by newcastle,s inability to score at villa on the last day of the season.

i don't see anyone shouting for brown to be our manager this season.

has it come to desperation stakes.(any port in a storm)..

i have nothing against owen coyle , but if he stays at burnley, lets see where they finish..

BTID.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somebody to take the team forward, i doubt it.

somebody to appease the fas, most certainly.

Spot on.

I have concerns about Coyle, as you say Homer - if its fans appeasement Gartside wants then insist on the new manager having Super John in the coaching team!

For me, we should be chasing Mark Hughes all the way but I understand on-going legal discussions with Man City for compensation may be an issue, thus the talk of an interim manager.

first time caller long time listener...

Re: Coyle's potential appointment. I understand the reluctance after the last new manager we took on, but I am excited at the prospect of OC. He's not even the been offered the job yet and the comments he has made about it being a wonderful job opportunity has given me a big lift, more than Megson ever did.

I can't really comment on his tactical acumen but I think he's got technically a poor bunch of players at Burnley and has managed to get more points on the board than I ever expected. Last season he achieved promotion on top of 2 cup runs, it was superb stuff.

I was watching OC when Burnley got beat against Everton, he came on the pitch, smiling, shaking the opposition players hands... this is a guy in control, confident and positive. His interviews are a breath of fresh air, no sense of panic or desperation. He does lack premiership experience and other names touted have more prem games under their belts, but I think Coyle's a manager on his way up, with his best days in front of him, rather than a last chapter in his autobiography like it would be for Peter Reid.

I think we have to pursue him, he's made for BWFC, most excited I've been for ages, but I don't get out much.

Rog

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Traf welcomes Rog's reasoned approach to entering the debate, but isn't himself entirely convinced by Mr Coyle's credentials.

I think I'd still prefer someone with a bit more experience at this level, like Hughes or Curbs.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Traf welcomes Rog's reasoned approach to entering the debate, but isn't himself entirely convinced by Mr Coyle's credentials.

I think I'd still prefer someone with a bit more experience at this level, like Hughes or Curbs.

Agreed. I can see Rog's points, but to me it remains that if Coyle hadn't have played for us, he wouldn't be anyones first choice for the job.

Track record wise, Curbs is in a different league. Season after season of success with teams of our size. So's Hughes, but I think it's a given that if he'd been remotely interested he'd have it by now.

I do not want OC to come.

He has in the past ignored interest from Celtic as he is committed to his contract.

We all moan about football being driven by money and players and people in the game being out of touch with the fans.

OC seems a really decent bloke and is doing a brilliant job at Burnley.

I actuall think it would be brilliant if he turned round and said he respects his contract and wont talk to anyone till that contract is up.

Agreed he hasnt proven himself at this level yet

• Site Supporter

BSA had no high level mamagement experience either. Neither did Mark Hughes before Blackburn.

True Coyle is a risk but, in the way we are a feeder club for players to bigger clubs, we may well be for managers. Wigan too employ young, enthusiastic managers trying to work their way up, and do o.k.

Very few axperienced guys out their, and none give great cause for optimism. I'll settle for Coyle

Still cant see it happening but would be happy with oc.Mark hughes would be most peoples first choice but he will not come to Bolton. Atleast with Coyle all fans would be behind him. First of all everybody needs to give him a chance, before moaning about his appointment.

Agreed. I can see Rog's points, but to me it remains that if Coyle hadn't have played for us, he wouldn't be anyones first choice for the job.

Track record wise, Curbs is in a different league. Season after season of success with teams of our size. So's Hughes, but I think it's a given that if he'd been remotely interested he'd have it by now.

For me he only did well at Charlton and he was there years, i thought he was shit at WHU, If it wasnt for ilegally playing Tevez then they would have gone.He also spent massive ammounts of money on shit players like Lucas Neil (?80k a week???). wouldnt like to see Curbs in the job.

I do not want OC to come.

He has in the past ignored interest from Celtic as he is committed to his contract.

We all moan about football being driven by money and players and people in the game being out of touch with the fans.

OC seems a really decent bloke and is doing a brilliant job at Burnley.

I actuall think it would be brilliant if he turned round and said he respects his contract and wont talk to anyone till that contract is up.

If every other club behaved in the wider interest of the game, I would see your point.

But they don't.

We should be concerned about the best interests of Bolton Wanderers, and bollocks to the rest, because let's face it, no-one else gives a shit about us.

is everyone not getting carried away with this.

it's only 14 months ago browny was the greatest ex wanderer to manage in the premiership. they stayed up by newcastle,s inability to score at villa on the last day of the season.

i don't see anyone shouting for brown to be our manager this season.

has it come to desperation stakes.(any port in a storm)..

i have nothing against owen coyle , but if he stays at burnley, lets see where they finish..

BTID.

Agreed, and not your usual radical rant VM. Owen Coyle for me would be a big gamble, and not one Bolton Wanderers and especially Gartside can afford to lose. Weighing up all the candidates and putting my results in to my ZX Spectrum the candidate that comes out on top by a mile is Hughes. We've got to spend at the right shop to get the right man - M&S not Neto.

Agreed, and not your usual radical rant VM. Owen Coyle for me would be a big gamble, and not one Bolton Wanderers and especially Gartside can afford to lose. Weighing up all the candidates and putting my results in to my ZX Spectrum the candidate that comes out on top by a mile is Hughes. We've got to spend at the right shop to get the right man - M&S not Neto.

Correct 'Pants. Appointing OC would be a gamble, and not one Gartside can even afford to make, not only one he can not afford to lose. We need a manager who is going to change things, and tell us how he is going to change things. Not someone else who is just going to save us from relgation season after long hard season.

My last word on GM,he was not the right man for the job, he was a Netto man, so now let's go to Marksis.

I think we have to pursue him, he's made for BWFC, most excited I've been for ages, but I don't get out much.

Me too, and I dont get out much either. Any player from the Rioch era describes the team at the time as a family, very close and I would imagine they are still in touch now. I like the prospect of Coyle because he would have the clubs interests at heart and someone the club can plan its long term future around. Coyle knows he has people established in the set up he knows, David Lee, Tony Kelly, Jimmy Phillips etc. The thought of these ex-players who I enjoyed watching throught the 90's getting together will make going to the match something I would look forwards to rather than any sense of duty. Nostalgia is a dangerous thing, obviously Hughes would be a safer bet but I think its worth giving Coyle a go (if we can get him).

first time caller long time listener...

Re: Coyle's potential appointment. I understand the reluctance after the last new manager we took on, but I am excited at the prospect of OC. He's not even the been offered the job yet and the comments he has made about it being a wonderful job opportunity has given me a big lift, more than Megson ever did.

I can't really comment on his tactical acumen but I think he's got technically a poor bunch of players at Burnley and has managed to get more points on the board than I ever expected. Last season he achieved promotion on top of 2 cup runs, it was superb stuff.

I was watching OC when Burnley got beat against Everton, he came on the pitch, smiling, shaking the opposition players hands... this is a guy in control, confident and positive. His interviews are a breath of fresh air, no sense of panic or desperation. He does lack premiership experience and other names touted have more prem games under their belts, but I think Coyle's a manager on his way up, with his best days in front of him, rather than a last chapter in his autobiography like it would be for Peter Reid.

Rogsuperb first post. I also share these sentiments. Thanks Mr Happy

Me too, and I dont get out much either. Any player from the Rioch era describes the team at the time as a family, very close and I would imagine they are still in touch now. I like the prospect of Coyle because he would have the clubs interests at heart and someone the club can plan its long term future around. Coyle knows he has people established in the set up he knows, David Lee, Tony Kelly, Jimmy Phillips etc. The thought of these ex-players who I enjoyed watching throught the 90's getting together will make going to the match something I would look forwards to rather than any sense of duty. Nostalgia is a dangerous thing, obviously Hughes would be a safer bet but I think its worth giving Coyle a go (if we can get him).

Having those 3 involved fills me with dread, actually.

somebody to take the team forward, i doubt it.

somebody to appease the fas, most certainly.

Homar Jay you should rename yourself moaner jay

Always bleedin negative and your opinion is always different from the norm

No matter who we get I will be happy with after two years of torture. We still might not stay up but lets all give it a good go with whoever is appointed.

Things will be better I can assure you; whether you will change is doubtful

No matter who we get I will be happy with after two years of torture. We still might not stay up but lets all give it a good go with whoever is appointed.

Two years of torture.... Really?

The word mug comes to mind, I'm afraid.

Peter Reid

Paul Jewell

Ian Dowie

Alan Irvine

David Jones

Gareth Southgate

Nigel Pearson

Steve Coppell

Phil Brown

Mixu Paatelainen

None of the above represents progress: we'd be no better off than under Megson.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.