Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dave Higson

Horwich

• Moderators

5 years ago today, Dave Higson was sadly taken away from us.

Hope he's having a "ding dong do" up there.

I wish he had been around to see the European games :angry:

Dave Higson - BWFC's No1

Makes me think of the last time I chatted to him - in a boozer before the Yeovil away game. He breezed in and all was right with the world...it was a Bolton away game, somewhere miles from home, midweek, in the middle of some estate God know's where. But it made perfect sense that he'd appear. :good:

Very sad loss in any circumstances, but especially so on the verge of the Euro trips which, as many have pointed out, he so richly deserved to be a part of :(

Just looking back at when I first met Dave. It was one Friday night in 1988 when the Wanderers where playing Cambridge United away in the old 4th Division (Friday 29th April 1988).

We were all panicking as the coach was late for the game, it dropped us off streets away and we had to leg it to the ground. Dave was on our coach and came trotting along in his usual manner, bright and breezy. "Don?t worry lads we'll soon be there".

I recall Dion Dublin scoring a header that night as the spoils where shared at 2-2 with JT (John Thomas) and Robbie Savage netting for the Whites. Cambridge where a good side then and the following season they ended up runners up in the 4th Division winning the play offs. They also reached the quarter finals of the FA Cup the follow season too. Probably one of the reasons I went to the game as people where talking how good the Cambridge side was.

I was at that Cambridge game... they were a tough team to beat, John Beck was the manager and they played "long ball"

As for my memory of Dave, I had the pleasure of being interviewed by him before a match on boxing day against Sunderland which finished 0-0 for a roadrunner video and he was a true gent!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.