Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

3 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

No idea if this has cropped up before; not much about Bolton but you hear his general thoughts

Lent on the hoardings in the small paddock at Bradford, think it may have been a cup game. Really close up to the action, some of his skills and play where out of this world. I always thought Neil Whatmore's efforts in the quarter final at the Baseball ground and Jay Jay's at Spurs where the best I have seen in a White Shirt, but his performance that day came close. Phenomenal skills at pace and with an end product.

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

Lent on the hoardings in the small paddock at Bradford, think it may have been a cup game. Really close up to the action, some of his skills and play where out of this world. I always thought Neil Whatmore's efforts in the quarter final at the Baseball ground and Jay Jay's at Spurs where the best I have seen in a White Shirt, but his performance that day came close. Phenomenal skills at pace and with an end product.

He was good that day at Bradford... 2nd only to Wayne Jacobs 😂

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Today's post harks back to the 1986/7 season. It was a year filled with poor performances that ended in relegation but there was bad luck too. None more so than at Bournemouth in the early stages of the campaign. 

We'd won 1 and lost 2 our first three league games and looked a decent bet to pick something up in this encounter with plenty of first half chances created before Tony Caldwell scored an absolute screamer (my main reason for posting this game). Shortly after however, Mark Gavin got himself sent off for a petty reaction to a bad challenge. It all went sour from there.

Despite being a man down the equaliser did not arrive until the second half. To describe it as a soft penalty would be an understatement. It was converted by Robbie Savage, who 12 months later would be playing in a Bolton shirt in Division 4. The home side then took the lead with an impressive curling finish before Steve Elliot got his marching orders in injury time, prompting a colourful outburst from Dave Higson at the expense of the man in black. 

Thanks for posting Paul , a good confidant first half that was ruined by Gavin's moment of madness , a belting goal from T.C though .

30 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks for posting Paul , a good confidant first half that was ruined by Gavin's moment of madness , a belting goal from T.C though .

It was the goal that made me want to post that game. I'd not been putting defeats on you tube, though will do so if folk request them like you did with that Derby match from 85/6.

TC's goal deserved sharing

13 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It was the goal that made me want to post that game. I'd not been putting defeats on you tube, though will do so if folk request them like you did with that Derby match from 85/6.

TC's goal deserved sharing

Yes mate  I appreciated you putting it on , considering I don't think you had put a defeat on before. I suppose defeats are part of our History whether we like it or not , personally I just love footage from that era , Derby defeats may be a different matter though.

20 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Yes mate  I appreciated you putting it on , considering I don't think you had put a defeat on before. I suppose defeats are part of our History whether we like it or not , personally I just love footage from that era , Derby defeats may be a different matter though.

Yes I've got a defeat or two by Wigan, Bury and Blackpool - their fans can forget ever seeing them again if I have the only copies! Could maybe make an exception for Bury given their plight but I doubt it! 

TC was underrated.  Some of his goals were fantastic, I've never seen that Bournemouth one before.  Another game from 86/87 where we looked impressive and you wonder how we lost.  Back to TC, I remember an outrageous Beckham type goal from about 35 yards against Doncaster when they had the Snodin brothers playing, I've never seen it on video but it felt world class at the time!  In all Caldwell's time at the club I never recall ever thinking "he's not that good", I could count that type of striker on the fingers of 1 hand, even the best players like SKD and Anelka, occasionally I thought they were crap on given days.  Never felt that with TC.  Juke in that category too.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

TC was underrated.  Some of his goals were fantastic, I've never seen that Bournemouth one before.  Another game from 86/87 where we looked impressive and you wonder how we lost.  Back to TC, I remember an outrageous Beckham type goal from about 35 yards against Doncaster when they had the Snodin brothers playing, I've never seen it on video but it felt world class at the time!  In all Caldwell's time at the club I never recall ever thinking "he's not that good", I could count that type of striker on the fingers of 1 hand, even the best players like SKD and Anelka, occasionally I thought they were crap on given days.  Never felt that with TC.  Juke in that category too.

For me personally he was my first hero , I was gutted when he left and I'm sure he would of done a good job for us in div 4 , but in fairness John Thomas came in and had a great season. I often wonder how he would have fared in the Bolton team of 3 years later when we had a much more solid team , but would he have been better than Philliskirk/Reeves ?

Edited by dusan nikolic

9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I remember that Doncaster goal. Shortly after John McGovern was sacked we went on a run of about 5 consecutive league wins and got to the fringes of midtable. They appointed Charlie Wright on the strength of that run and we then promptly went about nine games without a win. My memory of that goal was that it was from way out wide as well as being from distance. He was pretty much stood in front of the Burnden Paddock.

Blimey. I'd forgotten all about that Doncaster goal.  The BEN on Monday had a picture of a bewildered Dennis Peacock watching it fly inside his far post.

2 other goals of Caldwells that spring to mind are a volley against Scunthorpe and a Worthy style chip and finish over Port Vales Barry Siddall.

Any chance of that 1-1 draw at Blackpool Paul? The one with Suttys header?

7 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Blimey. I'd forgotten all about that Doncaster goal.  The BEN on Monday had a picture of a bewildered Dennis Peacock watching it fly inside his far post.

2 other goals of Caldwells that spring to mind are a volley against Scunthorpe and a Worthy style chip and finish over Port Vales Barry Siddall.

Any chance of that 1-1 draw at Blackpool Paul? The one with Suttys header?

Aye, I'll get that one up on You Tube next weekend or the one after (I've got another couple lined up for today and tomorrow.)

Another game we could have won at Blackpool but ended up drawing. A common theme there!

One suggestion for you Paul if you have it. 3-2 home win over Fulham in about 89. Topsy turvy last couple of minutes, involving a calamitous mixup in defence with Felgate and Thompson. Trevor Morgan saves the day and if I recall correctly Dave Higson was on form. 

11 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

One suggestion for you Paul if you have it. 3-2 home win over Fulham in about 89. Topsy turvy last couple of minutes, involving a calamitous mixup in defence with Felgate and Thompson. Trevor Morgan saves the day and if I recall correctly Dave Higson was on form. 

I don't have that one sadly. It would have been a Roadrunner one by that stage and I've only got a scattering of those. I do remember the game. We had a half decent start to 88/89 after promotion from Div 4 .... then came a real winter of discontent.

I do have a 3-2 home win over Fulham from 86/7 that I'll have to share at some point!

Back to New Year's Day 2001 and the completion of the double over Preston on our way to promotion to the Prem under Big Sam. Of course that was achieved with the win over PNE at Cardiff so it was a treble in the end.

This was the first time Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn and PNE had been in the same division for many years. We did well in all of the fixtures other than the 1-4 home defeat to Blackburn, 

A big away following saw us take an early lead thanks to Gareth Farrelly (as was the case at Cardiff!) before Michael Ricketts sealed the win with a late header having come on as a sub - something he did to great effect several times in that campaign. 

Just before Christmas we'd triumphed 0-2 at Burnley so it was a good festive season for derby wins.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Back to New Year's Day 2001 and the completion of the double over Preston on our way to promotion to the Prem under Big Sam. Of course that was achieved with the win over PNE at Cardiff so it was a treble in the end.

This was the first time Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn and PNE had been in the same division for many years. We did well in all of the fixtures other than the 1-4 home defeat to Blackburn, 

A big away following saw us take an early lead thanks to Gareth Farrelly (as was the case at Cardiff!) before Michael Ricketts sealed the win with a late header having come on as a sub - something he did to great effect several times in that campaign. 

Just before Christmas we'd triumphed 0-2 at Burnley so it was a good festive season for derby wins.

Didn't stop drinking until 7 that morning, went to the pub to watch it & still had most of the only pint I bought left when it finished. Rough as fuck! Went back to bed and didn't surface until the next day. 

16 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Didn't stop drinking until 7 that morning, went to the pub to watch it & still had most of the only pint I bought left when it finished. Rough as fuck! Went back to bed and didn't surface until the next day. 

Sounds like a pretty good New Year's Eve do! At least we won!

18 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

McDonald's in Preston at 11am on New Years Day was a sight to behold

Imagine the Walking Dead but each carrying a big Mac and a half empty bottle of vodka

The walk of shame. Fans sound pretty loud after each goal so that can't have done much to cure sore heads either!

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

I remember having the worst new years day hangover ever , I crawled downstairs onto the couch and watched it through one eye . Straight to bed afterwards and didn't emerge until 9pm . 

A good win though and Ricketts proving what a great striker he was at this time.

1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

I remember having the worst new years day hangover ever , I crawled downstairs onto the couch and watched it through one eye . Straight to bed afterwards and didn't emerge until 9pm . 

A good win though and Ricketts proving what a great striker he was at this time.

I watched it and can't remember a hangover. There's no way I'd have been sober the night before. One of my worst hangovers at any match was a New Year's Day job a decade earlier ... when Comstive scored his two corners v Bournemouth at home.

23 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I watched it and can't remember a hangover. There's no way I'd have been sober the night before. One of my worst hangovers at any match was a New Year's Day job a decade earlier ... when Comstive scored his two corners v Bournemouth at home.

I always found that your hangover disappeared for a minute or two after we scored , and then the headache would come back with a vengeance. 

My worst hangover at a game was at home to Man City , and we lost 1-0 in 2000ish . My god talk about wanting to curl up and die on the back seat coming home  , I've never wanted a match to finish so quick.

Edited by dusan nikolic

On Ferny's coach for that Preston game & he'd lined up a backstreet pub in Preston for an early start. I couldn't find it again & doubt if it's still there.

At the game , for the only time for some reason, we were down the side in a terrace under the stand. When we scored, my mate bashed his head on the roof above.