Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

10 Things That Should Be Banned From Modern Football

Piemon

• Site Supporter

Yeah bit without SKY, would clubs like ourselves be able to survive, plus I like watching other teams, definitely Barca.

Maybe survive but in the same places as Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, etc.

Look up and down the tables; including conference. There's a hell of a lot of our old adversaries still down there. Just goes to show, bloody good club management steered the club in the right direction at the right time.

True that.

Say with our debt, we never got the income we do from things like SKY, we'd be screwed, wouldn't we? I know a lot of things combined have made football what it is today.M

aybe in the past SKY could have been told they can't be a part of football, but if it got banned now, well I think that would do the game more bad than good, may get a few more seats filled, but what else?

SKY SPORTS is excellent, football every day almost, great entertainment.

Edited by Didledee

Sky has become the ultimate catch 22. All the clubs greedily took the cash on the table to keep up with the biggest clubs and in turn Sky turned English football into one of largest sporting francises in the world. The fans saw the biggest names in the world flood into the league to get rich, who they played for didn't matter. The fans saw the even smaller clubs signing international players and became as greedy as the clubs themselves, called for chairman's heads if they weren't competing for these signatures. Out of self preservation the boards overspent on wages and transfers to the point where like a heroin addict they need that Sky money just to keep alive. Sky deals the cash around and now has all the power. Clubs play to their tune which, considering the clubs are delivering the product, is the biggest arse about face situation in sport. Another consequence of this ludicrous situation is that the players are now more powerful than the clubs they play for, contracts mean nothing at all. So the fans got what they asked for and in turn feel more distant from the clubs they support.

Even putting aside the Super Sunday, relaxation meltdown, top four bombast that Sky perpetuates it kills smaller clubs at local level. The child in Northampton will hear more about Chelsea than their local club, it's easy to watch almost all their games at home. Who are they going to support? Do you think Bolton's world fanbase has grown expodentially since the advent of Sky, or Stokes, or Middlesborough's, or Newcastle's? No, the big clubs have got bigger, we're just on Sky's drip just to be on a treadmill of staying in the Premiership. This in turn devalues all cup competitions so most fans very rarely go for a cup run. Once again, fans get disenfranchised by just playing to avoid delegation year in year out whilstvthe club racks up millions of pounds worth of debt.

As for watching the best players on the planet, I recall doing that in the mid 90s on Channel 4, and finally what has really hot my goat is those sycophantic ads celebrating 20 years of Sky Sports as though all of this has been of benefit to the sport we love. It's easy to dominate when you are the only show in town. If England play people watch the BBC, it shows just how good Sky's coverage is.

• Site Supporter

But the "Football every day" is what's spoiling it.

The overkill means we're no longer desparate for weekend to arrive to get our footy fix.

Added to the fact that the grounds are fairly sterile and bereft of any semblance of atmosphere and you may as well be watching from your armchair anyway!

• Site Supporter

Moreso when the sky bosses cowtow to the popular masses by putting a high percentage of top 5/6 games on. This is part of the reason loads of kids pretend to be ManU fans; because that's the team they see every week on Sky.

• Members

Absolutely true re the excess coverage. Yes, in a way, it's great.

.. but it takes away the excitement somewhat.

Even when I was a kid there was pretty much one televised game per week (which of course would never, ever be Bolton) and apart from that there was Match of the Day. That was it. To find out what was going on you could check on Telext.. and then see if there was anything different on Ceefax.

Nowadays you can simply check what the latest news is on your phone whilst having a dump at work.

I remember the excitement of getting to see the odd player playing for the opposition at Burnden who you'd actually heard of previously and seen him on the telly. Christ, it sounds like I'm talking about something from 50 years ago, not 20 years ago.

Yes, I like the fact that I can watch plenty of live football and can always find a live feed for a Bolton game I can't attend, but there's no doubt it's taken some of the soul out of football.

Edited by DazBobParr

• Moderators

I know, but life to you Diddly Gump may be a box of chocolates, watching Sky sports and transformers, other folk have things like commitments and a social life

not going out getting pissed doesn't make him a bad person

being workshy makes him a cnut but theres lot worse on this earth than the site simpleton

• Site Supporter

Moreso when the sky bosses cowtow to the popular masses by putting a high percentage of top 5/6 games on. This is part of the reason loads of kids pretend to be ManU fans; because that's the team they see every week on Sky.

this makes my blood boil

as previously posted, i took my lad to his 1st game last week.

afterwards i was telling my mate. his reply?

"yea, i bought little johnny his 1st liverpool shirt this season, we watch all the games now"

"oh yea", i didnt realise you went.

"no we dont but we watch all the games on telly, he loves it."

:roll:

and whats worse, him and his lad are both from chorley and probably dont even know the fukcin way to anfield.

Edited by HomerJay

Squad numbers - balls to it - 1 to 11.

Half a million subs

That lining up shaking hands before the game bollox

Music at goals - for fucks sake, stop it - makes me want us to not score goals.

Drums.

Footballers with full sleeve tattoos - fecking Beckham wannabe sheep.

Tight long sleeved tops under short sleeved shirts.

Goalkeepers in short sleeved shirts - makes me think you can't be arsed diving

Thinking about it - most things piss me off.

Remind me, why do I go again?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.