Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers 1 Tottenham 4

Guest bwfcdan

We were simply beaten by a better team. Spurs could and should have been two up before half time

. A good fifteen mins spell early second half brought us level but fell for the sucker punch again and again and again.

Its out of our hands now and we must better what QPR do or were down. The main issues lie with a feeble midfield which in turn places more pressure on an already overworked defence. Not looking good.

For the first time in ages it looked like we have given up the fight. The players, and later the crowd seemed to have that apathetic, resigned to elegation feel about them I know Spuds were far better than us in all departments.

I've not seen a match end like that since Coventry, years ago.

Lost four one and the usual suspects couldn't even be bothered boo-ing.

Still think we're in with a chance though.

I was disgusted how many people left early last night. There were people going at 1 - 3. If and I know it was a big 'if' we'd have got the next goal then it's game on again.

When we were on top and all sides of the ground were singing you could see the players react to it. It must have a similar effect when they see people leaving too. I know it shoudn't but it might.

I can only assume it's these people that will not bother coming if we go down. Wasn't quite as bad as the Coventry game when there were around 50 of us left in the ground at full time but it wasn't far off.

• Moderators

anyway

4-4-2 against that lot

c'mon owen, it aint funny any more

and no, i don't know who to put in midfield either, but i'm not the one who built the squad

we've still enough to stay up

• Moderators

oh aye, i reckon nrc is our best player

miles in front of most of them

he was shagged from kick off

by the time he scored he was out on his feet and should have come off

but i can see why coyle resisted

it backfired

it happens

anyway

4-4-2 against that lot

c'mon owen, it aint funny any more

and no, i don't know who to put in midfield either, but i'm not the one who built the squad

we've still enough to stay up

I too thought we should have thrown an extra body in midfield last night and would have been delighted with a point. Fed up with this shit or bust approach.

Vela is raw but even he in a 5 would have given us more protection. Mark Davies proved again he isn't disciplined enough to track runners.

Shows where we are as a team when an 18 year old came on the pitch and showed more effort and desire than most of his teammates, well done Josh Vela

Klasnic is pointless, waste of a sub

The signing of Sordell baffles me more and more every game

Its all rather depressing, with the lack of organisation and discipline in keeping a decent shape highlighted once again

Its 11 players seemingly doing their own thing every week

3 pussies in midfield and Reo Coker, who is our only hope in trying to keep it together

For once I totally agree with you.

Young Josh was a breath of fresh air with his movment and disire. Ooo and that cross field ball to the feet of Petrov was sublime.

I stayed to the final whistle last night .............. only because I went on the bus and no point waiting outside. It got depressing watching our players stagger around trying to get the ball back - then promptly giving it away again.

Outclassed by a good Spurs side in the end. Then again, we used to stand up pretty well to teams like this at the Reebok. Nowadays it all disintegrates in a flash.

Our full-backs were skinned time & again; caught attacking and leaving masses of space behind them too often as well. Shouldn't be surprised - they've done that against lesser teams and been found wanting this season. The midfield was weak, as we knew it would be with only Mark Davies & NRC; not many options there though.

Too many players were struggling to keep moving as soon as Spurs 2nd goal went in. They're just not fit enough for this level.

It was in our hands before last night. Now it's in the hands of QPR & Stoke. And we still need to get at least one more point. It's grim, even knowing than anything can happen in the last 2 games.

4 wins from 18 home games, including several thumpings. That tells its own story.

No excuses for playing 4-4-2 against a side as good as Spurs. 3 of the midfield can only attack, leaving the defence and especially our full backs far too exposed against 2 of the best and quickest wingers in the league. Top that off with the inability of our midfield to track runners, you'd expect the likes of Van der Vaart and Modric to have an absolute field day.

Although he's young, Vela has shown plenty of desire, movement and enough ability so far to throw him into the centre to sure things up. The game has simply passed Davies by too often and Vela behind him would have helped.

Only read a few threads but agree with many that Spurs were just too good for us.

The worrying thing, although it's nowt new, is that our midfield seems unable to be competitive enough to unsettle teams. We can't tackle basically. Was a bit surprised by 4 4 2 but maybe playing Vela from the start would have been unwise? Not gonna slate Coyle for that given circumstances.

Goal was well worked and had we made the most of our chances we might have got something - straw clutching I know!

Also, has anyone seen one of our wingers actually go past a full back or even attempt to this season? (tbf they have at times but last night it really frustrated me how they kept turning back) Felt that they were scared to leave gaps but we needed to put more pressure on them first half.

Really felt like a nail in the coffin last night.

We can beat West Brom and nick something at Stoke so all is not lost but it's a toss of a coin for me now, it's that close.

Edited by madthatter

I too thought we should have thrown an extra body in midfield last night and would have been delighted with a point. Fed up with this shit or bust approach.

Vela is raw but even he in a 5 would have given us more protection. Mark Davies proved again he isn't disciplined enough to track runners.

27 defeats in last 41 league games , tells its own story. More shit obviously. The Holden-Muamba super partnership in 442 , doesn't work when you have very average replacements.

Dunno where to start with this one to be honest

First 25 mins we could't pass - the ball was like a potato - everyone hid and nobody really gambled moving forward - frankly, we looked scared; it did help though oddly as we were less open than say the 2nd half when we pushed on.

Spurs were frightening last night; we used to play them at home and say, yeah you are more skillful than me, but I'm bigger and quicker and harder than you; but last night in every department they were bigger, stronger, faster, had more guile etc.......that gulf in money spent and therefore class was really evident; only akin to me the Liverpool at home and Citeh away games this season from memory. It's harder to "bully" players these days as they're all athletes - Petrov would run up to Walker and think, I can't dink it around you, won't beat you for pace; so I'll turn back and put the full back in shit with the ball and no options; who in turn hoofs it or goes back to the keeper much to the derision of the home crowd

2nd half we all know what happened - we pushed on; and until their 2nd I enjoyed a home game more than I had all season; but they picked us apart and their 3rd goal especially was beautiful in it's simplicity, decision making and execution. In comparison, yes we labour and toil moving it forwards.

Whilst I like our centre mids individually they got tatered last night NRC included; though I'm certainly not having a pop at him.

Ngog was poor distribution wise (the goal excepted) and he seems to bring in our midfielders better generally when he's up top alone as the other defensive midfielders seem to give the one playing off him and 2 wide men more licence to push on - with SKD there (who won't make runs "off him" we have 2 strikers that do similar things and make similar runs) we were easy to pick off; I do think Ngog held it up well but then often was lost in a sea of black shirts.

I have no confidence in Wheater and Ream together - either/or, but not both. Nowt we can do now but for me if we stay up we still need another centre half; they're at 6's and 7's constantly and only the odd last gasp tackle stops us conceding even more

I sat next to some odd'uns calling NRC "Okey Cokey" and Ngog "Goggy".....no fucking wonder we sound simple!

On the upside I still think we can/will stay up - we've done it before and we will again; QPR will still not have that experience and/or mentality and they seem to be a bunch of individual prima donna's (Derry and Hill apart maybe); I don't see them having the backbone for it

I have no idea what team to play against West Brom but if we communicate and battle and play as a team; whatever formation and personnel we use, we will be reet (I hope)

What hurt so much last night was that we had equalised and were so on top, corner after corner, attack after attack, Spurs then score 2 quick goals and that feeling of survival and we'e gonna win this turns to out of our hands and the dreaded thoughts of the drop.

From enjoyment and loving the performance and knowing a point puts us in command of ourown fate to sheer deflation and just wondering how is that possible after the way we were playing.

Edited by Didledee

oh aye, i reckon nrc is our best player

miles in front of most of them

he was shagged from kick off

by the time he scored he was out on his feet and should have come off

but i can see why coyle resisted

it backfired

it happens

he looked like he pulled a hamstring and went over to the bench to be replaced but the bench did fuckall foe 10/15 mins

your definition of the word contradict must be different than mine.

My point is Sordell was clearly signed for his potential. If Coyle thinks he's not ready then i'll trust his judgement.

Just think it's a little desperate for people to be calling fr Sordell when most people don't know anything about him.

If he had no intention of playin him, why not loan him back to watford and finish the campaign there? Atleast its competitive football, unless the plan is to let him deteriorate into shitness so that he either a) fits in or B) takes pressure off and focus away from someone else who is under performing.

With 10 mins to go last night, it couldn't have hurt to let him have a run at them

I have no idea what team to play against West Brom but if we communicate and battle and play as a team; whatever formation and personnel we use, we will be reet (I hope)

Good analysis, Jules.

But therein lies the problem as far as we've seen this season : OC can't seem to get them to communicate & play as a team.

• Site Supporter

I'll be honest I was dreading coming on here I thought an irrational analysis of the game and our current situation would have flooded the thread, but its been pretty balanced. MY thoughts;

- In the main we were out classed by a better team

-we had a decent 20mins and had we got a goal we could have had a thriller

- there is no lack of effort, if anything they are pushing themselves to the limit

- we didn't surrender to spurs and give up the fight like blackburn did

-we still have a chance to stay up

COYFWM

Lets put this in perspective.

They are a quality side. We were lucky to go in at half time 1 down.

Brilliant spell when we scored and 3 good corners and a shot from Eagles.

Got ripped time after time down the wings, Lennon and Bale are fast as f**k.

But hey, just had a reality check and win on sunday and I think we can do this !!

I'll be honest I was dreading coming on here I thought an irrational analysis of the game and our current situation would have flooded the thread, but its been pretty balanced. MY thoughts;

- In the main we were out classed by a better team

-we had a decent 20mins and had we got a goal we could have had a thriller

- there is no lack of effort, if anything they are pushing themselves to the limit

- we didn't surrender to spurs and give up the fight like blackburn did

-we still have a chance to stay up

COYFWM

Spot on , i was listened to Ian Dowie on SSN and he was more or less saying the same thing as well .

COYWM