Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V France

miamiwhite

He was our solitary poor performer imo.

i thought he was poor as well. ive not seen much of Joe Hart before. Does he always fumble as many shots as that??? he didnt fill me with confidence.

Felt we stuck to the plan well, if we can get the fundamentals right in the next game, we could be a decent force when Rooney is back.

Thought England were better than i anticipated, midfield just got too deep in a couple of 10 mins spells at the end of each half. To be honest that was the first England "performance" in a major final since 2004! Just wish that Roy would have organised us from 2000 onwards as basically as far i can see the golden generation were just told to go out there and play!

The other thing under the radar it wuz 90+ in that stadiun today, hottest contest to date and we did ok and looked fitter than in the past.

Edited by bgoefc

The other thing under the radar it wuz 90+ in that stadiun today, hottest contest to date and we did ok and looked fitter than in the past.

You could see that the last 40 minutes were like a training ground match with no real urgency about it. I think we both knew the other would be happy with a draw and both wanted to keep summat int tank for Friday.

#itsafix

Apart from that one moment in the first half when France broke and Ribery was in acres, I thought Glen Johnson did quite well. Better than what I thought he would do anyway. That said, I still wouldn't want to see both him and Walcott on the right side. We would be very vulnerable. Unless Kelly plays at some point, I can't see Walcott featuring much. Maybe if we're a goal down with 20 minutes to go he might be thrown on.

Apart from that one moment in the first half when France broke and Ribery was in acres, I thought Glen Johnson did quite well. Better than what I thought he would do anyway. That said, I still wouldn't want to see both him and Walcott on the right side. We would be very vulnerable. Unless Kelly plays at some point, I can't see Walcott featuring much. Maybe if we're a goal down with 20 minutes to go he might be thrown on.

I will hold my hand up and thought after an early shaky start GJ was far from our worse player. and i have been his biggest critic. I thought that parkers distribution was wank at times but as far as critital about england that was about it.

If we get Italy or Spain in the next round, we'll be seeing even more players behind the ball and retreating/ allowing them to pass in front of us, from what I saw in the Italy/Spain game, they have it in them to break down our resistance.

We can't attack Spain, but neither can we play like we did today, we defended well, but in knockout football, you need goals and we only created one chance other than the goal, when Milner should have scored after rounding the keeper.

There was too much ball play in our half and our counter attacks were limited because Young and Welbeck had to chase or hold the ball up waiting for support. There was massive gaps when we had the ball, if Oxlade had the ball on the left we'd have just Young, Welbeck and the overlapping A.Cole for options, when France had the ball, they had almost all off the front 6 in our half, whilst we allowed them to play the ball around, no pressure, just containment and it really wasn't easy on the eye, I'd like us to be more adventurous.

• Members

If we get Italy or Spain in the next round, we'll be seeing even more players behind the ball and retreating/ allowing them to pass in front of us, from what I saw in the Italy/Spain game, they have it in them to break down our resistance.

We can't attack Spain, but neither can we play like we did today, we defended well, but in knockout football, you need goals and we only created one chance other than the goal, when Milner should have scored after rounding the keeper.

There was too much ball play in our half and our counter attacks were limited because Young and Welbeck had to chase or hold the ball up waiting for support. There was massive gaps when we had the ball, if Oxlade had the ball on the left we'd have just Young, Welbeck and the overlapping A.Cole for options, when France had the ball, they had almost all off the front 6 in our half, whilst we allowed them to play the ball around, no pressure, just containment and it really wasn't easy on the eye, I'd like us to be more adventurous.

I'd like you to restrict your comments to the nation you are supporting.

i think the suns front page today is a fucking joke....

obviously written by a moron with no grasp of tournament football whatsoever.

not arsed about a diddle-fucking-dee style examination of the game,but that to me was a decent point against a more than decent team,and a great start to the tournament.

though hogson set his team up perfectly to give them no space and we ground out a decent draw,in which we would of all taken beforehand.

fucking arry arse lickin sun wankers.

Guest Frandsen08

what did it say gonz?

it was a good point against a decent side, i don't think Ukraine or Sweden will cause us too many problems if we set up like we did against France, be patience and take our chances. Rooney coming back might come back at the right time

I'm fooking sick of hearing folk whingeing about us playing "negative".

Is that because our previously attacking brand of football has been so succesful for the last 40odd years?

Maybe, just maybe, Roy thinks our best chance of success is to play a system that is most suited to get the best out of our players.

kinell mate, i went on that and saw Jodie Schwarzenegger marsh!

I see Ian wright is saying it was a negative approach. i hate journalists.

yes ian you are correct....

what we should of done is go all out attack and bear no thought whatsoever of ribery,benzema and nasri.

we may have won 6-5.

edit...forgot to mention your son is a thief and the other a midget.

Edited by gonzo

We can't attack Spain

Why can't we? - if we have Young, Rooney and Oxlade-Chamberlain running at them, I don't see why we couldn't get through their defence..........granted, I think we might struggle to contain their forward line, but to say we can't attack Spain is madness. If that;s the case, we may as well just get on the plane home now

• Moderators

on talkshite about 3 weeks back, and this was supposed to be a + for sir harry and a - for hodgson

redknapp would have us playing attractrive football, while hodgson will have us playing to our strengths

good fcuking lord

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.