Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton In Europe

bolty58

• Members

For some reason been contemplating this today.

Already down in BWFC folklore and the ones of you who have the 'full set', I salute you. I suspect in another decade or so, such a fan history will be highly revered - almost as much as the 57,000 of us who attended that lower division match some years ago.

With distance and expense in mind, I was only ever going to manage a couple (Skopje and Madrid). Hindsight is  a great thing and, knowing what I know now, would probably have chosen Istanbul and Guimaraes. Having said that, Skopje was special so no complaints.

Will we ever be part of such times again?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason been contemplating this today.

Already down in BWFC folklore and the ones of you who have the 'full set', I salute you. I suspect in another decade or so, such a fan history will be highly revered - almost as much as the 57,000 of us who attended that lower division match some years ago.

With distance and expense in mind, I was only ever going to manage a couple (Skopje and Madrid). Hindsight is a great thing and, knowing what I know now, would probably have chosen Istanbul and Guimaraes. Having said that, Skopje was special so no complaints.

Will we ever be part of such times again?

Going to be difficult but not impossible, we can make it by getting to a final, fair play or league performance, need to get promoted and rebuild from there first but definitely not out of our capabilities.

Only missed 1 of the away games (Istanbul) as i was away with the family and i know where i would've rather been, gutted i'm not an 100%er

Those away days can never ever be taken away from me and if we never do it again i will die a very happy man having gone to places with my mates following the team i love that some folk can only ever dream of and i see myself very lucky to have been a part of it

A great regret of mine is missing a couple of those matches. There's no point me kidding myself that I could have done the lot it just wouldnt have been possible at that age and time in my life (wasnt going to be able to afford some of those first aways on a Blockbuster Video wage!), but if given the chance again Id have done many more than Munich and Madrid.

Should have gone to Lisbon, should have gone to Belgrade.

Should have gone to Marseille. Really, really wish I'd have gone to Bourgas and Istanbul.

Cant say we'll never get there again though - anything can happen.

• Moderators

Sunny Beach, arrived late Weds as we flew to Varna. Stopped off at a roadside cafe, drove off leaving Zico, the look on his face as he chased the bus...

The driver "no smoking!!!" over the PA every 2 minutes.

Got to our 5* hotel on the corner opposite Corner Bar. Immediately bumped into Danny from the Cattle and AM from MG, both absolutely fucking hammered.

Hunted out the Happy Duck, ordered a round, handed over about a tenner and got about 8 quid back.

Ended up on vodka in a BOGOF bar with that fat Forest fan then Corner Bar itself with Smiley asleep right next to a fucking massive speaker.

Finally ended up at 5am just me and Traf left drinking at a stall on the square.

Rough at fuck the next day, no fucker could get a taxi then someone magiced up a coach from a bar for about £3 each and they supplied the beer!

Didn't eat anything until we got back to Gatwick. I wonder if the daft fucker at the airport who'd booked the wrong flights ever got home?

Did all the trips except for Istanbul.

All the trips were different but great in their own way.

My favourite was Munich 3 Days on the lash with my 2 lads and his mate.........even the match was good, but Plovdiv at the Naftex Stadium was special when - Nobby scored.

Hope we can do it again in my lifetime.

• Moderators

Arrived at Sofia for the Rabotnicki game (via Prague), all aboard the funbus Traf had sorted. Except Sloane Street Massive who walked round the car park whilst the whole bus was watching him, tears streaming down faces.

Those fucking beachballs at Besiktas that were covered in (Smiley's) sick, when you batted them, you got a face full of it.

Arriving in a cafe in Guimaraes and ordering a 5 course steak meal whilst some window lickers from Breightmet had been living off crisp.

Foaming up the fountains in Marseille and Brixton's nephew getting nicked.

Arriving in Belgrade, Widnes was stuck in the lift and Henry XIII's mate's room had a bog that wasn't plumbed in and was upside down. Slavia Lux!

Happy days.

Its a shame some of those photos are unavailable now in the archived European Tour section. I have a look on there now and again, long before my time on this forum but its interesting to see some of the topics and stories on there - long before any relegations and cup semi humiliations

Did Munich and Madrid, really wish I could've afforded more trips. I especially regret missing out on Plovdiv and Guimaraes, but wouldn't have swapped the two I went to for any others. To get a result against two massive clubs like that is what being a Bolton fan is all about. Going through all the lows just to experience highs like that make it more than worthwhile.

Looking across our section at the Allianz and see 4,000 whites singing was a sight to behold. Thought I was tripping out seeing Riccy put us 1-0 up at Bayern, with his right foot FFS. :D He'd not scored for a good five years til then either. Our starting line up included Braaten and Cid too IIRC. Davo of all people drawing us level so late was magical.

I love Munich in general, can't wait to go back for a few days when I get something sorted.

TIL NEXT TIME

CAPSLOCK COLIN

I could not make munich. I have never ever been more proud to be a wanderer than listening to our following in full voice on tele that night. It was an incredible moment. I was incredibly jealous.

There is a video on youtube with us singing 'by far the greatest team' etc and it gives me goose bumps everytime without fail.

Driving to Edinburgh to fly to somewhere in France to then travel by train for 5 hours to get to Marseilles 2 hours before kick off to save about 50p....

Spending the first half in Guimares under the stand in a first aid room with Pete watching his eye get stitched after being twatted by one our own,i then got tear gassed directly in my face after we scored...

Biting a locals arm to stop him strangling me in Munich...

Watching a guy dangle from the happy ducks rafters bollock naked signing ten German bombers at 2am in Plovdiv

Watching my mate Pete get picked up by his face by a giant haystacks size ultra near the infamous park.

Finding a techno club in Guimares with randy west off here who then proceeded to be sick all over a speaker,fall on his arse then stood up and walked out without a word.

Bumping into Bolton fan after Bolton who had 'gone for a piss' down that dirt track near the happy duck and had their wallet nicked by a prostitute wearing a kappa trackie top!

Great times...how the fuck I afforded them all is beyond me....

Well no it's not actually ...thanks dad! ????

Sunny Beach, arrived late Weds as we flew to Varna. Stopped off at a roadside cafe, drove off leaving Zico, the look on his face as he chased the bus...

The driver "no smoking!!!" over the PA every 2 minutes.

Got to our 5* hotel on the corner opposite Corner Bar. Immediately bumped into Danny from the Cattle and AM from MG, both absolutely fucking hammered.

Hunted out the Happy Duck, ordered a round, handed over about a tenner and got about 8 quid back.

Ended up on vodka in a BOGOF bar with that fat Forest fan then Corner Bar itself with Smiley asleep right next to a fucking massive speaker.

Finally ended up at 5am just me and Traf left drinking at a stall on the square.

Rough at fuck the next day, no fucker could get a taxi then someone magiced up a coach from a bar for about £3 each and they supplied the beer!

Didn't eat anything until we got back to Gatwick. I wonder if the daft fucker at the airport who'd booked the wrong flights ever got home?

Happy days indeed, mate.

It was me who rustled up that coach in Bulgaria, in addition to the ones I got in Nimes for Marseille and the infamous Macedonia crossing!