Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Frankie Worthy

white noise

Leigh White and myself yesterday were discussing the side of the late 70's. Franky Worthy,Thommo,Peter Reid,Willie Morgan,Paul Jones,Greavo................what a team to be blessed with to be brought up watching

So many wonderful memories watching the Wanderers in the late 70s/early 80s...The Franky Worthy/Alan Gowling/Neil Whatmore strike force scored goals for fun     

Oh happy days

Catching the 59 bus at hindley @1.20pm getting into moor lane @1.50 then walking past the railway station down to manny road then down to burnden oh happy days

Frankie worthys debut against stoke in the embankment now that was very lively bricks bottles and coins where flying over the segregation does anyone remember

Blackburn away that wednesday night that still stands to me as the best ever match watching the wanderers the occasion, the night, and the fans,out of this world.20k plus wanderers fans and frankie worthy scoring the goal. the only game that came close was hull away on that friday night

Frankie not doing too well these days......what a lot of folk tend to forget was not only did his goal send us up....it also relegated the six fingered ones....remember watching Granada Reports the night after he battered the red shite...Bob Greaves was made to sing..."There's only one Franky Worthy" .....brilliant days !!

I honestly think technically he was the best British player I have ever seen, he could also look after himself and to say he knew where the net was is an understatement his playboy antics were the reason he did not get a massive move to Liverpool and he would have been a legend there and would have played 50 games plus for England. He was my hero as a kid did my utmost to copy his playing style and failed miserably, I continued to look out for him after he left BWFC and he played until he was 40 and gave VFM everywhere he went. I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times at sports and dinners and a friendlier bloke you could not meet. I should be too old for heroes but Frank is still my heroe today and when he came onto the Reebok pitch recently I found my self bowing to him.

Frankie not doing too well these days......what a lot of folk tend to forget was not only did his goal send us up....it also relegated the six fingered ones....remember watching Granada Reports the night after he battered the red shite...Bob Greaves was made to sing..."There's only one Franky Worthy" .....brilliant days !!

Nah ... it was Blackpool who went down that season, not Blackburn.

Oh happy days

Catching the 59 bus at hindley @1.20pm getting into moor lane @1.50 then walking past the railway station down to manny road then down to burnden oh happy days

Frankie worthys debut against stoke in the embankment now that was very lively bricks bottles and coins where flying over the segregation does anyone remember

Sounds familliar.   Did the same journey many many times.

The Friday night we beat the red shite 3-0 it was electric in the Stags Head, Daubhill.

Playing YMCA over and over again the place was rocking to Frankie do do do do do do, I say Frankie, do do do do do do, Frankie, do do do do do do, Frank Worth ing ton's magic

Thinking about it that song would work for Jermaine Beckford.

Happy Birthday Frankie; probably our most stylist player we have ever had

A forward signed from a Midlands club whose goals got us promoted to the top division and then helped to keep us up there the following season. Scored in a memorable win at Old Trafford but left the club in not the best of circumstances after a little more than 2 seasons.

Frank Worthington, Michael Ricketts, or both?

I remember him turning up at the player's entrance at Burnden once in spangly jacket, jeans, cowboy boots and a stetson. I was amazed that he was prepared to drop down a division to join us when he'd been winning caps for England a couple of years earlier. I don't think he would have if it weren't for his former manager Ian Greaves persuading him we wouldn't be in the Second Division for long. He was top scorer in that first season back in the First Division as well. He got a great reception when he came back to Burnden... even though he was player manager of Tranmere.

I honestly think technically he was the best British player I have ever seen, he could also look after himself and to say he knew where the net was is an understatement his playboy antics were the reason he did not get a massive move to Liverpool and he would have been a legend there and would have played 50 games plus for England. He was my hero as a kid did my utmost to copy his playing style and failed miserably, I continued to look out for him after he left BWFC and he played until he was 40 and gave VFM everywhere he went. I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times at sports and dinners and a friendlier bloke you could not meet. I should be too old for heroes but Frank is still my heroe today and when he came onto the Reebok pitch recently I found my self bowing to him.

Said everything I'd have said, as a football mad teenager he was was a hero, somebody who could see and do things others couldn't. We had a great team then but he was the big reason we walked down Bradford Rd and Weston St on a Saturday afternoon all those years ago