Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England 1 Italy 2

DazBob

Having watched the game again, its not so much the players that were bad but implementing the right tactics for this formation was wrong.

2 "holding midfielder" that should have closed the gap between defence at midfield and provided cover at both wide area's did none of this, they were awfull at their primary job.

Striker playing as a winger, is fine going forward but provide no cover at all when Italy attack us.

Cahill was lost a bit for the winning goal and Baines should have done better with the cross, but he had 2 men....nobody helped track the 2 players attacking him. I blame the support or lack of from the supposed 2 anchor men, and wide players......but then thats is what you get whan you the formaton you actualy played was 4-2-4!!

Edited by Pablo

Having watched the game again, its not so much the players that were bad but implementing the right tactics for this formation was wrong.

2 "holding midfielder" that should have closed the gap between defence at midfield and provided cover at both wide area's did none of this, they we awfull at their primary job.

Strikers playing as winger, fine going forward but provide no cover at all when Italy attack us.

Cahill was lost a bit for the winning goal and Baines should have done better with the cross, but he had 2 men....nobody helped track the 2 players attacking him. I blame the support or lack of from the supposed 2 anchor men, and wide players.

Spot on pabbers

don't forget all our attacking players bar welbeck not retaining the ball

It's all about big game players coming up big game performances and moments of magic to turn a game.

We haven't got that man. It's meant to be Rooney but for reasons I doubt we will ever know he continually fails to come with the goods.

Our Sqaud on paper is as good as anyone else's,and we can match teams like Italy all day long,we just haven't got that man that can turn a game.

Argentina have messi,Holland have Robben,Italy have Pirlo etc etc.

We have nobody....yet.

Maybe Stirling and Barkley will step up to the plate either in this World Cup or the Euros,only time will tell.

Until we find that man we will always struggle against the big boys.

It's all about big game players coming up big game performances and moments of magic to turn a game.

We haven't got that man. It's meant to be Rooney but for reasons I doubt we will ever know he continually fails to come with the goods.

Our Sqaud on paper is as good as anyone else's,and we can match teams like Italy all day long,we just haven't got that man that can turn a game.

We have nobody....yet.

Maybe Stirling and Barkley will step up to the plate either in this World Cup or the Euros,only time will tell.

Its Gerrard....dont you know. He is world class.

Well, he hits the ball harder than anyone, and can make a cross-field pass while he has 3 options within 10 / 15 yards of him!!!!

If anyone watches it again, watch Henderson in the 2nd half.....i kid you not, he will not pass to Ross Barkley....the amount of times he was free !!!!

Edited by Pablo

Shearer saying before the game that Gerrard should play like Pirlo ha! Never going to happen.

Pirlo has mastered the simpler part of the game, and made it his art-form. Keeping the ball, simple passes, saving energy, and in time opening teams up.

Gerrard will rather hit a 50 yard pass, to make himself look good, rather than pass it 5 or 10 yards to keep the ball. Simple probability tells you we are more likely to lose that ball his way.

• Moderators

We have nobody....yet.

that's been the case for some time - Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Scholes - they all did it at club level and led/helped their teams to success - but on the international stage, always seemed to fall short at tournaments

Rooney peaked few years back when he bagged 30+ for Utd

dunno where the next one is coming from, though I think it's the best squad since 2006

Must agree there Pabbers, problem is who would fulfil the role if not Gerrard? He is, like Beckham, an urban myth...for every 50 yard pinpoint pass there are at least half a dozen that needlessly waste possession.

Beckham is a God on here

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.