Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Town Centre... Wtf ?

YTARMY

Aye, they come over here murdering our pigeons, bastards.

As for the Sweet Green, great pub but warm overpriced ale.

That day missus and me bought a day saver, visited 5 different towns and I can say most of the good beer guide pubs served a warm pint. A lot call wetherspoons but their ale was always served cool and at sensible prices.

As for those poor Pigeons, I'm speechless.

Do H-Towners class Bolton town centre as their town centre? Just out of interest..?

Personally, for bits and bobs going 'down the lane" was and still is H town centre and Bolton used to be the big shop, clothes, shoes and such. Now it's the Middlebrook I suppose or Manchester. Middlebrook is convenient but I'd probably still go into Bolton if it wasn't so grim

I'm not entirely convinced that it's as grim as people make out. Yes the stretch of shops from the Town Hall to Gt Moor Street aren't exactly high end retail, but that says more about the country as a whole than it does about Bolton.

You've still got lots of big national chains and some small independents and the centre doesn't look decrepit.

The market isn't as good as Bury's, but it's still decent. 

I like Town, its ours. Some of the people look like scum, but thats a National problem.

Le Mans area has some of the nicest buildings around, yes some need sorting after years of neglect, but again thats a problem in the whole country.

Howrich is mah, That 1 street of Cafe's and charity shops is no better than Newport street.

Market Place was a mistake with what they did, but you can see what they tried.

The Uni is decent, to have Uni at all is some acheivement.

I like Bolton.

• Members

Well said Pabbers.

Admittedly, there are plenty of parts of the town centre that are fucked and probably won't ever recover.  I've said it before, the 'town centre' is just far too big - from Ritzy all the way over to the train station is fucking huge.  Some parts just need bulldozing and put down some trees or something.  I'm thinking of Bank Street and between Chester Moonshines and Wayne Walker.

As for the rest of it, I don't think it's half as bad as is made out by some.

• Site Supporter

The Uni is decent, to have Uni at all is some acheivement.

That Uni is one of the worst in the country.

I had to get my eldest some trainers the other week and going into the town centre wasn't concidered.

That's largely due to the standard of intake, surprisingly Bolton isn't high on the list of UCAS applicants' preferred choices, no idea why...

There used to be two admissions, one in September and one in February, this meant Bolton would often minesweep those from other establishments who'd managed to f*ck up by Christmas first year.

There's a good tradition of mature students from the area attending Bolton, and the faculty is small enough to provide support one-to-one, if this body of students attended say, Salford, a good proportion would likely sink without trace.

I'd rather have a lowly ranked University than none at all, if folk attend from other parts of the UK and beyond, who then choose to settle here after graduation that can only be a good thing, surely?

Not particularly aimed at you Barry, but a good number of the knockers of Bolton University do so purely on the basis of it's position in the rankings, which doesn't paint the whole picture.

There's plenty to knock the University on, don't get me wrong, but it should be done informedly and constructively, not just a vague grumbling of ''It's shite - it comes 121 out of a list of X...so it must be shite, even The University of West Merthyr Tydfil is better!''

That's largely due to the standard of intake, surprisingly Bolton isn't high on the list of UCAS applicants' preferred choices, no idea why...

because it's on the edge of the world's shittest town centre, obviously.

This (Swanny's post) is a good example of a Bolton Uni success story, it does provide a good number with a second chance and they go on to grasp this with both hands and do well.

Unfortunately there's a second lot, who just use the Uni to elongate their study/dossing after performing poorly at A Level or after f*cking up at other establishments, they then drag the whole University down on a grade level and for drop-out rates on individual modules basis and as a whole.

Edited by Youri McAnespie