Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Think it’s shite personally but our shite 

I've no issue with it, but I only visit very occasionally. It really does depend on who you're with.

Thankfully, I've had a good night each time I've been of late.

20 hours ago, Traf said:

Didn't think there'd be much demand for rented bonsai.

Used to do some IT work for a company that hired out pot plants and such (including bonsai) to offices.

One place in Warrington was paying £4k a month on foliage rental, to brighten the office up. (they did pop in daily, monday tofriday, to water them,included in the price)

was my first real experience of companies spending unnecessary money on image.

On 20/06/2022 at 22:05, boogs said:

Used to be a guy in there that took his owl in with him. Sit on the bar or back of his chair. Used to scare the shit out of me when it turned and looked at you. 

Brilliant! You just dont see stuff like that anymore! 

• Site Supporter
On 21/06/2022 at 16:28, Whitestar said:

My sister used to to work in a little plant hire place along there, bet that has long gone?

On 21/06/2022 at 16:33, Traf said:

Didn't think there'd be much demand for rented bonsai.

There is actually a plant hire company at the Kessler end of Long Causeway in Farnworth. Like real plants… for hire.

You want a palm tree in your office? Hire one in.

18 minutes ago, MickyD said:

There is actually a plant hire company at the Kessler end of Long Causeway in Farnworth. Like real plants… for hire.

You want a palm tree in your office? Hire one in.

Yeah, I know there used to be on there, is it still?

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

All the landlords that are getting no rents from these buildings- why do they not just reduce them?

Unsure on that point but I understand Bolton council makes a lot more in rates on empty units as the policy is similar to empty housing where it doubles.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, tomski said:

Unsure on that point but I understand Bolton council makes a lot more in rates on empty units as the policy is similar to empty housing where it doubles.

That sounds weird!

Wonder if it's a means of compensating from a lack of business rates if they're empty?

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That sounds weird!

Wonder if it's a means of compensating from a lack of business rates if they're empty?

It’s a punishment to make sure the buildings are filled but weirdly If they are not it suits em better.

• Site Supporter
On 22/06/2022 at 16:44, Duck Egg said:

Brilliant! You just dont see stuff like that anymore! 

On 20/06/2022 at 22:05, boogs said:

Used to be a guy in there that took his owl in with him. Sit on the bar or back of his chair. Used to scare the shit out of me when it turned and looked at you. 

A bloke came into the Griffin one time with afour foot totem pole that looked like an Indian (the native American type, not the shopkeeper). Apparently the week before he had been in with an A frame advert for the Evening News.

19 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The Ironman weekend is one of my favourite weekends of the year.

It's a great boost for the town (and the town centre itself).

It’s an absolute fucker when they’re making an absolute racket at 5am on a Sunday morning for the swimming at Pennington Flash. I’m less than a mile away as the crow flies but they must get the sound system from Glastonbury. Forgot about it the other year, was a few days after the Brexit vote and was woken at daft o’clock by the national anthem. Surreal as fuck thinking it was some weird political rally. 

• 3 weeks later...

nipped in yesterday 

wanted something from the  Pandora shop

fuck me how is that Market place shopping center still open 

loads of empty shops and no fucker there 

had a walk up to the town hall Square 

if they make a another Zombie Apocalypse bolton is the place 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, little whitt said:

nipped in yesterday 

wanted something from the  Pandora shop

fuck me how is that Market place shopping center still open 

loads of empty shops and no fucker there 

had a walk up to the town hall Square 

if they make a another Zombie Apocalypse bolton is the place 

Just been in now for an appointment. 
fuck me the market place used to be the place they’d point to when saying about the other parts of town boarded up now it’s like an inside version of the rest of it. 

not been for a while and was surprised, but suppose that’s part of the problem and cycle, loads don’t go in for a while, something else shuts because no one goes in, someone goes in, sees that it’s shite and doesn’t go for a while again, so something else shuts because no one goes in because loads of things shut . 

33 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Debenhams closing was the final nail in the coffin for the Market place. 

A shame as well as it could be decent. Downstairs has been done up to a good standard but I’m not sure if the bars and restaurants are used much? I went to the cinema the other week to watch Top Gun, all the other local cinemas had sold out yet me and the missus were the only ones in the market place one.