Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leicester Fans . . .

madthatter

• Site Supporter

Wimbledons rise up the leagues to winning the FA cup takes some beating considering they have very few fans. Sure Leicester winning the league is a big achievement but they are from a big city capable of pulling the crowds in.

Forest winning back to back European cups for example

In the days when it was a proper contest

Spot on Sanchez, in those days, just one club represented each country and it was special.

Nowadays, it's just a heap and cess infested moneypit.

Anyway, I'm not jealous.....

• Moderators

Hard pressed to name a better one

Forest did theirs in the days when they'd have a pint at half time and not a patch on the level of atheletism nowadays

But they didn't do it on the cheap, rhyiad and vardy might have been bargains but the likes of okazaki and ullola were in the region of £8m

But let's take nowt away from them

Meaning they were shopping in the same region of Bournemouth who bought benik Afobe

Gone are the days 8m gets you Anelka.

Aye City spent £90 million on sterling and de bruyne.

Everton did £28 million on lukaku.

United spent £200 million on fuck knows.

• Moderators

Meaning they were shopping in the same region of Bournemouth who bought benik Afobe

Gone are the days 8m gets you Anelka.

No but they weren't cheap buys was my point, such is the money in the PL they can go and splash out on a prolific bundesliga striker

They are paying standard prices for players who are proving themselves at some level

And paying vardy 80k a week

I'm still going with forest winning back to back European cups

Is that the same forest team which included the first ever million pound player. I didn't think it counted if you spent any money?

They fucked fair play off, Leicester went into administration and magically re-emerged. I hope they both end up in League Two (with Bury and Wigan obvs).

I was looking at it purely from a footballing aspect. Is there any club out there with a clean financial record?

No but they weren't cheap buys was my point, such is the money in the PL they can go and splash out on a prolific bundesliga striker

They are paying standard prices for players who are proving themselves at some level

And paying vardy 80k a week

From now on every premier league team can pay the whole 25 man squad £80k a week and still have plenty of revenue left for extras

For me what they have done is nothing short of bonkers

Shows how far our 'big' teams have fallen though even with the riches on offer

Isn't their owner a billionaire? And imagine Vardy's salary increased during the season - not before? Can't see how he was worth £80k before this season got going. I thought he was a bit shit previously.

• Moderators

Isn't their owner a billionaire? And imagine Vardy's salary increased during the season - not before? Can't see how he was worth £80k before this season got going. I thought he was a bit shit previously.

Think he was on 40k before his rise after he did that record

Again, don't get me wrong, they do have some apparent bargains in their team from their championship days like Morgan, vardy and schmichel but they've spent a fair bit as well in the last few years, but not what you'd expect a title team to spend admittedly - was just being pedantic about calling them a team of cheap buys and journeymen as don't see it that way miself

In fact they've probably redefined what it means to buy the league and from here on in everyone who wins it has bought it (though most probably think that anyway)

But they are hardly a rag tag and Bob tail outfit like Wimbledon in the 80s/90s were with their signings since they got back in the PL

If I sound bitter or owt, I'm not, it's still fucking ace for football

• Moderators

I was looking at it purely from a footballing aspect. Is there any club out there with a clean financial record?

There are plenty that have never gone into administration, paid the debtors 1p in the £1.

Think he was on 40k before his rise after he did that record

Again, don't get me wrong, they do have some apparent bargains in their team from their championship days like Morgan, vardy and schmichel but they've spent a fair bit as well in the last few years, but not what you'd expect a title team to spend admittedly - was just being pedantic about calling them a team of cheap buys and journeymen as don't see it that way miself

In fact they've probably redefined what it means to buy the league and from here on in everyone who wins it has bought it (though most probably think that anyway)

But they are hardly a rag tag and Bob tail outfit like Wimbledon in the 80s/90s were with their signings since they got back in the PL

If I sound bitter or owt, I'm not, it's still fucking ace for football

They have spent about £50m in last two years, less than the big clubs spend on a single player.

They have bought very wisely. They were 5000/1 for a reason.

The bookies will be making a fortune from this, they will take shit loads on clubs at 5000/1 next season and they will all lose.

I think they took a massive points penalty the following season though.

We didn't pay our staff at times last season, we are not squeaky clean.

They were paid late, they were paid in full the same week though, weren't they?