Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Restaurant Recommendations

kent_white

On 02/03/2023 at 23:26, MickyD said:

Apparently it’s award winning. I think it’s won the Bolton News restaurant of the year a couple of times.

That's because they try to emotionally blackmail people into giving them 5 star trip advisor reviews while they are still at the table.

The curry is pretty average.

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

You already said you got rice and chips between you so if you ordered the rice and she ordered the chips with an agreement to share,  you kind of did. 

Chips in an Indian deserve to be shit.

You know as well as me that you just do as you're told.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nowack said:

I always find the anti chip snobbery amusing. Some bloke having a chicken tikka masala, rice and a peshwari naan doesn't think that fried potatoes somehow don't compliment a meat and spicy sauce dish.

It's not snobbery 

I went to India once and don't think I saw chips anywhere 

It's not what they do, so wouldn't expect decent chips in a curry house, and wouldn't go to one to try the chips 

Hands up if you've ever been to an Indian and ordered something off the English menu like omelette 

1 minute ago, Zico said:

It's not snobbery 

It's not what they do, so wouldn't expect decent chips in a curry house, and wouldn't go to one to try the chips 

Hands up if you've ever been to an Indian and ordered something off the English menu like omelette 

If you go to a restaurant and they have specific meals then fair enough but a English curry house selling anglicised meat,chicken or prawns with tikka masala, Rogan Josh, dupiaza or vindaloo then it's fair play to have some fried potatoes with it. Half those dishes are not what they do. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Nowack said:

If you go to a restaurant and they have specific meals then fair enough but a English curry house selling anglicised meat,chicken or prawns with tikka masala, Rogan Josh, dupiaza or vindaloo then it's fair play to have some fried potatoes with it. Half those dishes are not what they do. 

2 hours ago, Nowack said:

And you are more likely to get an omelette in India than a bowl of tikka masala. 

a curry is a curry, the concept of cooking one is the same regardless of if the flavour/recipe was one devised in asia or in britain by british asians, so they know what they are doing when making one

admit it though, you've eaten off the english menu in a curry house haven't you

21 minutes ago, Zico said:

a curry is a curry, the concept of cooking one is the same regardless of if the flavour/recipe was one devised in asia or in britain by british asians, so they know what they are doing when making one

admit it though, you've eaten off the english menu in a curry house haven't you

Are you honestly saying that you do not like chips with curry? Or is it the cultural appropriation you have an issue with. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Are you honestly saying that you do not like chips with curry? Or is it the cultural appropriation you have an issue with. 

nah, just messing really, I'd quite happily have chips and curry at home if it was a microwave curry and I whacked some chips in the oven, but not if making a point of going to eat in a curry house, it just doesn't seem right

i dont have chips when at a chinese restaurant, but like salt and pepper chips with a takeaway

in a similar vein if a curry house knocked up some sort of "curry chips" dish, I'd try it (at home)

10 minutes ago, Zico said:

nah, just messing really, I'd quite happily have chips and curry at home if it was a microwave curry and I whacked some chips in the oven, but not if making a point of going to eat in a curry house, it just doesn't seem right

i dont have chips when at a chinese restaurant, but like salt and pepper chips with a takeaway

in a similar vein if a curry house knocked up some sort of "curry chips" dish, I'd try it (at home)

I think if chips are on the sundries section next to rice and chapati it's fair game. I wouldn't have chips with everything but a dhansak with a chapati and chips is a personal favourite. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nowack said:

I think if chips are on the sundries section next to rice and chapati it's fair game. I wouldn't have chips with everything but a dhansak with a chapati and chips is a personal favourite. 

you should let @Underpants know which curry houses do good chips then

12 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Shout out to Morecambe Tandoori last night. Even the chips were good 😊 

Little place on the front down the 'bottom end' of town?

Well done. It's proper hit and miss that place, either decent or shite or rarely in-between.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Little place on the front down the 'bottom end' of town?

Well done. It's proper hit and miss that place, either decent or shite or rarely in-between.

Yeah West End not far from the ground. Feared the worst when we went in and there was a huge group of pikeys dropping c bombs in front of their kids and singing that god awful Bolton get battered song but thankfully they fucked off before we’d even ordered our starters. 

12 hours ago, Zico said:

It's not snobbery 

Nope, but when I lived in manc a lad I know did and the waiter come and brought him a baby’s chair and it was great as he was fuming. Chicken and chips I think it was.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yeah West End not far from the ground. Feared the worst when we went in and there was a huge group of pikeys dropping c bombs in front of their kids and singing that god awful Bolton get battered song but thankfully they fucked off before we’d even ordered our starters. 

Yeah, pikey central that end. 

Rough as fuck, too, late on.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, globaldiver said:

This week;

Sams Chop House; an old friend, still got it. Not many diners though. Decent IPA; Shin Digger.

Heaton Garden Centre; Cheese and Onion Pie off the scale

Their corned beef hash is the daddy 

As are their steak and kidney puddings 

Like a tardis, looks like fuck all when it arrives but leaves you in a food coma