Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Quitting The Rat Race

Salford Trotter

Love stories like this. You've worked hard mate. Hope you now take the time to enjoy yourself. If my missus business kicks on as planned I'm looking at leaving my job in the next 2 years to follow my dream (not sure what that is yet but it's not what I do now) and I've only worked 18 years :(

• Site Supporter

Widers has a very valid point.

My neighbour finished early and soon got down etc. Didn't know what to do.

Get a plan and as you said volunteering.

Used to do work as a volunteer ranger at the trial irwell valley. Good people from a range of sectors all enjoying the outdoors. Built bridges, went in to collect fish when the lake was drained, all sorts.

Enjoy.

• Site Supporter

I'll be honest, I'm pinning all my hopes and dreams on Horwich being sat on enough fracking juice to buy me my own gold helicopter.

Otherwise, I'm working til the undertaker measures me.

• Site Supporter

Good on you Salford - stress must be one of the biggest contributors to a full grave yard in the country. If you can afford to retire and quite happy to give up the routine of work, then fair play to you.

I certainly don't intend in working into my 60's but I suppose anything can happen between now and then.

Enjoy it

I'll be honest, I'm pinning all my hopes and dreams on Horwich being sat on enough fracking juice to buy me my own gold helicopter.

Otherwise, I'm working til the undertaker measures me.

I'll look after you when my mobile wanking booth company finally takes off.

I quit my office job of 13 years to work for Bolton Wanderers Community Trust, now based in the Macron and go round to schools, prisons and youth clubs delivering football sessions and 1-to-1 youth work stuff. A lot less money, but best decision I ever made.

Best of luck.

I quit my office job of 13 years to work for Bolton Wanderers Community Trust, now based in the Macron and go round to schools, prisons and youth clubs delivering football sessions and 1-to-1 youth work stuff. A lot less money, but best decision I ever made.

Best of luck.

That must be so rewarding too...good stuff!

Best of luck.

Say hi to Katie B, poor lass always has looked like her dad.

As for going self employed, I did it 3 years ago and I'm glad I did.

Not as much money coming in but much better quality of life.

I'm with Spider. Working 'til I drop I reckon. I think our generation are just used to this being the way - can't see a time I'll ever not need to work. To be honest, as has been said, not sure what I'd do with myself - got to have a point to the day.

Be nice to have more free time though and not work evenings and weekends all the time.

Good luck ST! Sounds like you'll be fine. 

Good on you Salford - stress must be one of the biggest contributors to a full grave yard in the country. If you can afford to retire and quite happy to give up the routine of work, then fair play to you.

I certainly don't intend in working into my 60's but I suppose anything can happen between now and then.

Enjoy it

Not having a pop here but I just don't get that . . . 

I'd not look back or miss work once if I had the funds to support me, even in a modest way.

They say only boring people get bored ;) 

I'm 33 years old and still find it a chore getting out of bed.

I must press snooze about 38 times.

Aye.  I have commitments now and currently looking for a more permanent source of income; but in the past I've left several decent jobs, not just because of stress, but because there were things I wanted to do with my life.

I realise I will probably have to work beyond retirement age and accept that I could have a bigger house, a new car or set of clubs every year etc but I'm glad I did what I did.  

I'm sure when I'm 50 odd though and realise I have to keep hitting the snooze button I may sigh wistfully, but if I should perish in the meantime I'll have no regrets.

Edited by madthatter

• Site Supporter

Madhatter, my old man still comes into work and he's 70. Doesn't need the money but wants to keep his hand in. Worked hard to get to where he has so doesn't want to give it up completely.

I suppose if work is all you've known for 55 years, it might be hard for many people to give it up totally.

for myself, once I call it quits, that's it - I won't be going back to work. I friggin hate getting up at 5.30, especially in winter.

Each to their own

Madhatter, my old man still comes into work and he's 70. Doesn't need the money but wants to keep his hand in. Worked hard to get to where he has so doesn't want to give it up completely.

I suppose if work is all you've known for 55 years, it might be hard for many people to give it up totally.

for myself, once I call it quits, that's it - I won't be going back to work. I friggin hate getting up at 5.30, especially in winter.

Each to their own

Aye, definitely.  I've met a few old fellas like that - my Dad is similar.  Moaned like fook about work all his life, retired, said he was bored/skint and went freelancing for the company . . .

I said he was mentally challenged  :D