Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Arron Lennon

barryk32

Nothing better than spending quiet time in nature, I honestly feel it re-balances us - without getting too hippy :)

This!! Absolutely!! Work has been an absolute shitter this year so far with redundancy threats, 0% pay rise, no bonuses, etc, etc. Took Tuesday off and climbed Loughrigg Fell in The Lakes. Beautiful sunny day and views to die for. Loved it up at the top. Complete silence and nobody around. It's why I've always done a lot of walking and mountain biking to sometimes just get away from everybody and everything. Mrs Manc used to work for CityLink and found out one Xmas Day that they'd gone bust. The stress she suffered was unbelievable, coming out in hives, rashes, severe headaches, the lot. Got her to come cycling/walking with me. She's completely moved from "fuck walking boots, I'm buying Jimmy Choo's" to nagging the life out of me every week to go for a walk or bike ride. Even she's bought into the fact that being outside and with nature is really calming so I'm with you - it really does rebalance you

• Site Supporter

Was up loughrigg myself a few weeks back.

I was blowing out of my arse, and there was a load of people there.

Dunno if you went, but there is a cave lower down with a pool in it.

Someone put some ornamental fish (orfe or golden Rudd?) in and now there's millions of em. Lad fed em a country slice!

This!! Absolutely!! Work has been an absolute shitter this year so far with redundancy threats, 0% pay rise, no bonuses, etc, etc. Took Tuesday off and climbed Loughrigg Fell in The Lakes. Beautiful sunny day and views to die for. Loved it up at the top. Complete silence and nobody around. It's why I've always done a lot of walking and mountain biking to sometimes just get away from everybody and everything. Mrs Manc used to work for CityLink and found out one Xmas Day that they'd gone bust. The stress she suffered was unbelievable, coming out in hives, rashes, severe headaches, the lot. Got her to come cycling/walking with me. She's completely moved from "fuck walking boots, I'm buying Jimmy Choo's" to nagging the life out of me every week to go for a walk or bike ride. Even she's bought into the fact that being outside and with nature is really calming so I'm with you - it really does rebalance you

Aye stress is the cause of a lot of other illnesses imo.  

I used to go on long retreats (can't do it these days so easy) and go walking on the Pennines loads when I was living up there.  Good with company but could be awesome by myself in a way that's hard to describe.

I don't think being mentally 'reet' or on an even keel is that hard really - it's basic.  It's just that our lives are so far removed from basic.  I would imagine some folk are more susceptible to the effects than others though?  A bit like how some folk gain weight easy and some stay skinny . . .

Someone put some ornamental fish (orfe or golden Rudd?) in and now there's millions of em. Lad fed em a country slice!

Blowing out of my arse barely describes how I felt and my arthritic toes were on fire but felt really good at the end. Made the "mistake" of parking at White Moss Wood and walking up via Loughrigg Terrace. Better route apparently is starting at Grasmere. Yeah went to the cave but the dry weather meant that the water was only about an inch deep and there wasn't a fish to be seen

Good with company but could be awesome by myself in a way that's hard to describe.

I find it quite easy to describe. In one word......silence. Sometimes I just simply want to be by myself and not have to talk to anybody. Because my job is in sales I'm talking all day to people and then when I'm home I've got a house full of people to talk to. So sometimes I just want to be somewhere where there is absolutely nobody that I need to speak to.

Someone put some ornamental fish (orfe or golden Rudd?) in and now there's millions of em. Lad fed em a country slice while I netted em

Blowing out of my arse barely describes how I felt and my arthritic toes were on fire but felt really good at the end. Made the "mistake" of parking at White Moss Wood and walking up via Loughrigg Terrace. Better route apparently is starting at Grasmere. Yeah went to the cave but the dry weather meant that the water was only about an inch deep and there wasn't a fish to be seen

Mystery solved :) 

eh?

I think he is saying he has only had a wage increase as a result of new government legislation

Back on topic. I'm surprised how many on here have had a dance with depression. Is it a good thing as more can openly discuss or worrying we have more sufferers?

Edited by tomski

I'm surprised how many on here have had a dance with depression. Is it a good thing as more can openly discuss or worrying we have more sufferers?

I think that there have always been a lot of people who have suffered with mental health issues, to one degree or another. It's something that people can talk about more openly now, which is a good thing.

This place is a pretty good snap shot of society as a whole I reckon, we have everything on here from mansion dwellers to those who live in garages - so a pretty decent cross section.

• Site Supporter

I think he is saying he has only had a wage increase as a result of new government legislation

Back on topic. I'm surprised how many on here have had a dance with depression. Is it a good thing as more can openly discuss or worrying we have more sufferers?

Both I reckon. More open now, but I also believe it is more prevalent.

Both I reckon. More open now, but I also believe it is more prevalent.

Aye I do wonder. It's good folk are more comfortable with it now. A lot more to learn as a nation I feel. I wouldn't know where to start

I think that there have always been a lot of people who have suffered with mental health issues, to one degree or another. It's something that people can talk about more openly now, which is a good thing.

I'm firmly going with this. In the past, mental illness, particularly depression, was a massive stigma that was encouraged to be hidden by the British "stiff upper lip"

A couple of years ago, when I was made redundant, I did a lot of family history research for my Mum whilst unemployed and found out the following

1. My Dad's uncle was found in a reservoir off Smithills Dean Road. A copper found his clothes folded up in a pile at the edge of the reservoir (a la Reggie Perrin) and found the body in the water (courtesy of a visit to the BEN archives in town) 

2. My Dad's first wife committed suicide (I was always told that she died of "an illness")

3. My cousin (on my Dad's side) spent 3 years in a psychiatric unit in Manc (with manic depression) after spending a year writing out The Bible in binary code

My Mum knew about number 2, obviously, but not 1 and 3. Her reaction was........"well you don't talk about these things do you?".

Sums it up for me 

spending a year writing out The Bible in binary code

What a hobby. 

I read something by Bob mortimer this week about the Athletico Mince podcast which was good:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/soon-we-were-asking-if-watfords-boss-could-scale-walls-with-a-scarf-ws0pwbq3j

This bit in particular:

And yet football has brought Mortimer a form of release. “When I was about 20, I suddenly fell into terrible depression — it would have been my last year of university, then a year on the dole in Brighton and then back to Middlesbrough, working for the probation service,” he said.

“It’s a terrible thing. It was very unexpected; no one to talk to, all those things. You’ve just got this sad, lonely journey thinking, ‘Will I get better, will I ever want to get up again?’ When it chemically hits you, there’s this cloud over you. I went on medication and stuff but just couldn’t get better. You get so used to feeling like that.

“If there was a constant in my life that I could judge my happiness on, it was my reaction to a Middlesbrough goal. I wish I could remember the game, because it was so important to me, but I was in the Holgate End at Ayresome Park and we scored and I jumped in the air and went mad and after I finished celebrating, I thought, ‘F***, I’m better’. Something else had obviously saved me, but without football I wouldn’t have had that moment.”

What a hobby.

I read something by Bob mortimer this week about the Athletico Mince podcast which was good:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/soon-we-were-asking-if-watfords-boss-could-scale-walls-with-a-scarf-ws0pwbq3j

This bit in particular:

And yet football has brought Mortimer a form of release. “When I was about 20, I suddenly fell into terrible depression — it would have been my last year of university, then a year on the dole in Brighton and then back to Middlesbrough, working for the probation service,” he said.

“It’s a terrible thing. It was very unexpected; no one to talk to, all those things. You’ve just got this sad, lonely journey thinking, ‘Will I get better, will I ever want to get up again?’ When it chemically hits you, there’s this cloud over you. I went on medication and stuff but just couldn’t get better. You get so used to feeling like that.

“If there was a constant in my life that I could judge my happiness on, it was my reaction to a Middlesbrough goal. I wish I could remember the game, because it was so important to me, but I was in the Holgate End at Ayresome Park and we scored and I jumped in the air and went mad and after I finished celebrating, I thought, ‘F***, I’m better’. Something else had obviously saved me, but without football I wouldn’t have had that moment.”

Ace haha

I remember similar about the night we beat Burnley at the reebok when we'd just poached Coyle.

I was in the middle of a big fuck off breakdown and the lowest ebb of my life with absolutely all sorts going on including a broken ankle.

My dad helped me limp to the match on crutches. For that brief 90 minutes everything was ok and all my emotion poured out when we beat em. Probably looked like I fuckin despised them at 90 mins but in reality it was nothing to do with the match haha

• Site Supporter

One thing that gets me is not wanting to be in with loads of people- shopping etc.

Was once talking to a counsellor about this, but she was surprised I was comfortable going to the match.

I explained that whilst there everyone was had a common interest and no one was judging you. She acknowledged that- perhaps that's the power of the game!

That said, I felt unable to go to a number of games this season- not a problem being in the ground but just getting out of a shrinking comfort zone.

Daft thing is, I was getting more stressed sitting at home feeling unable to contribute, if that makes sense.

Still get a bit anxious pretty much everyday, particularly in the morning, which is quite common. Not 'life inhibiting' though and wears off once I get going.

• Moderators

What a hobby.

This bit in particular:

Seems as good a place as any to link to bob's recent "song for healing"

https://twitter.com/RealBobMortimer/status/860874634144755714?s=09

One thing that gets me is not wanting to be in with loads of people- shopping etc.

Was once talking to a counsellor about this, but she was surprised I was comfortable going to the match.

I explained that whilst there everyone was had a common interest and no one was judging you. She acknowledged that- perhaps that's the power of the game!

In exactly the same, can't abide busy places but love going to the footy and to gigs.

Like you say everyone there has a common goal and interests. Theme parks and shopping centres when the schools are off are my idea of hell on earth.

• Site Supporter

In exactly the same, can't abide busy places but love going to the footy and to gigs.

Like you say everyone there has a common goal and interests. Theme parks and shopping centres when the schools are off are my idea of hell on earth.

Bingo.

A couple of years back while I was being experimented on, my head was all over the place. Guts were wrecked by tablets and felt like the Hindenburg.

Was at Alton towers just before the accident, coat holding and trying to stay sane. Got lumbered with three little nieces on the gondola as it swung around. Absolute fucking hell