Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

8 minutes ago, Traf said:

It is estimated that as much as £17bn of the £47bn the government spent on bounce-back loans for businesses will never be paid back and about £5bn of that is suspected to have been lost to fraud.

I’m surprised the govt are estimated to get as much as £30 bn paid back,i’d thought if would have been much less due to the amount of businesses genuinely failing after taking out the BB loan.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I’m surprised the govt are estimated to get as much as £30 bn paid back,i’d thought if would have been much less due to the amount of businesses genuinely failing after taking out the BB loan.

Iirc, it's said that quite a lot has been clawed back already. 

I would imagine the bulk of what will come back, already has. Longer it goes on, the more difficult it will be. 

On 25/05/2021 at 15:20, Farrelli said:

We don't know large parts of what went on yet during this pandemic, there will be an inquiry to come.  What we do know is that we locked down too late and then came out of lockdown too soon.  Whilst the government were busy promoting eat out to help out scheme a second wave was building momentum. 

Then there is the world class track and trace system which has cost about £37 billion and has been a disaster.  Baroness Did Harding was given the gig because she was a horsey friend of Hancock.  They did not consult the existing NHS expertise in this area and that could have saved so much wasted time and resource.

The government continue to communicate poorly when decisive messaging is required, (see today were Bolton, Blackburn, Kirklees councils are complaining how the amended rules have not been clearly communicated).  How can these councils manage the situation if the government does not tell them what the local amendments are?  

Then we come to PPE and face masks.  The way PPE was administered in the first part of the pandemic was completely inadequate for frontline health workers and we now know that the government were favouring their friends over established competent manufacturers.  For example, they awarded a £250 million contract to a US Jewelry company who had never produced any PPE before and paid a middleman £50 million in the process.

The negligent way care homes were treated in the first lockdown is shameful.  They were left in limbo dealing with a rush of hospital discharges with hardly any PPE or suitable resources.   Johnson later had the audacity to blame care home management for not following the guidelines.

Then we had the Cummings debacle when we had to swallow the bullshit about testing his eyesight in a drive to Barnard Castle.  Johnson should have made the right call and sacked him then.  Instead he insulted everyone in the country who had lost family members whilst following the rules on staying socially distant even as their loved ones died.

I could forgive most of the above if he had the decency to front up with some humility about these errors.  I understand this was an unprecedented situation and was difficult to manage. It's not the mistakes themselves, it's the cover ups, the bullshit, the lack of decency and zero integrity shown by this man, a disgrace to the office.  

One year on but I’ll stick with every word of this.   

11 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

One year on but I’ll stick with every word of this.   

Apart from the fact in April 21, one month before your post that you stand by every word of , track and trace had cost less than 14bn. Some spending that in 4 weeks, 23bn? Wowzers 

3 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We've paid ours back.

10 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Apart from the fact in April 21, one month before your post that you stand by every word of , track and trace had cost less than 14bn. Some spending that in 4 weeks, 23bn? Wowzers 

And it’s also noticeable he only does negative stuff about the government, they did make plenty of good decisions throughout Covid, boils my piss folk who see everything through the lens of political indoctrination. 

I'm fairly anti-Tory too, but the above is true. The T&T service which was more than just the implementation and provision of an app cost £13.5bn in the first year from a total budget of £22.1bn

Yes fair comment. It was reported at that time it had consumed that amount but later transpired 37 billion was the budget for two years. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

Yes fair comment. It was reported at that time it had consumed that amount but later transpired 37 billion was the budget for two years. 

Which means £23 billion wasn’t spent from an allocated budget.

Would cover a lot of energy price increases would that.

Wonder where it was re-allocated?

Edited by Spider

33 minutes ago, Spider said:

Which means £23 billion wasn’t spent from an allocated budget.

Would cover a lot of energy price increases would that.

Wonder where it was re-allocated?

I trust this government to use the money wisely as they always act with integrity 

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Some seriously dodgy shit passed through the Lords last night. The Electoral Commision will no longer be independent of Government.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/while-you-werent-looking-the-tories-took-over-the-electoral-commission-320881/

It's drip drip drip like this which establishes autocracies and we all know how dangerous those are

• Site Supporter

🚨🚨🚨🚨 BRACE YOUR FUCKING SELVES FOR A BREXIT BONUS 🚨🚨🚨

just been in the co-op for some butter.

Lurpak - Made in Denmark - £5.50 a pat.

Anchor - Made in Wiltshire - £2.50 a pat.

Thats why I voted to leave, you faithless bastards. Brexit is back ON baby.

6E14DA24-A6F4-404B-998F-26E037443178.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

🚨🚨🚨🚨 BRACE YOUR FUCKING SELVES FOR A BREXIT BONUS 🚨🚨🚨

just been in the co-op for some butter.

Lurpak - Made in Denmark - £5.50 a pat.

Anchor - Made in Wiltshire - £2.50 a pat.

Thats why I voted to leave, you faithless bastards. Brexit is back ON baby.

6E14DA24-A6F4-404B-998F-26E037443178.jpeg

We'll all be scoffing Australian butter soon, now we have a trade deal... makes sense to ship it half  the way around the world

5 minutes ago, Dimron said:

We'll all be scoffing Australian butter soon, now we have a trade deal... makes sense to ship it half  the way around the world

This has reminded me, I was walking the dog early doors yesterday and I thought I saw a Muncjac but the bugger was bouncing on its back legs, i think it was a wallaby, looks like this little bugger has done it again https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-60110301

Nowt to do with politics except it wouldn't have happened under Labour