Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Each to their own and I won’t spout off to anybody but I’m amazed folk think Abbott, McDonnell, Thornbury, Rayner, Long Bailey are a better option to run the country than any of the other parties. I’d rather have Jimmy Krankee and her Scottish loons running the whole show

I don't think anyone thinks they are a good option or a desirable one. But if I want to stop Brexit and fundamentally am opposed to the Tory party policies - I've got to either vote Lib Dem, Labour or Green. 

And I suspect many will face this choice and have to make a call. I think the Tories (who will win) are the worst possible option. 

• Members
17 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Well if it is to me, why wouldn’t it be to you?

Ive votes conservative before and may yet do so again, but not in this election 

If you're voting from a Remain perspective (democracy denier) then why not become one of Swinsons swine?

What is the point of voting for an avowed Marxist who is a doddery old useless fucker but has a much more sinister bastard waiting to knife him and take over?

21 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I broadly agree but the issue is that people also need to vote for something they believe in, rather than just voting to minimise something they don't. The fact that Labour has spectacularly failed to offer something for people to believe in - and that you say, were not voting for them until you looked at the tactical options screams out how they've failed.

I don't want Johnson or Corbyn in number 10 and that's the issue - if I vote for anyone else its a wasted vote. But there has never been a stronger argument for proportional representation than now. And both sides can see this - people who want to vote Lib Dem could, equally people who want to vote Brexit party but are worried if they do they might see the Tories lose a seat could without any fear. 

People talk about a GE and direct representation - we've never ever seen so spectacularly as now why that fails. 

21 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

If you're voting from a Remain perspective (democracy denier) then why not become one of Swinsons swine?

What is the point of voting for an avowed Marxist who is a doddery old useless fucker but has a much more sinister bastard waiting to knife him and take over?

He could vote Lib Dem if we had PR system. That's the issue. But if you want to stop Brexit then you have to vote in a way that stops the Tories from winning. Voting Lib Dem where they cannot win a seat won't do that. Its why the system needs an overhaul - people are disenfranchised on all sides. 

650 MPs. This now a one issue election so could easily see all Scotland MPs going Pro Europe.

This means Leave would need 326 MPs from 590 seats. 

18 in Ireland could all oppose the current deal so that drops to 572 seats. Although Sinn Fein do not take theirs up.

If TBP split the Leave vote it could change the vote in a way no one is expecting. 

1 minute ago, Ani said:

650 MPs. This now a one issue election so could easily see all Scotland MPs going Pro Europe.

18 in Ireland could all oppose the current deal so that drops to 572 seats. Although Sinn Fein do not take theirs up.

If TBP split the Leave vote it could change the vote in a way no one is expecting. 

It all comes down to the Tories winning a majority. Which polls suggest they will comfortably. And whilst people point to 2017 - the circumstances are different and lightning isn't likely to strike twice here.

The Tories have a deal - and can clearly say - vote for us if you want this Brexit deal.

Labour have a more nuanced message that says - we will negotiate a new deal and then have a referendum. It sort of makes sense but also will be seen as confused.

The Lib Dems have a clear - we want to revoke message.

So the problem is that remain doesn't have a clear home - its split and they argue amongst themselves. The Brexit party might play some part but hard to see them splitting out the Brexit vote as heavily. 

I think a Tory majority of 30-60 will be the result. I'd love to be wrong but hard to see how. 

I note Boris won't rule out changing seats - there are concerns he might lose his current one - bit chicken if you ask me!

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Ani said:

Mounts says it’s a Tory landslide which means you’re wrong.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Ani said:

The Scotland issue, is quite interesting. Listening to debates, there seems to be quite a bit of criticism of the SNP on their performance locally.

Yes they may fight strongly on their independence manifesto but that's what TM did last time; mainly on brexit and she came a cropper.

Voted apathy could be the biggest issue. Just spoke to my mum, never gone anywhere other than labour. Now isn't voting as she reckons the hoc is a shower of shit.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Hung parliament - more bickering over terms - missing Jan deadline - back cap in hand

Did you see McDonald earlier. He said labour would form a minority government if necessary, no deals. Then went on to say they'd get their wished through. Really? Good luck there!

He also said if necessary, they'd go back to the people!

Circles.

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Did you see McDonald earlier. He said labour would form a minority government if necessary, no deals. Then went on to say they'd get their wished through. Really? Good luck there!

He also said if necessary, they'd go back to the people!

Circles.

Go back to the people and ignore the result again. Best of 5 would it be then and so on and so on

Just now, Escobarp said:

Go back to the people and ignore the result again. Best of 5 would it be then and so on and so on

Labour's policy is 2nd referendum - based on a deal they'd have to negotiate. So if by some miracle they end up the largest party then they will at some point be "going back to the people". 

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I predict

Tories largest party, but not a majority 

Brexit Party to win enough to create a majority with the Conservatives

Tory party with a majority of around 40. Brexit party don't win a single seat.

More people vote for Greens, Labour and Lib Dems combined but Tories claim clear mandate for their deal. Which passes through parliament and we leave in January. 

5 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Tory party with a majority of around 40. Brexit party don't win a single seat.

More people vote for Greens, Labour and Lib Dems combined but Tories claim clear mandate for their deal. Which passes through parliament and we leave in January. 

I’ll take that now!

27 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Labour's policy is 2nd referendum - based on a deal they'd have to negotiate. So if by some miracle they end up the largest party then they will at some point be "going back to the people". 

For what point though? To carry on until remain wins? That would seem to be what the basis of it is to me. We went to the people and ignored them. So why go Back? 

It’s nonsensical 

14 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I’ll take that now!

Agreed. And get the ear muffs ready because the screeching and whining will be fever pitch when it happens

i will be drowning it out with my laughter for a period of time. 

As I’ve said yesterday let’s see how history then looks back at those who stopped Brexit from happening for so long 

i am am actually amazed we come from the same species at times seeing how some have and continue to behave. Certainly wasn’t how I was brought up to behave. 

Edited by Escobarp