Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Something is wrong when the Italians are the best and the Chinks can't match it...

Sorry Spider, I do realise that is below the belt in your circumstances. 

The Italians are renowned for engineering excellence, not just food and reversing tanks.

its a niche product and to set up the required manufacturing to make it to the quality needed costs daft money. It would be worth doing if you had a market of 20+ countries, but the UK isn’t big enough in isolation.

It’s a genuine consequence. I’m past the point of arguing but to suggest that our relationship is poor is wrong on a number of levels. Mounts, you are welcome to help with the negotiations but please be mindful that they are increasing costs because they have to, not to stitch us up.

ill send you a detailed email that explains it if you wish, but in the meantime refresh your knowledge of WTO and EU schedules, these are very important.

• Site Supporter

I’ll say again, it could be that brexit makes the UK a global superpower, and my company will be in a minute amount of businesses that died as a result.

You'll have to forgive me if I don’t jump for joy at the prospect of being one of those that were sacrificed at the altar of sovereignty. I’ve worked my cunt off all my life and to lose out because of a vote that was more jingoistic than educated would be of slim comfort to the mouths I have to feed.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Find it amazing that only Italy and China produce said valve. Let’s hope exchange rate helps you out when the increase kicks in. If I was running your business  I’d be searching high and low to replace Italian manufacturer and sending samples of this valve to all and sundry to find cheaper manufacturer. By the way Italian manufacturer is a cunt he’s shafting you this has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with relationships. 

As usual, this fucking idiot thinks he knows better than experts in an industry he knows nothing about. Sums it all up. 

41 minutes ago, tkonion said:

I had been holidaying two or three times every year in Greece with my family before they joined the euro. The year after they joined prices for food and drink and all other goods we looked at were double what we had paid previously. We haven't been back since.

I am not suggesting there wasn't an increase but if they had doubled or tripled then the all the Euro economies would have collapsed. Just think about it, your weekly food bill goes from €150 to €300 or maybe €450 and then take that same principle to every other expenditure such as cars, furniture etc it simply didn't happen. Maybe it was the perception but certainly not the reality

4 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I am not suggesting there wasn't an increase but if they had doubled or tripled then the all the Euro economies would have collapsed. Just think about it, your weekly food bill goes from €150 to €300 or maybe €450 and then take that same principle to every other expenditure such as cars, furniture etc it simply didn't happen. Maybe it was the perception but certainly not the reality

Certainly food and drink and other touristy type stuff in the resort's went up massively, whether or not the price rises were across the board I have no way of knowing. Maybe wages had to increase to make up some or all of the difference for locals? 

The cost of the room-only holidays that we used to enjoy in Greece went from being very cheap pre-euro to being expensive when compared to other (non EU) destinations now.

1 minute ago, tkonion said:

Certainly food and drink and other touristy type stuff in the resort's went up massively, whether or not the price rises were across the board I have no way of knowing. Maybe wages had to increase to make up some or all of the difference for locals? 

The cost of the room-only holidays that we used to enjoy in Greece went from being very cheap pre-euro to being expensive when compared to other (non EU) destinations now.

I have no doubt there were some unscrupulous traders that looked to take advantage of the situation and i certainly saw 10 to 15% rises in Ireland. I frequently holiday in Lanzarote and i have always paid about the same or a bit less than the UK for a meal in an mid-ranged restaurant. Maybe the Greeks have had a different approach to pricing. 

• Members
11 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

not doubting they went up Tom but for Bolty to suggest they doubled or tripled as a direct result of changing currency is just complete nonsense

Let me spell it out. I did not suggest it. Italian relatives did. It may be a complete myth borne of perception rather than fact - I don't know.

What I don't get is your reaction? Surely you are not pro the UK being in the Euro?

• Members
51 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I have no doubt there were some unscrupulous traders that looked to take advantage of the situation and i certainly saw 10 to 15% rises in Ireland. I frequently holiday in Lanzarote and i have always paid about the same or a bit less than the UK for a meal in an mid-ranged restaurant. Maybe the Greeks have had a different approach to pricing. 

.....and maybe the southern Italians? I will await an apology for the 'liar' jibe.

8 hours ago, Spider said:

The Italians are renowned for engineering excellence, not just food and reversing tanks.

its a niche product and to set up the required manufacturing to make it to the quality needed costs daft money. It would be worth doing if you had a market of 20+ countries, but the UK isn’t big enough in isolation.

It’s a genuine consequence. I’m past the point of arguing but to suggest that our relationship is poor is wrong on a number of levels. Mounts, you are welcome to help with the negotiations but please be mindful that they are increasing costs because they have to, not to stitch us up.

ill send you a detailed email that explains it if you wish, but in the meantime refresh your knowledge of WTO and EU schedules, these are very important.

Please do I’d be interested to read it.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Spider said:

I’ll say again, it could be that brexit makes the UK a global superpower, and my company will be in a minute amount of businesses that died as a result.

You'll have to forgive me if I don’t jump for joy at the prospect of being one of those that were sacrificed at the altar of sovereignty. I’ve worked my cunt off all my life and to lose out because of a vote that was more jingoistic than educated would be of slim comfort to the mouths I have to feed.

have you told your colleagues you voted leave?

12 hours ago, Spider said:

What do you do spider

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Arron Banks has been referred to the National Crime Agency for his part in the funding for the Leave campaign

Lock him Up! Lock him Up! Lock him Up!

Proper dodgy cunt is Banks. Basically a Putin puppet. Brexiters who defend him are basically saying "we don't care if nefarious foreign powers mess about with our democratic systems and break our laws - as long as we get to say we won". True patriots. 

6 hours ago, Cheese said:

Proper dodgy cunt is Banks. Basically a Putin puppet. Brexiters who defend him are basically saying "we don't care if nefarious foreign powers mess about with our democratic systems and break our laws - as long as we get to say we won". True patriots. 

It's worth pointing out a few facts, as opposed to wild assertions which may or not prove to be true.

The Banks/Farage set-up was not the official leave campaign - that privilege was granted to the BoJo/Gove outfit.

The case against the Conservative MP Craig McKinlay for his misdemeanours in the 2015 General Election when he kept Farage out of Parliament was due to go to trial on 14 May 2018, but it has been delayed to a future date not yet known [it's today!].

From facts to conjecture: the Banks/Farage group would not have won the referendum. Furthermore, if Farage had been elected in 2015 he would have antagonised enough people to lose the referendum.

Edited by MalcolmW
update

40 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Furthermore, if Farage had been elected in 2015 he would have antagonised enough people to lose the referendum.

Agree 100%, if he'd ever fluked a seat, the country probably wouldn't now be leaving the EU

Strange how things turn out

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking to a load of Polish lads today.

a few came back fro England years ago due to the boom in construction in Warsaw.

last came here in ‘99, it’s totally transformed since then and work is still booming.

great lads even though they woke me up first thing.

Ty glupia cipo :D