Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I still haven't heard a reason why this is such a terrible thing, folk need to remember it doesn't mean we lose our own National army

We won’t lose ours, as we won’t be in the EU after October 31st.

Hope that helps.

7 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I still haven't heard a reason why this is such a terrible thing, folk need to remember it doesn't mean we lose our own National army

A few answers for you here

https://www.quora.com/Why-would-an-EU-army-be-a-good-or-bad-idea

As I said, remember when the EU said they had no intention of forming an army ?

Lo and behold, the new lady in charge has always been championing the cause...quell surprise.

• Site Supporter
Just now, miamiwhite said:

Precisely mate.

The EU are nothing but power mad, greedy, corrupt freaks.

How can a Union of 28 countries be "power mad"? Every decision made in the EU has to be agreed by its members.

"Power mad" is the Conservative leadership, who openly admit that their plans will result in British people losing their jobs, but are willing to go through with it anyway in the misguided belief that it will keep them in Government.

23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

And guess which of those 28 countries has the most citizens living in an EU country that isn't their own...

I'll have a stab at UK retired expats, soaking up the Spanish sun, whilst telling everyone that the EU is a terrible idea.

5 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

NATO stood by and watched Russia annexe the Crimea a few years ago.

Crimea has passed between Russia and Ukraine before.

When Khrushchev took power following Stalin's death he transferred Crimea from Russia to Ukraine in the hope of demonstrating to those driven out by Stalin that they could return in safety (although hardly any did so). 

If/when Putin invades Estonia how long do you think it will take before an EU Army opposes?

Just now, MalcolmW said:

Crimea has passed between Russia and Ukraine before.

When Khrushchev took power following Stalin's death he transferred Crimea from Russia to Ukraine in the hope of demonstrating to those driven out by Stalin that they could return in safety (although hardly any did so). 

If/when Putin invades Estonia how long do you think it will take before an EU Army opposes?

I'm just pointing out that NATO is not an effective force in these situations either.

What did Trump call them 'obsolete' ?

20 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

He was provoked into action by the EU

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I get the impression you'd blame the EU if your car broke down. 

I work with someone who has a similar attitude. He blames the EU for closing all his local pubs. And apparently it's the EU's fault we have so many cycle lanes. He's not even thick - just brainwashed, like you. 

Edited by Cheese

Just now, boltondiver said:

Come on BD, Putin is a law unto himself. If a sovereign country like the Ukraine wants to be more westernised it should not precipitate their larger neighbour into annexing part of that country. I appreciate there are far deeper and historical factors but you cannot lay that one at the EU's door.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Then why bother?

We're all in NATO so why another layer of expense?

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, I'm just not sure why folk think it's the worst thing that's ever been suggested

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

We are good friends👍

Never doubted it. Just find it a bit weird when miami starts using real names, totally unprompted, and talking about people's kids. Just seems a bit off. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Sweep said:

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, I'm just not sure why folk think it's the worst thing that's ever been suggested

For a start, the events or proposed events mentioned by others would have received a limp dick response from any EU army. Without us, they wouldn't dare take on Putins forces.

Then add in the unnecessary expense and you have your answer.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Despite increased support from its population, Ukraine isn't a member of NATO. (Unless that's changed very recently)

An EU army also allows the USA to opt out of assisting should anything kick off over here.

The area (as malc pointed out) isn't clear cut. A united nations effort may be more appropriate- although I wouldn't hold my breath.

31 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Despite increased support from its population, Ukraine isn't a member of NATO. (Unless that's changed very recently)

An EU army also allows the USA to opt out of assisting should anything kick off over here.

The area (as malc pointed out) isn't clear cut. A united nations effort may be more appropriate- although I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes it's a very murky part of the world in terms of international alliances and Putin took full advantage of this.

58 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Anyone see Peston last night?

Explanation as to why a no deal Brexit threat is not the amazing negotiating card some think it is:

Bullshit brexiteer bingo checklist

1.Holding all the cards 'check - bullshit'.

2.German car manufacturers rely on us - 'check - bullshit'.

3.They need us as much as we need them -'check - bullshit'.

4.Our economy will only take a minor hit - 'check - bullshit'.

House!

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Bullshit brexiteer bingo checklist

1.Holding all the cards 'check - bullshit'.

2.German car manufacturers rely on us - 'check - bullshit'.

3.They need us as much as we need them -'check - bullshit'.

4.Our economy will only take a minor hit - 'check - bullshit'.

House!

any mention of the war?