Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What Away Fans Must Have Thought Landing At Bolton In The 70S.

leigh white

• Members

Well you'd both be partially incorrect then. Not 'proved wrong' I am afraid Cassie - best to be sure of your facts before you pull the trigger owd son.

Eusebio was originally known as the black panther and later as the black pearl.

Pele was the black pearl (a perola negra) - especially for those of us privileged to be in the presence of the great man at Bromwich Street.

http://www.notablebiographies.com/Ni-Pe/Pel.html

I guarantee you that if you Google 'footballer the black pearl' it won't be Eusebio's photo's you immediately see.

Stick to politics mate.................

Edited by bolty58

• Members

just had a look and the odd obscure site agrees with you

definitely eusebio, cobber

Listen pal - Pele was being called The Black Pearl in the 1962 WC Finals in Chile. I am not even sure that Eusebio was in '66 as I recall 'the Black Panther' nickname then. 

My first recollection of Eusebio having the other nickname was around the time Benfica lost to the DMB's in the European Cup Final.

Just shut the fuck up and listen to one who wasn't still in nappies at the time.

Edited to say that I might be under selling myself here. I think Pele may have got the Black Pearl label at Sweden '58.

Edited by bolty58

how times have changed

clyde best from bermuda

i think notts county had pedro richards and a black guy

similarly orient had two black players, one being heppolette, who it turned out had family links to bolton (this might be the preston fella who ive just discovered wasnt black but was born in india)

Ricky Heppolette had relations in Grendon St, Morris Green where i was born. The Heppolettes are cousins of Nigel Short the chess grandmaster.

Like the Heppolettes, he also visited our street regularly as a kid to see his Grandma Bickerstaffe RIP. She lived at No.18

Malcolm. W facts like this are priceless and not available online.

• Site Supporter

As late as the 87/88 season, when we were promoted from Div 4, I vividly remember bananas being thrown onto the pitch during the home game with Rochdale.

I didn't know it was still going on in late 80s but certainly remember Viv Richards being the target of some banana chuckers 10 or so years earlier.

So in the 70s and 80s did we have the hardest fans ever?

Got to be Forest's, their infamous 1,2,3,4,5 chant could land them with an ABH charge.

I didn't know it was still going on in late 80s but certainly remember Viv Richards being the target of some banana chuckers 10 or so years earlier.

Pretty sure you mean Pedro Richards, Viv would have probably gone in to the crowd with a couple of his mates to sort it out.

• Site Supporter

Pretty sure you mean Pedro Richards, Viv would have probably gone in to the crowd with a couple of his mates to sort it out.

God, you've got me thinking now. Always remember it was a black guy called Richards. Either way, it was around 76/77

As late as the 87/88 season, when we were promoted from Div 4, I vividly remember bananas being thrown onto the pitch during the home game with Rochdale.

Better than oranges; we had segments at half time and they did fuck all for me

Bananas give you the boost when you need it; plus City fans used to take massive plastic fuckers with therm - in Peter Kays words 'whats all that about'

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

Ricky Heppolette had relations in Grendon St, Morris Green where i was born. The Heppolettes are cousins of Nigel Short the chess grandmaster.

Like the Heppolettes, he also visited our street regularly as a kid to see his Grandma Bickerstaffe RIP. She lived at No.18

Malcolm. W facts like this are priceless and not available online.

Remember Nigel Short - sure he was from Daubhill (centre of the universe)